Make us a GPS readable in direct sun! (Kindle can do it.) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Make us a GPS readable in direct sun! (Kindle can do it.)

While some GPS manufacturers claim anti-glare and some claim they are made for a motorcycle, there isn't a GPS out there that can be used on a bright, sunny day. They all wash out. Even the "anti-glare" and "motorcycle" GPS units will be unreadable in direct sunlight. That's where I live.

I have an Amazon Kindle. Even in the brightest of sunshine the screen on my Kindle is perfectly readable. I can take it to the beach on the brightest of days and read without a problem. The technology exists for writing a map to a display that won't wash in direct, bright sun.

FOR GOSH SAKES, SOMEONE MAKE US A GPS THAT CAN BE READ IN THE SUN.

(Please!)

Steve
North Olmsted, Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:05 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

I can read my Megellan Roadmate 3050T in the sun without a problem. Have had it on the bike for over a year with no problems.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I have a Garmin Zum0 550. Never really had any problems seeing it.

Wondering why you are bitching about this when you state YOUR GPS does not suffer this malady.

Never heard of the Amazon Kindle, but would guess you work for them or sell them.

And who the f needs a GPS on the beach? It's the beach dammit, there must be better things to do than play with your GPS.

So...yeah, pretty odd for you second post here.

Knifemaker

(pissing off members for since Jun 2004)

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Dianna; 06-02-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: language

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

i didnt know there were beaches in Ohio. unless your calling the shoreline of lake Erie a beach.

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

http://youtube.com/user/cm4cm5
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:00 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

I take it the GPS is used to find the water when the eyes are on the.... well, I won't go there. I hope it has voice instructions.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Real bunch of bad dudes here, huh?

An Amazon Kindle isn't a GPS. It is a device that allows you to take a book, or hundreds of books, and digitally store and read them in a package somewhat smaller than a legal pad. It uses a dramatically different type of display. While monochrome, it is visible without regard to the angle of the sun. No, I don't work for them or sell them. I do, however, read.

I have and use a Magellan 4050 which is quite similar to the 3050. While it is often readable, it is a problem when the sun is high and bright, shining onto the display. It is a problem at high noon. Otherwise, I can read it. In the morning and evening it works great.

A friend has a Garmin Zumo and it was as washed out as mine. The technology is the same, anti-glare and "made for a motorcycle" aside, it is still a LCD. As to the beaches, I ride to many beaches in many different states. You aren't really limited to the state you live in.

Steve
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

My Garmin Nuvi 500 is better than my Nuvi 200 but not by much, and neither are readable in bright sun at all angles, I catch myself checking to make sure they are on 100% brightness sometimes, like trying to find 6th gear on the VN 750...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Straight roads are evil

Zumo 550 and never had a problem.

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I must add that when it is sunny outside, I am usually wearing polarized sunglasses, which might make seeing the screen on my Zumo easier. (They do cause some odd rainbow effects when looking at the screen, but still readable)

On top of that , partly because it is a touch screen, I use Palm screen protectors. These are thin sheets of plasitc you cover your display with. Am not sure if this would add or subtract to the problem. But I use them on ALL my electronics that have displays...cameras, cell phones, etc.

Lastly, when riding , I don't really spend anytime looking at my GPS... instead I look at the road. If I have a route I am following, I listen to directions from the voice prompts via bluetooth or direct wired earbuds and only need to look at the screen when stopped. If there was a problem with reflected light, I can also swivel the GPS unit to a different angle by an adjusting knob on its mount....(The car cradle swivels also)

I guess the reason I yanked your chain so hard was that out of all the features I would really like to see added or changed on my GPS and GPS software, sun glare on the screen would be way at the bottom of the list.

As a side note, I do remember seeing owners of the "old" garmin 2600 series using a mount that had a hood covering the top of the screen. Just a "minature awning" of metal as it were, which I am told solved the problem.

Most of the folks here are "old school"...meaning they read too, but still use those books with covers and pages made of paper.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM

got a question for ya.... do you own a motorcycle???

cuz most people do an intro and throw up some pictures... unless i completely missed them.... in that case would someone point me int he correct direction???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement