First Ride - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Straight roads are evil

Congratulations Authority84! You'll love the Vulcan. Take it slow, ride your own pace, and enjoy the ride.

Also please get full protective gear, especially a full-face helmet. We want to ride with you for years to come, so keep safe.

Now bring on the twisties!

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Congratulations. The best advise is to learn slowly and take the course. Remember, you are totally relaxed until you start steering with your hips.

Keep the shinny side up and good luck

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Old Truck Junkie

I too like to idle mine at around 800 rpm.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Speaking of steering with the hips. My hips where killing me yesterday after just a couple trips around the block. I was thinking maybe I was just sitting a little close on the seat. I'm 6'4 so it is just a little cramped feeling, but towards the end the the pressure in my hips wasn't as bad. Like I told the lady I got it from it could also be as a natural reaction I was squeezing my legs in to tight to protect the jewels. I really need to practice turns a lot more I'm going back over shortly to adjust that throttle and ride it more, just trying to get comfortable enough to make the ride home on it b4 I hop out on any busy streets. I'M still trying to grasp the counter steering thing.

Last edited by Authority84; 05-16-2009 at 12:06 PM.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:22 PM

Your hips hurt most likely because you were tensed up. The deal about steering with the hips is that you will find out as you learn to ride that you will steer by leaning slightly to one side or the other. Your hands will be on the grips mostly to hang on and be near the controls you will use them to steer only at very slow speeds. You don't need to squeeze the bike with your legs to protect the jewels. If you have a problem your jewels will go with your body hopefully to a soft place.

There are a lot of opinions on idle speed. I have mine idling at 1000 and since I put on the voltmeter I have found out that it is about the threshold of where charging starts. You can set your idle lower but be aware that you are not puting volts in your battery while you're sitting there at idle.

We all love our bikes and we all love to ride, it's nice of you to join us and catch the VN750 bug.

LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 02:18 PM

I know some of us like to slow down our idle to make it sound more like a harley at idle. But there is a reason why the manual states the idle should be around 1100. Your oil pump doesn't work efficiently unless the engine is revved a little, and below 1100 isn't recommended. It's also true about the charging system. Plus your water pump isn't doing an effective job at lower idles either. Just my .02

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
I know some of us like to slow down our idle to make it sound more like a harley at idle. But there is a reason why the manual states the idle should be around 1100. Your oil pump doesn't work efficiently unless the engine is revved a little, and below 1100 isn't recommended. It's also true about the charging system. Plus your water pump isn't doing an effective job at lower idles either. Just my .02
You are right and I know it.
I will stay with my idle.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 03:27 PM

people mentioned how to adjust the idle but I don't think anyone said that you want to adjust the idle when the engine is warmed up. if you adjust it when it is cold it will be off when it is warm.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 04:12 PM

Fergy you are right. All of you are right but the electrical is just another component endorsing a higher idle.

~VROC~ # 389
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewell View Post
Anyone can do 60 down the highway. Learn to ride SLOW. Practice circles, figure eights, u-turns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhusn View Post
Required reading: Proficient Motorcycling - this book helped me a great deal, I've read it twice and still look at it.

Required watching: Ride Like A Pro
X2 to all above. After the MSF course, continue practicing the exercises on the Ride Like a Pro video. David Hough`s book "Proficient Motorcycling", is in its second edition, just updated in 2008, and has a bonus 144 pages on an includes DVD. I just got my copy a month or so ago and have read it through twice, and continue to pick it up frequently to re-read items of particular interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authority84 View Post
Speaking of steering with the hips. My hips where killing me yesterday after just a couple trips around the block. I was thinking maybe I was just sitting a little close on the seat. I'm 6'4 so it is just a little cramped feeling, but towards the end the the pressure in my hips wasn't as bad. Like I told the lady I got it from it could also be as a natural reaction I was squeezing my legs in to tight to protect the jewels. I really need to practice turns a lot more I'm going back over shortly to adjust that throttle and ride it more, just trying to get comfortable enough to make the ride home on it b4 I hop out on any busy streets. I'M still trying to grasp the counter steering thing.
I`m glad you finally got in your first ride, A-84, but a 3,000 rpm idle would have scared off many a new rider. The vn750 is a bit short in the frame for tall riders, I agree. I`ve been an even 6' since high school, but recently was measured and have lost an inch and a bit. So at 5' 11", and #290, I find it a little cramped or squished when riding too. I found a 1 1/2 or 2 inch thick, rubber kneeling pad in my pickup yesterday, that I`m going to try sitting on while riding, to see if that makes it more comfortable. However this broken leg is going to keep me off the bike this year too.

I am going to make a set of highway pegs, so at least I can stretch out on the bike. I`m sure you need some too.

Countersteering was a brand new concept to me as well, until about 18 months ago, when I was reading the manual from a mc training school in Calgary. I was talking to a friend who has been riding dirt and street bikes for 35+ years. His wife, who rides a Honda Shadow 750, took the safety course here locally 10 years ago. When Jack read her class handout about countersteering, he said "BS, I don`t do that", then grabbed his helmet and Goldwing and went for a ride. Half an hour later, he came back muttereing "Damn, I do, do that"! He realized that he was countersteering all the time, but it was so subtle, that it did not even conciously register in his mind.

Once you learn to do it , and trust it, turning is much easier. Try riding down a quiet street, in a straight line at 15-20 mph. Then just give a short easy bump to the right grip, then let it come back on its own. The bike will make a quick lean to the right and dodge over 3-4 feet then straighten back up. If you want to straighten up faster, give a little push to the left. Just leaning gives you wide sweeping turns, but a little "push steering" tightens the corners right up. MC writer David Hough, mentioned above, practices by missing the broken white lines on the highway when changing lanes, and countersteering between them.

Good luck with the MSF course next weekend. You will do just fine , my friend, as long as you remember to TURN YOUR HEAD, AND LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. Just shifting your eyes won`t do it. When making U-turns or figure eights, etc., point your chin over your shoulder, in the direction you want to go, and focus 4 or 5 feet above the ground. You can pre-practice some of this at home on a chair, by visualizing it and going thru the movements as though your hands are on the bars.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-25-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement