Hate to start another seat thread but... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
D2u
D2u

Hate to start another seat thread but...

I noticed that the stock seat is a bit puffy and soft.They call it a pillow top.I took the cover off my seat to find two different foams.The firm main foam is about 4 inches thick,and glued to the seat pan. There is a soft about 1 inch thick foam on top of that.It is just spot glued to the main foam in two places very easy to remove.So that's what i did removed the top soft P.O.S foam,and tossed it in the trash can! Then put the cover back on.The seat feels much better.I went on one of my 35mile round trip rides that i take that would end with my butt starting to get numb,and no numb butt this time.I have sense road a few more 40 and 50+ mile trips ,and so far so good.I'm going to try to find some foam that is a bit firmer than the stock foam,and replace the stock foam altogether.I don't want to spend $400.00 on a aftermarket seat to put on a $1500.00 bike.I have looked at seats on many top end bikes.Many of them being torring bikes.All are the same very firm allmost hard.I think i'm on to something when it comes to comfort on a bike the firmer the seat the better the ride.Just thought i would share this if it has not already been said somewhere

1992 VN750 22,350 miles 18,700 when I bought it last year 04/17/2008

Streetshield EX
degoat
drilled mufflers
splines lubed
Capped (soon to be coaster)
Custom Grips
Wide blade levers
Throw over leather saddlebags
Deka MF AGM ETX15L
NGK Iridums
DIY Brackets,and highway pegs

To do list.
custom seat
teardrop mirrors
DIY Floor boards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I have been thinking about going to wally world and buying a memory foam pillow and making seat padding out of it,What do ya think?I canned that piece you are talking about and reshaped the seating area and covered it with vinyl that had no holes in it,but I think I can do better with better foam.I routinely ride 75 to 100 miles at a time after on mine, that dinky gas tank is the killer.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 04-30-2009 at 10:29 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Old Fart

Garage
It has always been my contention the reason the problem with the stock seat is the fact that it is too soft. Folks that have added even more foam to it seem to be working the wrong way.

I ended up getting a Corbin seat, which is known to be "Hard", but folks that like them...well love them.

That thin 1 inch foam on top is more or less there to hide slight imperfections and does not need to be that thick. The seat I made used 1/4 inch thick foam for the cover, and I cut the stock foam down to about half its thickness.

The other problem with the stock seat, for me, was it was too wide near the front, so I narrowed the foam there also. The Corbin is also less wide and more rounded.

So generally if you cut the foam down, and narrow the front, you will improve the comfort. Adding memory foam to me sounds like going "too soft" again, but evey butt is different and some folks like cushy seats....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
my thinking was that the closed cell memory foam ,and I may be calling it by the wrong name,would be somewhat stiffer than the factory padding,Denny

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
my thinking was that the closed cell memory foam ,and I may be calling it by the wrong name,would be somewhat stiffer than the factory padding,Denny
I believe closed cell is the correct name(at least that's what I've read elsewhere). I'm in the process of doing my seat. I got a couple foam camping mats from Wal Mart. I'm in the process of cutting them up and putting them on the seat in layers until I get it how I think I want it. I'll then put a layer of 1/4" softer foam over it to smooth it out with the cover back on. The foam and a couple cans of spray adhesive were less than $50 at wally world, if I remember correctly. If I ever get it done I'll put up a post and pics and let everyone know how it turns out.

Mom, I'm not wearing my helmet only for the purpose of taking this picture and
the background was digitally blurred to make it look like I'm going really fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement