Automobile drivers on my ass (literally) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Automobile drivers on my ass (literally)

I don't know if it is just Rhode Island drivers but it seems every time I go out some idiot wants to be up my ass. Most of the time I'm talking close enough to where I can't see their headlights in my mirrors. Do they just not understand that if the slightest thing happens and I need to stop or I lay down the bike they will not be able to stop if they are that close? Anyway. I just had to get that off my chest.... I mean ASS!

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Rhode Island doesn't have a lock on idiots. They're everywhere.

The best method I've found in dealing with tailgaters is to gently "wave" them back. Extend the left arm with the hand toward the ground and slowly move it as if you are pushing them back. If they back off, give them the thumbs up signal to thank them. If they don't, find a good place to let them by. It may be hard to use a gentle wave and avoid the other rigid digit sign when they are extremely close, but keep your cool. Folks respond better to requests, which is what the gentle wave is, than demands, and leaves a better impression of bikers. Plus, you are educating them for other bikers.

Good luck.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:15 AM

ya, i hate it in my truck when they do that, its even worse on the bike. i usually try to get there attention by doing mirror checks, if that don't work i give a slow down wave, left hand to the side & back a bit & wave my hand like im petting the dogs head. if nothing works i get myself out of there.

Last edited by dutter; 05-20-2009 at 10:21 AM.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 AM
At Least I Can Spell!

I have two methods to combat the butt-huggers.
1 - I extend my left arm downward and push back as does flightcontrol, adding in a few taps of the foot brake to enhance the experience with a bit of light. Almost always works.
2 - at rest I turn and point out the sticker on the back of the bike that says "Tailgaters Suck". They laugh and back off when we're moving again.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh1156 View Post
I have two methods to combat the butt-huggers.
1 - I extend my left arm downward and push back as does flightcontrol, adding in a few taps of the foot brake to enhance the experience with a bit of light. Almost always works.
2 - at rest I turn and point out the sticker on the back of the bike that says "Tailgaters Suck". They laugh and back off when we're moving again.
I gotta get me one of them stickers

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Rhode Island doesn't have a lock on idiots. They're everywhere.

The best method I've found in dealing with tailgaters is to gently "wave" them back. Extend the left arm with the hand toward the ground and slowly move it as if you are pushing them back. If they back off, give them the thumbs up signal to thank them. If they don't, find a good place to let them by. It may be hard to use a gentle wave and avoid the other rigid digit sign when they are extremely close, but keep your cool. Folks respond better to requests, which is what the gentle wave is, than demands, and leaves a better impression of bikers. Plus, you are educating them for other bikers.

Good luck.
First time hearing this, GREAT idea flite. I usually get frustrated and romp on it a little but this is way, WAY better. The fact that we're educating people is definitely the best part of it, not to mention that its effective. Thanks for posting this.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM

sometime i wish i had a LED sighn board on the back of my bike so i could type a message to those that feel like the have to occupie the same space that i am f=riding in . have thought about getting a sticker that reads " IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE TOO DAM CLOSE , BACK OFF!!! "

DRAGONRIDER
RIDE LONG AND RIDE SAFE
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 PM

man i need to learn how to control myself...last time i had a tailgater i stopped in the middle of the road and vent out all my anger at the driver...he tried to be a smart ass so i took my helmet and slammed it on his hood making a big dent!!!!! I know my reaction was very immature but couldn't help it. when i think about it , i feel bad....but at the moment i felt in danger knowing there is a truck (lawn mowing truck) full of dudes tailgating my butt!!!

PEACE!!!

2005 Vulcan 750
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 PM
At Least I Can Spell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
sometime i wish i had a LED sighn board on the back of my bike so i could type a message to those that feel like the have to occupie the same space that i am f=riding in . have thought about getting a sticker that reads " IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE TOO DAM CLOSE , BACK OFF!!! "
Here you go...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/car/afe6/?cpg=froogle

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
I 100% agree with this. You are totally vulnerable on the bike so be nice. If they pull over when I pull over to let them pass, I get my 40 handy.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)

Last edited by 93VN750; 05-20-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement