Top speed - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh1156 View Post
I guess I'm either a wuss or an old fart, but why do you need to go that fast?
I'm personally not in that big a hurry and have nothing to prove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
"Because it's there."

George Leigh Mallory

(In March 1923, in an interview with The New York Times, the British mountaineer George Leigh Mallory was asked why he wanted to climb Mount Everest, and replied, 'Because it's there'. The answer became famous, not least because Mallory himself was lost on Everest in the following year. It was sometimes suggested that he and his fellow-climber Andrew Irvine, who were last seen 'going strong for the summit', might in fact have reached it before their deaths, but there was no proof.

In May 1999, 75 years later, the body of George Mallory was found on Everest, and the press coverage surrounding the discovery focused again on Mallory's 'Because it's there' as a statement summarizing the mountaineer's reasons for climbing. )

Some folks , like me, just like to go fast....we are not "out to prove anything" we just like the feeling of excitement in moving along the earth as fast as we are able to go. With all things there are risks, but what is the point of life if you never take risks?
That cheeseburger you are shoving in your face may in fact be more dangerous than a 100+mph jaunt down a deserted highway.

Not saying it is something one should do all the time, but if you own a motorcyle and have never "see what she can do" you really just don't , and likely never will, get it.
KM
Many people consider motorcycle riding too dangerous. Therefore, anyone riding a motorcycle could be considered a risk taker by some standards. Certainly motorcycle riding carries a higher risk of injury and/or death than moving in a cage. Yet pretty much everyone on this forum rides motorcycles, or at least aspires to.

The rub is in individual perceptions of risk and need to satisfy an exhilaration/adrenaline rush. Some riders express this by wearing novelty or no helmets and are perceived as less than brilliant by bikers who insist on more melon protection. Similarly, those who ride at the upper (speed) limits of their rides are considered by others to be a few bricks shy of a load.

To say that someone really doesn't get it until they fall into my group is a simplistic argument stopper and misses a valid point. Not everyone is going to agree on everyting. On he need to "see what my bike will do" I'm like msh1156. It goes fast enough for me at 75 and gets me there fast enough, thank you very much. When it comes to head protection, I agree with KM, only the best will do.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Calif Rider

I am an old fart also, but at that speed or close to it the feel of the rushing wind and the excitement is just great. I really only do it for short bursts, to much excitement could be bad for us old farts.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
"Because it's there."

Some folks , like me, just like to go fast....we are not "out to prove anything" we just like the feeling of excitement in moving along the earth as fast as we are able to go. With all things there are risks, but what is the point of life if you never take risks?
That cheeseburger you are shoving in your face may in fact be more dangerous than a 100+mph jaunt down a deserted highway.

KM
X2....same here!!!!!

PEACE!!!

2005 Vulcan 750

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Straight roads are evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
I think he was joking about the GPS. Let's be honest, who has never been above the speed limit?
No, I was being careful. Never, ever admit to illegal actions on a public forum. So, for the record: I was doing the speed limit. My silly GPS said 114 mph, but since I'll only admit to the speed limit, it must have been wrong.

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQPlayer View Post
No, I was being careful. Never, ever admit to illegal actions on a public forum. So, for the record: I was doing the speed limit. My silly GPS said 114 mph, but since I'll only admit to the speed limit, it must have been wrong.
Umm, yeah.... that's what I meant to say too!!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
.......To say that someone really doesn't get it until they fall into my group is a simplistic argument stopper and misses a valid point. Not everyone is going to agree on everyting.... .

I'm pretty sure I was not attaching a value judgement to what I said. I do not expect everyone to agree. I was merely pointing out the facts...if you are one of those folks that NEVER would feel an urge to "see what your bike can do.." meaning see how fast you can go before you scare the crap out of yourself, (and actualy give in to that urge at some point) you will never understand WHY someone else would.

And one also has to accept the fact that some folks idea of what is "fast" is going to be different. This is merely ones own perception and of course no two will be the same. And I was not saying anything is wrong with that. It just falls into ones point of view.

I think those who don't wear real helmets are crazy. I do not think those that have taken their bikes to it's limits are nuts....and I am aware that some however do. They don't "get it" and likely never will. Doesn't mean I think they are nuts...or that they are "wrong" .....

One also has to consider that ones perceptions can be conditioned , or learned over time. Those that have logged hours of track time going ALOT faster than they ever do on the street have a different perception of what is "too fast" and have a different view on what their own limits are.

Your statement "The rub is in individual perceptions of risk and need to satisfy an exhilaration/adrenaline rush." Makes it sound that folks that go fast do it just for the "rush" or excitement. That is not always the case. As "individual perceptions of risk " would of course mean that some might think going 70 mph is fast and exciting...while to others that might be slow and not exciting at all.

And as said if you don't want to go 100 mph I ain't saying there is someting wrong with you nor would I call you a wuss or an old fart. But in turn... those that are comparing me to someone that does not wear a helmet because I feel comfortable riding at 100 mph...that is making a value judgement and is a bit offensive.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 02:36 AM

Garage
I have seen pver 100 a couple of times on mine and to be honest when ia m going that fast I am watchin where I am going and whats going on around me,I have the oversize tires and when i dared aglance down the other day i was above110 and it was tight so i backed down ,when 80 feels slow you have been going fast. The four of us ,1- Electra glide standard 1-VTX 1300 1-CBR100000RR-And one VN750 onn the four lane slab,We pulled on RT3 and i jacked mine up alittle and ran thru the gears,was felling pretty good til that red rocket went by me,Quickly.I settled down to aroind 70 and here comes these othe two on those big old baggers a thinkin they was bad ,well it all went down hill from there,I wanted toteach those other two V-twins that size really dont matterand took arunn at them and went bythem like they were tied up,caught the cbr and went around him,I asure you that was a very temporary situation,but then here come these other two bozos .like they were going to a fire and passed me again,I slowed down alittle and dropped agear and cranked it over eight grand before I shfted and went by those two,not to be caught again since Ted's house was a couple of miles down the road and watched him and that CBR play with me the rest of the way,After i left Ted's the other two stayed around awhile and Ted laughed at them for letting a 750 roast both of them and said it came up in conversation by the other two that that old kaw runs pretty good ,Robert thye one on the Electra glide said and Randy on the VTX said ,runs good nothing ,I looked down and was doing around 97 when he went around me and I couldn't catch him .Either one of those two should have outrun me on top end because they both have legs if they will hold it to 'em on the top end but they just ran out of time .115 would be a realistic expectation for top speed on Vn750 with some faster and some slower,the limitations of engine redline and gearing kinda sets the limit.... and if you ain't stepping up to th edge every now and then you are always taking up too much space

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 06-12-2009 at 02:39 AM.
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
And as said if you don't want to go 100 mph I ain't saying there is someting wrong with you nor would I call you a wuss or an old fart. KM
Dang, am I bassackwards or something, as an old fart I have more experience than most youngsters, a lot less to loose, no children depending on me to raise them, would not have to be taken care of as long if something did happen, I think maybe thats why I feel braver than I used to, so why not kick him up and see how Clyde will run, as long as I don't endanger someone else...???
I try to know and not pass my ability limits, but I have done that a time or two, but not always because of speed, usually due to the head being up the arse...
BTW-I could almost hit the 115 mark, but not quite, and that was with the stock 100 front tire and by our speedo, so I wonder if I was even doing 105mph...
I don't know, thats just how I sorta feel about it, being an old fart, that is...lol...
Have a good one...Old (fart) Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
I think he was joking about the GPS. Let's be honest, who has never been above the speed limit?
I was taught any speed sign that was white with black writing was just a suggestion.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
if you ain't stepping up to th edge every now and then you are always taking up too much space

LOL, I have a sticker similar to that on my dirtbike...

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement