First Ride - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

First Ride

So I finally got the ignition deal taken care of on my Vulcan. The battery was bad so I had to shoot up to walmart and get a new one, and today I finally gotta take my first ride on it. First ride on any bike to be honest and I gotta say at first it scared the hell out of me I did not think it was gonna be that ballsy. I still havent gotten it to my house yet but the friend I got it from said its cool to leave it there til im comfortable enough to take the trip. Just figured id let u guys know my respect for bikers was allready pretty high but after seeing what it takes to control that thing its definitely shown me it takes alot more skill than i wouldve thought. Good thing is i have my MSF class scheduled for memorial day weekend so hopefully that will help me get a little more confident. Come to find out the lady i got it from had never even taken it further than around the block for the almost 1k miles she put on it, thats alot of times around the block lol. Now i see whys she kept saying it was a bit much for her and she sold it to me for 650. Anyways just wanted to let you guys know how the first ride on the Vulcan went and to say thanks for all the tips from my other post.

Just wondering does the bike in first always idle at 3k or is mine wound a little high?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sounds awesome. Seems you scored pretty good with that bike. It should be idling around 800 RPM so you might want to look into that.

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Yea i thought that was a bit high. I mean without even giving it throttle it was going 15-20. I got my Clymers manual the other day i gotta look through it and figure out how to adjust it.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 PM
D2u
D2u

Cool man on the first ride.The idle screw is just under the fuel shutoff on the left side.It has a black plastic head on the screw. Turn it one way or the other while the bike is running. That will addjust it for ya.

1992 VN750 22,350 miles 18,700 when I bought it last year 04/17/2008

Streetshield EX
degoat
drilled mufflers
splines lubed
Capped (soon to be coaster)
Custom Grips
Wide blade levers
Throw over leather saddlebags
Deka MF AGM ETX15L
NGK Iridums
DIY Brackets,and highway pegs

To do list.
custom seat
teardrop mirrors
DIY Floor boards
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Idle speed should be 1100 rpms. Also, make sure you aren't running with the choke in the toward you position. Once it's warmed up, it should have trouble running with any choke but make sure it is off, (pushed away from you all the way). If you set your idle too low, your oil pump can't adequately pump oil up and you could damage the engine... I'm glad you have the MSF course scheduled! You will really love the course and you will feel much more comfortable on the bike. Real comfort comes with experience on that bike so take it easy and learn, learn, learn!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Yea i checked the choke a couple times when i realized it was idling so high.. The previous owner said it always idled that high when she was riding it but im not to sure she knew much about bikes and her husband was always more focused on his bike to take care of hers. I was wondering why it seemed so high strung when i would let of the clutch it just went i had to ride with the clutch pressed in just to keep it under 15. Thanks guys i was hoping it was something with the bike and not just my lack of experience that was making that first ride so nerve racking' and yea im really looking forward to the MSF course its thru the ride like a pro people, Jerry the motorman Pallidino i believe his name is that does those videos' so they should be pretty helpful.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:46 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

We all started just like you did I'm sure. My first several hundred miles was all within my neighborhood. I got my license and finished my MSF course last August, since them I've put 3,000 miles on the bike and can't get off it, I love riding and love my Vulcan.

Take your time, get all you can from the course, and get to know your neighborhood.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!

Last edited by cliffhusn; 05-15-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I can't wait to get mine back on the road, its been one thing after another financially. just need to do a stator replacement for 200.00 bucks and was ready to till the truck needed new rotors and now my riding mower needs a belt and front end parts. sucks!
does sound like you got a good deal on her though. if that idle wasnt so high she might not have sold it. my vulcan is my first street bike and I put 8000 miles on her last summer, mainly work commuting but it was everyday rain or shine. truck was broke down then or I may not have ridden some of the real rainy days but now I got a little experience in foul weather riding.

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Geek

Anyone can do 60 down the highway. Learn to ride SLOW. Practice circles, figure eights, u-turns...

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Required reading: Proficient Motorcycling - this book helped me a great deal, I've read it twice and still look at it.

Required watching: Ride Like A Pro

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement