Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

VN750 vs VTX1300

5K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Knifemaker 
#1 ·
I've had my Vulcan750 for about a year now. A new rider, with only about 1,000 miles experience. I've toyed with the idea of eventually moving to a bigger engine, and now have an opportunity to purchase a Honda VTX1300 from a friend.

I'm curious to learn whether any of my VN750 friends here have had an opportunity to compare the two and would be willing to share their opinions.

#2 ·
My cousin I ride with has a new VTX 1300 Tourer and he loves it,and I think rightfully so,he has no trouble keeping up on the curvy two lane roads and it loafs along on the highway aty 75 and has plenty left.If you can get it right I say go for it,Denny

#3 ·
I did not car too much for the styling, but I did ride one and they do work well.
I did like it alot more than the VTX1800 , which of course felt even heavier.

The one I rode may have needed a brake bleeding, as the brakes seemed a bit mushy. The ride was ALOT smoother than the Vulcan, expansion joints on the highway were unpercievable. Would make a great tourer for sure.

Power was delivered smoothly with no sudden surprises, would say the bike is quicker than the Vulcan (but not by much) and does run lower rpms at highway speeds.
In the 1/4 mile it might be a dead heat.

The seating felt a bit awkward to me, but it you are over 5'11" it would be fine. (handlebars can always be moved back of course) The seat was a joy compared to the 750, but that ain't saying much...lol.

There is a good review here:
http://tinyurl.com/4pa7hp

I will say that Honda does make a good product, although I have never owned a Honda motorcycle.

KM

#4 ·
the main differences are going to be weight and performance... the 1300 is alot heaver... ive ridden the 1800 and it can be a bear o handle at slow speeds but if your using it for actual cruising its a nice ride.... i mean for me its all what your going to be using it for.... for me id stick with the 750 if im just going around town but if im going to be touring or running longer distances id go for the larger 1300.... ersonally i want to get the 1300C in their emerald green.... thats just me though...

#5 · (Edited)
You hit the nail on the head,Honda either dropped the 1800 for precisely the reason you named or will next model year.The 1300 is much better mannered at low speeds than it's bigger brother and enough bike for the long haul and I have owned several Honda products, ATV'S have come and gone around here with one exception ,a 1996 TRX 300 Honda Four Trax ,This thing is like a Timex watch I have worn out 6 sets of tires,four sets of Grips ,three exhaust systems and it is on it's third seat cover Oh yeah I had to replace the battery the other day,The Original Battery !!!!!!! I run a winch and snow plow(removed in summer) on this thing also it does not have an odometer but it is ridden nearly daily summer and winter with nothing but oil changes and brake work and I did rebuild the rear diff once ,I suspect that was my fault because the breather hose was cracked above the housing and allowed water in to the oil,It is a tossup between it and my '94 Corolla(319785 miles and counting) as to who wins the old faithful award at my house,I would recommend Honda's Products to any one without blinking.

#7 ·
Yes , the aftermarket world does pay attention to that model ...something we are not used to if we have a Vulcan 750 in the garage.

I guess the only thing that I would say that is negative about the bike is that it is not really an "improvement" over the Vulcan......which in itself is a list of negatives in my book:

It lacks a tachometer

It only has one front disc

It only has one carb...which might be easier to work on, but there are comparable bikes with Fuel Injection which is so much sweeter.

It is alot heavier

It does not handle as well

It lacks ground clearance for more spirited riding

But keep in mind those are only negatives from comparing it to the Vulcan.

And a good deal is a good deal as they say....but if I were looking for another crusier, I'd want someting that brings more to the table if I am coming from a Vulcan. Like a used Suzuki C90.. which has a bit more usable power, and fuel injection.

mtc

KM

#8 · (Edited)
Hey guys, thank you so much for the great input. He left it with me to try out for a while. I took it out locally just to get used to it, so I haven't taken it up more than 40mph yet. I rode it for about 15 minutes, the took out the vulcan for an immediate comparison.

Agree with all of your points KM,

On the neighborhood roads I didn't feel a big difference in power, but the Vulcan felt much more nimble as far as turning, and swerving. It could just be that I'm unfamiliar with the bike. The reason I say that is because I can sense how much easier and more responsive my Vulcan handles today compared to when I first started riding it last fall. Since nothing on the bike has changed, I have to assume that what's actually changing is my riding confidence as I've grown accustomed to the bike. It's been raining on and off here in Maryland for a few days. As soon as the roads dry up I'll try it out on the highway.

Edit: I did notice that the clutch was loud when I changed gears. Kind of a "clunk".

It's a great looking bike, imo. He's added several things, like highway bars, custom grips, quick release windshield, a tall and a shorter sissy bar, and a Corbin seat. The handlebars have been raised and pulled back. Actually he changed the handlebars to something a little more like the Vulcan. All braided cables, brakelight modulator, Kuryakin visors on all of the lights, nice aftermarket foot rests, and a GPS. He maintains his equipment and it's been garaged. The bike is a 2006, has about 21,000 miles and he wants $6,000.

He's also giving me his motorcycle jack, because he can't use it on his new BMW, as the pipes drop below the frame.

I'll add a picture of the two bikes side by side as soon as my camera battery recharges.

#9 ·
There is no shame in the VTX1300... Honda did a great job on that bike. It has the feel of a 750cc bike with the power of a 1400cc engine. When I rode one, I was impressed by the ease of throwing the VTX1300 around the turns and how light it is. Night and day compared to the VTX1800 that I rode the same day.

If I wasn't such a Vulcan snob, I would consider one in a heartbeat... I love the features that the VN750 has and the positive neutral finder on the Kawasaki's are a big reason why I have never strayed from the brand. Some out there are HD snobs with the HD tattoos. I'm a Vulcan snob with a Vulcan tattoo :)

IMHO, you cannot go wrong with that VTX1300...

#10 ·
KM is right (again) in that the VN750 brings quite a lot to the table that most other bikes/cruisers now don't even think about--regardless of price.

The VN750's "exclusive" features are what makes it an easier bike to use and live with day in and day out. As KM pointed out above, the Vulcan 750 also has more ground clearance, something to think about when on a really curvy road, or in an emergency avoidance maneuver.

Basically, you are trading away quite a lot in exchange for more power, more weight, and a better straight-line ride.

Something else to think about: with only 1,000 miles of riding under your belt, you're still a "rookie" by any reasonable measure. Big bikes like the VTX were not built with rookies in mind. I recommend at least several thousand miles more of riding b4 your even consider any cruiser over 800cc's in size. Don't believe me?....then read at least the top part of the following webpage from a rider far more experienced than many of us here:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/MotorcycleIntro.html#Safety

Good luck!...:smiley_th

#11 ·
Something else to think about: with only 1,000 miles of riding under your belt, you're still a "rookie" by any reasonable measure. Big bikes like the VTX were not built with rookies in mind. I recommend at least several thousand miles more of riding b4 your even consider any cruiser over 800cc's in size. Don't believe me?....then read at least the top part of the following webpage from a rider far more experienced than many of us here:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/MotorcycleIntro.html#Safety

I think that is a good point, but my feeling in this case is the differences between the Vulcan and the VTX1300 are not that dramatic....going by the learning curve required and not the various cometic or functional differences.

If he was talking about the 1800, or something like an R1, I too would have pointed out my concern.

If you look at the two bikes the only real functional difference that he would need to contend with is the extra 200 lbs the bike weighs. It is NOT markedly faster, and it is simular to the Vulcan in many aspects. My view is if HE thinks he can handle it, he probably can.
To be honest, I don't think the Vulcan 750 is a good beginers bike either, but in this supersize world we live in now, perceptions have been twisted a bit.

The fact that he has ridden the Vulcan a whole year without problems seems to show he might have the chops to move to the 1300 without safety issues.

As always, the only real weight that matters here is the 3 lbs of grey goo between his ears. If he is smart and responsible I would say he has not increased his risk in any way.

But he might want to wait awhile before climbing aboard a Hayabusa.

KM

KM

#13 ·
AU, that is a great article. It ought to be given to every newbie. KM you are right some of us can remember when a 750 was the king and then there were Hardleys.

#14 ·
theauhawk I do appreciate your concern and respect your comments. KM is right. I'm very cautious. I love my 750. Were it not for this opportunity presenting itself right now, I was actually planning on waiting a year or so. I haven't gone to that website yet, but I did review some very disturbing pictures and videos of MC accidents before riding on my own in an effort to fully grasp the potential hazards. I also have the benefit of 5 years of very sobering experience as a FF/Paramedic in LINY. Even though it was 35 years ago, I remember many things quite vividly.

It brings to mind my MSF Course. One of our class was a young lady, about 110 lbs, who was taking the class because her dad had bought her a HD Roadking... She dropped the Knighthawk 250 provided by the MVA at least twice. I hope she's still ok.

My wife actually suggested that since I've already invested myself in the Vulcan, that I keep both bikes, using the Vulcan for everything besides the longer overnight rides with friends. She hears my hesitancy of taking it for long runs. Primarily due to the vunerabilities I learned of here in the forum.

#15 ·
Like I said if it is a good deal and you want it go for it and definitely listen to your wife if she says to keep 'em both just say ,Yes Dear you are probably right again ,Presto you have two bikes and scored brownie points too,Denny

#17 ·
Yep, I've already got the Riding the Mean Streets and Ride like a Pro DVDs by the Motorman. That little gal is quite the babe, isn't she?

#18 ·
Well, Poggi, it would appear by your posts above that you've already made up your mind.

Even though I still think that on an extended ride you will miss the Vulcan's handling, agility, and cornering clearance as the turns tighten up (e.g., recall some of EQ Player's earlier threads), I think you'll find that Honda's reliability pretty much can't be beat......:smiley_th

Since you've already acquired some of Motorman's DVDs, I would encourage you to practice at least some of the "Ride Like A Pro" techniques on your Honda, before you spend time on it in heavy traffic or especially on an overnite trip.

Best of times to you, on your new VTX!.....:beerchug:

#19 ·
Hey Poggi,

The guy I ride with has an 06 VTX 1300. Like you I've had my Vulcan for a year. My friend with the X is responsible for me owning my bike so it was his duty to teach me to ride. After about 100 miles on the Vulcan, he turned me loose on the X. First impression, VERY HEAVY. Second impression, after I got it rolling, very smooth and a little more gitty up. Third impression, at the first stop sign, VERY HEAVY. Now that I've got a couple thousand miles under my belt on the Vulcan, the X is still noticably hevier, but not nearly as intimidating as it was the first time I rode it. We often switch up when we go for longer rides, mostly to give my arse a break from my seat, but he likes riding the Vulcan too. He got the Ride Like a Pro videos shortly after I got my bike and we have done several of the exercises shown in the videos. I finally got the figure 8 down by the end of last summer. He is an experienced rider and had no problems with any of the exercises from the video on the X. That being said, just like on the videos, nearly every turn involves a peg dragging the ground. The X doesn't have much ground clearance. Don't worry about the clunk when shifting, especially into first, that's just what they do. If you've got the $$ and the wife says you can keep the Vulcan too, I'd say do it. The X is certainly a better choice for comfort if the wife will be riding with you. Once you get used to the X it should handle nearly as well as the Vulcan in most situations, as long as you don't mind dragging the pegs. Something else that might be appealing to you, there is a VTX forum that my friend belongs to that sounds to me to be very much like this one. Full of great people and great information!

#20 ·
Thanks wvshaneb,
That's encouraging. I'm going to take it out again soon as the roads dry up around here. Can you get me the link to that forum?

#21 ·
Bikes are 100% subjective. Everyone likes something a little different. I can't remember the last time I saw two of the exact same bikes anywhere.

Honda makes a quality bike. I personally do not like the styling of the x13, but like I said that's me. What counts is you.

Honda does not make a bike I'd ride, not for mechanical reasons, but for styling reasons. Now if you had a v65 Magna in excellent condition, I'd try very hard to persuade you to sell it to me.

At the same time, I do not like any of the new Kawasaki's either and have two of them in my garage. Do I like the belt drive, so-so, do I like the 6 speed's, yes, do I like the 1700cc's, yes.

You can not go wrong with a healthy x13. Will run forever and need very little maintenance. If you like, get it.

Jon

#23 ·
Thank you again. Well I decided to buy the VTX and keep the Vulcan as well. So, I took it out for a ride, hit a sharp curve at low speed, panicked, hit the brakes and went down "Like a Magnet" as the Motorman says...Front end went under a guardrail, and I lost some skin on the left elbow, forearm, and knee. Cut the front tire, bent the clutch lever and the left highway bar. The paint wasn't scratched too bad, but the windsheild took a hit. So it's at the shop getting checked out and probably realigned.

#24 ·
Sorry to hear of your mishap, bad enough but glad it wasn't any worse, the skin will grow back and the bike is easily repaired...
I started to quote theauhawk, but that would have been rude, and I suspect a lesson was learned without that...
Again sorry...
Have a better one...Old Dog...

#26 ·
which one the vtx or the vulcan?? hope it all heals up quick for ya.... that just reminds me that i need to get a god pair of reinforced riding jeans....

#27 ·
It was the VTX. I was going too slow, hit that brake and down I went. I actually have a pair of the "Draggin Jeans".. of course, I wasn't wearing them that day :)

#29 ·
Jeez Pog...I come here and say I think you know what you are doing and then you go and try and prove me wrong....LOL.

I did not mention this , but I always thought one would be "not as safe" transisioning from different bikes to ride. You "learn" one particular bike and then go ride another, you have to retrain yourself all over again. Not so bad if you are just going from an old bike you sell to a new bike..but if you have two in the garage, how does your brain remember which one you are on in a panic situation?

Any thoughts here?

KM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.