Sputtering and stalling... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Sputtering and stalling...

A few months ago, I solicited help from this forum, because my 99 was running rough. It would only run with the choke on, and stall out at low idle. We (it was suggested to me, and I agreed) that we had some bad fuel, and I ran about half a can of seafoam thru her, and she did great. Rode her twice since then.
Last weekend, I went to ride, and it wouldnt start. Same problem. Got so frustrated, I actually killed my MF battery (and in this case, MF does not stand for Maint-free)
New battery, figured same problem, so I ran newer fuel and seafoam thru. Wont idle without choke, and sputters when I get on it around 50 or so. (Feels like a chain drive jumping the teeth on a sprocket, ya know?) At idle, it revs higher and lower without provocation. Choke off, dies within a minute.
I still think that it was bad fuel. My Father in law wants to take off and clean the carb, my Bro in law wants to clean the (3?) jets?

What say you? I dont want to take apart if I dont have to- I usually have problems putting things back on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Love My Baby

To really do this right, you probably should clean out the entire fuel system from the tank to the engine. That would mean removing the tank, petcock (fuel tap) and the carbs where there may be some gunk that the seafoam couldn't clean out.

Also, I would pull the spark plugs and clean/gap them, and check the wires to the plugs as well. Then clean and/or replace the air filters as well.

Plus, do you know if your bike has the California evaporative emissions control system installed? The EEC can certainly be a cause of your problem if you have it.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

No Cali emissions crap that I know of.

What do you know about cleaning jets?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Outside of seafoam, cleaning jets means carb removal. If your bike won't run without the choke on, or when the idle rises and falls on its own, this usually means you have a vacuum leak. Something is letting too much air into your intake and you are cutting back the air by opening the choke. Don't know why it would have run ok for a while and then go back to the same state unless there is some serious crud in the tank that's coming in to the carbs and blocking fuel flow seriously, that maybe seafoam cleared up for a while but new junk found its way into the carbs. Ordinarily though, the rise and fall of the idle means vacuum leak...

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I will check that, also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement