Sometimes I wish I could like a big bike--- - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Sometimes I wish I could like a big bike---

I was by the Kawasaki shop yesterday and they had a new 08 black Nomad 1600 marked down $2,000 to $10,999... That is a lot of bike for 11K, just not for me...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 PM

Last year at the vintage races at Barbers motorsports park, I took a test ride on the Triumph Rockett three. man that thing is big. handled ok, but just wasnt fun.

1990 vn-750
metzler 880's
r/r relocated
iridium plugs
ngk plug caps
mf agm battery
ballancer and stator replaced. (Lance328)
Pro Tac Backrest
progressive fork springs
fork seals replaced
2003 kdx 220
frp chain gude
frp skid plate
acerbix hand guards
uni filter
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
my first street bike was a 1972 Electra Glide with a sprung double seat when i First bought I had to tiptoe to touch the ground,I got a seat from a friend who owned a Superglide and took the big banana boat seat on a pogo stick off and used his seat until I could afford to buy a frame mount E-Glide seat.I loved that old bike and kept it several years and still have a soft spot for big old baggers.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Sometimes I wish I could like a big bike---

Yep, that's one of the biggest reasons I did not get a Goldwing...(pun intended)

I just don't like big bikes. Or big cars for that matter:

When I first went to look at the FJR I was a bit hesitant because it is a 1300 and does weigh 600 lbs. But after sitting on it I was amazed how small it felt.

Sitting on a Goldwing I felt my 155 pound 5'9" body was suddenly shrunk to kid size. It felt overwhelmingly large.

Those 1500-1800 cc cruisers seemed to have nothing but gas tank in front of me, again I felt out of place.

Small is good.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Sitting on a Goldwing I felt my 155 pound 5'9" body was suddenly shrunk to kid size. It felt overwhelmingly large.KM
I can very well understand... I did heavy equip. training in the army 55-57 and operated several dozers up to and including Cat. D-7s...
Well in the 80s I did a substation in Bray Town Tn. on St. Hwy 116 (part of the Devils Triangle) out of Brushy Mountain St. prison... I got along good with the contractor and he found out I was a bit of a heavy equipment operator and invited me to operate his International TD-25 dozer, well I got on that sucker and started to push dirt and it was like I was on a barn roof with one leg on one side and the other leg on the other side, talk about being intimidated, was I ever, I got off that thing and told him I did not want to fool with that monster again, way too much for me...lol...
That was the worst I have been ever felt intiminated...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Vintage bike addict

Big bikes and machines I like. Big prices or payments. I'm allergic!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
I can very well understand... I did heavy equip. training in the army 55-57 and operated several dozers up to and including Cat. D-7s...
Well in the 80s I did a substation in Bray Town Tn. on St. Hwy 116 (part of the Devils Triangle) out of Brushy Mountain St. prison... I got along good with the contractor and he found out I was a bit of a heavy equipment operator and invited me to operate his International TD-25 dozer, well I got on that sucker and started to push dirt and it was like I was on a barn roof with one leg on one side and the other leg on the other side, talk about being intimidated, was I ever, I got off that thing and told him I did not want to fool with that monster again, way too much for me...lol...
That was the worst I have been ever felt intiminated...
I hear that! I met my dad at his work one day a while back. He used to push coal for PECO, he's retired now. I jumped in a rubber tire bulldozer and pushed 2 tons of coal at a shot across the coal pile about a hundred yards or so. I got in the thing by grabbing a whole handful of one of the treads and my pop pulling slowly forward lifting me up the onto the tire. If I stood on his shoulders I wouldn't have been able to reach the top of the tire with my hand from the ground. My Jeep Liberty looked like a match box car next to it. The only thing bigger than that was the coal barge that was dropping the coal into the pile. That was a big f#@*in' boat!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Adventuregeek

Bigger is bogus, resist the brainwashing

I like to try and figure out the "why" behind the way things are. Considering that a 750 USED to be a "big" cycle, whats driving the push to 1800 and such?

My opinion: Sales price.

It's the same as RV's. The dealers would rather you bought a $35,000 cycle than a $10,000 one. Thus they (and the mags and websites they advertise on) push bigger for their OWN ends. It's not to make us happy with monster machines.

Bigger ain't better, it's only more trouble. A monster RV or cycle is harder to handle, park, maintain, feed, store, etc. My VN750 goes faster than I'll ever want, hardly notices a load or passenger, and looks great. Who needs a half-ton cycle that costs like a house?

Dang, talking about it makes me wanna go home and ride it!

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Coastered, R&R relocation, MCCT's, Koso mirrors, Memphis Shades windshield, Mutazu GA hard bags, big monkey in the saddle. ATGATT: Olympia AST hi-viz jacket, Recon 2 (convertible) pants
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 03:17 PM

It's all about what you are used to. Your prospectives change all throughout your life and you never know what event or experience will change you. I used to think the 750 was exactly the right size bike for me and I rode it for 3 years before I felt like it was a little small. Of course riding some bigger bikes during that time helped me decide that. Since I got the 1500 my 750 has been in the garage. I took it a couple weekends ago for a 50 mile ride to stretch it's legs and man I felt scrunched up on it. It really bugged me how I couldn't stretch my legs any. It's been raining for a week here and today I rode the 1500 for the first time in about a week. When I got on and started backing down my driveway I thought man this bike feels light! Only thing I can attribute that to is the lower saddle so I feel more balanced I guess. It takes less effort to walk the bike.
Anyhow, I guess I'm trying to say that until you experience something different, you might not know you like something else better. If you are happy with your 750, just don't be tempted to sit on or ride another bike and you will probably be fine.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Garage
I think it is the same reason they make Vanilla and Chocolate Ice cream---everybody is different, the Vulcan is an exceptional motorcycle for what it is.And what it is to me may be a completely different thing than what it is to the next person.I like it and it is fun but would I want to ride it cross country ,no,could I ride it cross country ,yes but it would not be my first choice.I have never been bitten by the Gold Wing bug ,I have ridden them and frankly they weren't fun,neither was the Voyager,I have ridden the Nomad and would rate it as" I could live with it,but not my first choice".Lately I have been looking at FJR,Concours and the ST1300 type sport tourers,The beemer is just too Ugly,I know it is probably world class,But I ain't into apologizing for owning an ugly bike every where I go.There are a lot of good bikes out there but liking what you ride and riding what you like is what it is all about.To me ,more than any thing, bikes are supposed to be fun!!!

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement