The Devil's in the Details - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Angry The Devil's in the Details

My turn to vent about stealerships...

When I bought this project bike, the rear tire needed to be replaced. Fortunately, The Guest had an almost-new rear Metzler but on a crummy-looking '85 rim; so in December, I took the two rims to the local stealership and asked 'em to put the Metzler on the project rim, assuming the tire was ok. It was, so for $32, I got a new tire on the project moto.

But working on the bike this week, I went to back it out of the garage and the rear tire was flat. Put air in it and it was flat in two days. Sooo, I took the wheel back to the stealership today and said, "Can you check the valve stem?" Got a call two hours later, "Your stem is completely dry-rotted, we'll have to replace it." Picked it up to the tune of $40, 'because we had to take the tire off the rim."

Now, I know that things don't "completely dry rot" in 4 months; so doncha think when Chucklehead went to put air in the tire after changing it over he'd have noticed that something looked bad? Granted, I didn't *say* "check the valve stem," but wouldn't a thorough mechanic think about that as he blew air into the tire??? Kinda like pulling the carbs to clean one jet, and ignoring the others.

Sadly, I still haven't mastered the art of blowing off a tubeless tire using boards, tire irons, and leverage so I can't do my own wheel work; but it was a good reminder of how important this forum is to those of us who want to do the work ourselves to ensure it gets done correctly.

Thanks for letting me vent.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 PM

Sorry workmanship, pure and simple. No, I take that back. Incompetence, through and through. I have NEVER had a tire mounted without the installer replacing the stem without asking. Stems are so cheap it doesn't pay NOT to replace them. So they charged you $32 to dismount and remount a tire, and $42 to half dismount (that's all it takes to put in a valve stem), install stem, and half remount. That was a VERY expensive stem is all I can say. I'd talk to the parts department and ask them what they would charge for a valve stem (just bought some for my 750 at NAPA for $2 each, FWIW). Armed with that information, I'd go talk to the service or dealership manager and ask them to break down the charges. Would also point out their failure to check the stem the first time. That's simply not right, and they shouldn't get by without being called on it!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Good point, flitecontrol. I'll hit 'em up over the weekend - the $40 torqued me 'cause I know the stems are a couple o' bucks. Argh.

C

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
i havent used one but they make a tire mount and dismount rack at harbor freight for the cost of those to transactions... and i know its common practice to replace a stem on a new tire purchace (i used to work at a car tire place) and the mount and dimount is generally free if u bring in the rim maybe 10 or 15 for the balancing... i hate shops in general i find 9 out of 10 times i have to dero te work anyway ... lets boycot them!!!!

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 PM

Ma Kawi giveth and taketh away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
My turn to vent about stealerships...

Granted, I didn't *say* "check the valve stem," but wouldn't a thorough mechanic think about that as he blew air into the tire??? Kinda like pulling the carbs to clean one jet, and ignoring the others.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Cindy --

Within the last week Ma Kawi mounted new Metzelers for me first the rear and today the front. Both times they told me "It'll be $15 plus $3 if you need a valve stem."

You should not have to ask them to check the valve stem. This is definitely their fault. I agree with FliteControl. You should let them know they screwed up!

Along with helping us to get our scoots running this forum is also good for V E N T I N G !!!!

Ma Kawi giveth and taketh away!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Damb Cindy... that sounds like the same dealer I go to. They can't seem to anything right. Go ahead & vent. If anyone diserves it, it is You!

Talking to a dealer is like...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement