Interesting intermittent starting problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
VulcanCruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)
 
Interesting intermittent starting problem

Well... For some reason my bike seems to want to give me trouble starting every now and then. I can't tell if it is electrical or not but it seems that every once in a while the starter doesn't sound strong enough to turn the bike over. The battery is "brand new" says the previous owner (I got the bike last April) so I am not sure if that is the issue. I do plan on replacing it with a MF but was hoping to get another year out of the so called good battery. The funny part is that I'll let it sit for a while and it will crank over fine. This can happen when I fist start it up in the morning or if I go out for a ride and park it for a few minutes. I did however go out to Wally World and get me a maintainer to see if that will help. If it does then maybe it is the battery. If not... I have no idea.

Any help will be appreciated.

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
VulcanCruizer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 AM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanCruizer View Post
Well... For some reason my bike seems to want to give me trouble starting every now and then. I can't tell if it is electrical or not but it seems that every once in a while the starter doesn't sound strong enough to turn the bike over. The battery is "brand new" says the previous owner (I got the bike last April) so I am not sure if that is the issue. I do plan on replacing it with a MF but was hoping to get another year out of the so called good battery. The funny part is that I'll let it sit for a while and it will crank over fine. This can happen when I fist start it up in the morning or if I go out for a ride and park it for a few minutes. I did however go out to Wally World and get me a maintainer to see if that will help. If it does then maybe it is the battery. If not... I have no idea.

Any help will be appreciated.
Wet cell batteries are good for about a year, you will save yourself alot of heart ache by replacing now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-...item3eee173adb

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra..._campaign=Base


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
lance328 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
VulcanCruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)
 
Thanks.

I was also reading another thread that said that the VN750 doesn't start charging until around 3k RPM or more. I think that might be my issue as I really don't romp my bike too much and usually get up to 5th gear and cruise no matter what the speed limit is. The maintainer should help that but I will still look into a AGM/MF battery this week. Thanks for the links. Interestingly enough there used to be a Deka store around my area up until a few years ago. Ah well.

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
VulcanCruizer is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
 
Old Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!
Posts: 5,072
iTrader: (2)
 
Did you check the fluid level???????
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Old Dog is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
750Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 2,850
iTrader: (10)
   
Somebody selling a bike or a car often says some part is new and what that usually means is they put it in sometime within that last 6-8months. So if they don't show a receipt, "new" is just marketing.

Since it's a wet battery, like Hoss said, have you checked the water level in it?

Also, you can take it, (the battery) to any auto parts store and they can load test it for you to tell you if its good, close to bad, or bad. Usually this load test is free.

If the battery is failing a charger won't help, and if a battery is failing and as it continues to fail it will take the R/R and stator out with it. So getting it load tested ASAP is a very good idea, if you're not in a position to replace it. At least then you know and you can avoid riding it and causing more damage.

Another thing about the wet battery's is the acid coming out of the vent reeks havoc on parts of the bike you can't see easily, as well as more electrical components, including the junction box. So a visual check behind the side covers and of the water level is another good "do it now" suggestion.

And not for nothing, my bike starts charging the battery just after I open the throttle, and it's also to suggested that not doing to many "parade rides" (idle rolling) because at idle it's not charging, but it does start before 3k rpm, or at least it should.

Just some stuff to think about. Let us know what you find.
750Doug is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
VulcanCruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)
 
Ok. Starting to get worried now. I have the Deka MF AGM battery in and only rode a total of about 125 miles. About 10 starts and I'm having the same issue. I put my maintainer on it and it shows charging. I usually ride around 2500 RPM if I'm on back roads but today I took a state highway and was doing between 45 - 60 most of the way. I got to the store and was there for about 15 minutes. Went to start my bike and the same thing happened as before. I press the button and it turns over once, stops for about 5 seconds then turns over normally and starts. Before it would turn over once and stop I would have to take my finger off the start button and wait 30 seconds and then do it again and it would usually work. Some odd reason this didn't seem to start until I changed the oil. I checked the oil today and it looks fine. Viscosity is good. I used Havoline 10/40. Any ideas?

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
VulcanCruizer is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 PM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanCruizer View Post
Ok. Starting to get worried now. I have the Deka MF AGM battery in and only rode a total of about 125 miles. About 10 starts and I'm having the same issue. I put my maintainer on it and it shows charging. I usually ride around 2500 RPM if I'm on back roads but today I took a state highway and was doing between 45 - 60 most of the way. I got to the store and was there for about 15 minutes. Went to start my bike and the same thing happened as before. I press the button and it turns over once, stops for about 5 seconds then turns over normally and starts. Before it would turn over once and stop I would have to take my finger off the start button and wait 30 seconds and then do it again and it would usually work. Some odd reason this didn't seem to start until I changed the oil. I checked the oil today and it looks fine. Viscosity is good. I used Havoline 10/40. Any ideas?
Check solenoid, frame ground, engine ground and starter lead conections. Make sure there clean and tight and also check the start button contacts. If all that is good you may have a problem with the brushes or commutator in the starter, make sure starter bolts are tight to get a good ground.


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
lance328 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
VulcanCruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
Check solenoid, frame ground, engine ground and starter lead conections. Make sure there clean and tight and also check the start button contacts. If all that is good you may have a problem with the brushes or commutator in the starter, make sure starter bolts are tight to get a good ground.
Thanks. I'll check that in the morning. Just an FYI, the maintainer just switched to charged, It's been on for about 1:45. Just strikes me odd that I had the bike all last season and I don't remember it doing this. Hopefully it's something simple.

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
VulcanCruizer is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 PM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanCruizer View Post
Thanks. I'll check that in the morning. Just an FYI, the maintainer just switched to charged, It's been on for about 1:45. Just strikes me odd that I had the bike all last season and I don't remember it doing this. Hopefully it's something simple.
Have you checked your battery voltage while running?


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
lance328 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
VulcanCruizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)
 
You'd figure that I have 2 multi-meters I'd be able to pick up a battery and test it. Nooooooooo. I picked up the battery and tried both multi-meters and they are both dead. It figures. They were junk $5 digital ones. I wish I knew where I put my good $50 analog one It seems that all the connections are tight. It is intermittent. I don't know what is going on. The battery holds a charge once it is fully charged. I charged it 4 days ago and went to see if it would charge today and as soon as I plugged it into the maintainer it turned yellow then green indicating it was fully charged. I'll try to test the bike running/not running as soon as I get a new multi-meter.

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
VulcanCruizer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome