Bicycle Riding Shorts on a Motorcycle...??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Question Bicycle Riding Shorts on a Motorcycle...???

I know some of you also ride or have rode bicycles, and was wondering about bicycle riding shorts making for a more comfortable ride on our motorcycles...
I found a pair I had that are made of lycra (sp) and have a sort of jock strap (male version) and pads in the bun area, and are supposed to be cool and very comfortable and did seem so when I rode... I know you would wear them as underwear, and pants or gear over them for protection, but has anyone tried this...??? Think it would help get the original seat more in the comfort zone...???
I remember they did good on a bicycle, and was wondering about wearing them on our bikes...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM

I do alot of Bicycle riding, and the biggest benefit I get is decreased chaffing. Since you aren't pedaling, well there isn't much problem there. They might give a little more cushion though (they definitely help the bicycle seats) and you never know till you try!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:08 AM
D2u
D2u

Hmm.well i dont know anything about the shorts,but i think the only way to make the stock seat more comfy is to drop $400.00 on a corbin or saddlemen. I rode 125 miles round trip yesterday,and I have the numb butt.

1992 VN750 22,350 miles 18,700 when I bought it last year 04/17/2008

Streetshield EX
degoat
drilled mufflers
splines lubed
Capped (soon to be coaster)
Custom Grips
Wide blade levers
Throw over leather saddlebags
Deka MF AGM ETX15L
NGK Iridums
DIY Brackets,and highway pegs

To do list.
custom seat
teardrop mirrors
DIY Floor boards

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Man Law : When a man wears spandex, it oficially is called Mandex,The one exception being if this [I]man[I] is also wearing a tu tu at the same time at which time you are free to call it or him anything you please,It has been declared.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
But seriously Under Armor brand longjohns and undershirts are great for wearing under your riding clothes .It wicks moisture away from your skin,and the seams are sewn flat ,which is important when you sit on them for an hour our so ion basically the same position,they also make short underwear that I haven't bought yet (It is fairly expensive) Wally world has some polypropylene under clothes that I haven't tried but a few of my friends say it is good stuff too.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 AM

I've logged a lot of miles on various bicycles. Bike shorts are perfect for that, but less than perfect for motorcycle riding. The wicking is still good, as are the flat seams (totally beats cotton). The only thing about the bike shorts that could be a problem are the pads. If you're sitting in a deep seat, they tend to hold a bit more heat/moisture than they do on a bicycle (where you get lots of airflow). So I'd go with a very lightly padded pair, or no pad, especially if you already have a cushion of some kind on your seat.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Search Goddess

I have the Under Armor as well as some "Compression" shorts/shirts. The bicycle shorts work well too (only I'd forego the padding for several reasons *L*)
I know Pick and several others use the bicycle shorts and the flat seams and 'wicking' realy does make for a more comfortable ride.
BTW this is one of the suggestions for those considering an Iron Butt Run. Ummm.. well the other suggestion was... shaving.
Gold Bond Medicated Body Powder also helps (But watch how you apply it caused it's metholated) and Monkey Butt Powder is also good.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
But seriously Under Armor brand longjohns and undershirts are great for wearing under your riding clothes .It wicks moisture away from your skin,and the seams are sewn flat ,which is important when you sit on them for an hour our so ion basically the same position,they also make short underwear that I haven't bought yet (It is fairly expensive) Wally world has some polypropylene under clothes that I haven't tried but a few of my friends say it is good stuff too.
because of me playing semi pro football i have a whole boatload of underarmour gear.... lots of the shorts that you are talkinga bout.... personally i swear by them... i usually wear them if i plan on going on a longer than usuall ride..... nice feel and keep ya nice and cool....
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy1236 View Post
With shorts, don't forget the sun block for the knees. The flowing air may feel cool but the sun will fry them like bacon.

They are not talking about wearing just shorts, but wearing shorts/bike shorts under your pants instead of underware.

Riding a motorcycle in short pants would win you the "Dumbass Squid" award. Add a sleeveless T shirt, flip-flops and no helmet , then we can really make fun of you............

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
They are not talking about wearing just shorts, but wearing shorts/bike shorts under your pants instead of underware.
Riding a motorcycle in short pants would win you the "Dumbass Squid" award. Add a sleeveless T shirt, flip-flops and no helmet , then we can really make fun of you............KM
Very true, 100%+++... I would buy some protective riding gear if I could find some that I thought would not burn me up in the warmer months and was not toooo expensive...lol...
So far in warmer weather I am only riding with pull on boots, full face helmet, vest & gloves, of course shirt & Levis...
Really I was just thinking that the biking shorts with the little pads in the sit bone area might give a bit more comfort on a longer ride...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement