How to keep the stealership service shop honest and truthful - maybe? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Question How to keep the stealership service shop honest and truthful - maybe?

I just read Fire Ant`s rant about the stealership salesman assuring him when he bought the bike 8 months ago, that the rear splines had been greased, then discovering this weekend that they were absolutely dry and rusty. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11210

Is there a way to protect your bike and your wallet, when taking your bike in to be serviced? Maybe. With all the digital cameras including cellphones in use today, some of the folks working at the stealers have to have one. Why not request before and after pictures of all relevant servicing done to your bike be taken, downloaded to their computer and reviewed with you before settling the bill. It should not take more than a minute or two of their time to snap a few pics, and shouldn`t add anything to the bill, IMHO.

That way you can be sure that the work you are paying for has really been done. What do you all think? Would the dealer resist? A reputable one should be delighted to show off the first class work his shop does. If enough riders requested (demanded) it, then it could become a positive selling point for the good dealers.

If I take my car or pickup truck in for repair, I ask for all the old parts back, and I get them. I saw a show on TV years ago about a shop advertising a deal on new engines, but all they were doing, was power washing the engine compartment and painting the engine, then charging for the new one. It didn`t take long for complaints to get one of the TV networks to go undercover and expose the scam. Just another reason to ask to see all the old parts, or pictures of service on your car or bike.

So who will be first to try this approach, and report back to the forum?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 12:07 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

I like that idea...ALLOT... but still wont take a car let alone a bike in to have it serviced EVER!!! My grandfather did it once and well lets just say that parts fell off while driving down the street and they had the audacity to blame him for it...I blamed him to...for not asking me to do the work for him...may his soul rest in peace...THE BIG DUMMY!!!

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If somebody shows you a picture of splines covered in grease, or some other similar up close repair, how would a person know for sure which bike the part in the photo came from?

Seems they (the dealer) would have to take a series of pics, large pics showing the actual bike being taken down, repaired, and assembled in order for it to remove any doubt that a specific vehicle in question was repaired as stated, and it's hard to imagine a dealer spending time on a "photo array" like we see on the forums when someone does their own repair.

I can show you a pic of splines covered in grease, and regardless of what I tell you, you'll never really know if it's true.

And no matter what, it's always proven time and again, people find a way to cheat the system...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 06:56 AM

Garage
For those who take their bikes to dealer ships and don't have the time,money tools or knowledge,this is a great Idea.I do my own work but if I didn't I would be on this like a cheap suit !!!

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
ok, speaking from a mechanics point of view on this... since I have worked fleet, Independent and government as a wrench... this sounds all good and stuff for the average joe until you see the repair bill... a job that should have taken 2 hours, now takes 4 hours, becaseu of stopping every couple of minutes to take pictures. another reason this won't work, How do you know this is your vehicle getting fixed (after the parts have been removed)...

The best way to keep from getting screwed is to "drop" by while the vehicle is getting repairs made. this way you can actually talk to the wrech working on the bike, and make sure every thing is done the way you want it to be.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:15 PM

I think it's a great idea, especially because a digital camera will show the date/time of the pic. That said, I'm never taking my bike to a dealer again, EVER. That last bit with the valve stem was the proverbial straw - so, it's a great idea, Ol' Hoss, but I won't be the one giving it a go!

C
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Newb with a Bullet!

Yeah, I'm afraid they would charge you shop rates for the time and it would double the cost of repairs. Good idea, but they can still screw us with it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:18 PM

I agree with the points that others have made. #1, the stealership would use it as an excuse to add billable hours to the total, and #2, you'd have no idea if the parts you're getting the closeup of are yours (and, in the case of the splines, no way to check unless you tear apart the rear end and look, which pretty well defeats the purpose of taking it to the stealership in the first place).

My solution is to not take it to the dealer. Ever. I'm no mechanic, but I learn, and have a friend who is more than willing to teach me.

My first computer, for all intents and purposes, was one that I built myself with guidance from a computer tech (just after punch cards went out of style). I bought every piece for that computer and spent one Friday night putting it together to his instructions while he sat and watched. I figure that I paid about $200 more doing it that way than if I had just bought it off the shelf, but that $200 lesson on computer repair did much to lead me to where I am today. I intend to learn motorcycle repair in much the same way...

Now, to begin my nastygram to the dealer....

--FA

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:37 PM

Garage
I would be happy with a pic of the bike with the tire off, and one of the splines. After the tire is pulled they could take both pics right away, then get on with it.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Better yet, have the dealers just video tape the whole repair with hidden surveillance cameras. that way the employees have no idea they are being spied on, and then the dealership could charge an extra 10 bux per dvd... and you the customer will know exactly what they did to the bike...but you would have to sign a disclaimer so you can't sue the dealership for any kind of malpractice you see going on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement