New battery.. so what's the problem?! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
New battery.. so what's the problem?!

Hello all!

Yesterday, I was surprising my wife with a long ride in the sun before dinner and the Fleetwood Mac Concert.. it was supposed to be an awesome day. Well we started out with a great ride! It was beautiful! Until I Stopped to get gas. When I shut her off and filled the tank, all seemed normal. Then I went to start her up and .. click click click.. nothing! I tried to bump the clutch using a hill in the parking lot.. no dice.. A nice man from NY was traveling with his daughter was nice enough to push me around the parking lot as I continued to try to bump the clutch.. still no luck! So he mentioned he had jumper cables to which I explained I needed a socket to get to the battery. He was sent from heaven because he had just what I needed to pop the seat off and we jumped her without issue. Well a moment later she cut out again... I tried the started and still click click click.. nothing! We jumped it once more... and rode around the lot to make sure it was ok as he drove off. Well we gunned it home... missing our dinner reservations, and as we pulled off the freeway, the bike shut off again- about a mile from the house. So we parked it in the Home Depot lot and hoofed it the mile to pick the car up. Luckily my Volvo is more reliable and likes to drive fast.. we made it to the arena for the concert just missing the first 30 minutes.. and we got an upgrade to much closer seats so it ended well I guess to that point. So after the concert.. we stopped at Home Depot and she still wouldn't start. So I had the wife drive the car as I pushed my Vulcan home!

So today my back is a wreck.. my legs are bruised from the pegs, and I'm spending the day with the laptop, the remote, and the bed! But can anyone help me understand what the heck happened and how to fix it? I mean the battery isn't 3 months old, and I had fully charged it before we left today. How can I make sure this doesn't happen again?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Love My Baby

So sorry your awesome day almost got ruined because of your Vulcan. Good to hear you ended the evening with better seats for FM.

As for the electrical problem, defective batteries are known to be out there and I suspect this is the problem. The clicking noise tells me your starter is trying but not getting enough juice. The bike did take a jump and ran for a while, telling me that the slight charge it received from the start, and the bike's charging system, kept it going for a while at least. Let's hope it's not more involved than the battery. Take it to be load tested or something where you bought it because it should still be under warranty.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 PM

that sucks...
but look at the bright side, you made it to the concert, and you made it home alive and well with MEMORIES to look back on and laugh at later!
hope you find the problem...

'99 VN750 with 8900 miles and growing (3,111 when I bought it 03-22-08)
Ear shave with Unipods
Drilled mufflers and degoat
TOC springs
N/C Street shield EX windshield
Jumbo Saddleman Highway Studded saddlebags
Willie and Max Saddlebag mounting kit
License plate turn signals
Home made sissy bar
Luggage Rack from Scoop
http://youtube.com/user/99vulcan750

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:09 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

X2 to what RubyRick said.
Also, as usually asked about similar situations, have you cleaned and checked the battery connections?
Glad ya made it in time for most of the concert and to the upgraded seats.....

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Love My Baby

Good point Hyper. Even though the battery is new, the connections could be loose or corroded or damaged. Sometimes the ground wire could be loose or corroded at the frame connection, too.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Check your charging system.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
sounds to me like a bad ground (well i hope this is the case as opose to the charging system... ) the fact that u shut it down and it wouldnt start... what year and how many miles (though are charging system tends to not care about the age and miles... ) im leaning towards the batt ok with it being the age it is is it a MF agm? there are a lot of situations but I'd start with a volt meter accross the batt... then jump her and do the same test.... good luck and keep us posted...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
Thanks to all for the responses.. you all are great!

The battery is new, and it is MF agm.. It was the Yuasa.. the most expensive one they had! I was shocked to pay $100 for it! The connections don't appear to be eroded but I will investigate that further, I will also look at the ground to the frame! I'll put my volt meter on it also to see how that works out. And I'll read up on the charging system so I'm prepared if this gets worse...

All in all the night was a success. FM was AWESOME, and the wife loved the effort- that was the main goal. Although I spent all day Sunday in bed and today I have knots the size of baseballs in my back, it was a pleasurable experience.

My bike is 1995 with just over 20k miles.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Hopefully it's something simple, but if it turns out to be a charging system issue you're in the right place. I had my r/r take a permanent vacation right after I bought my bike. I was more than a little frustrated trying to figure out what was going on by myself, but with the help of some of the good folks on this forum I was able to diagnose the problem and fix it relatively cheap.

I have had another r/r go south since then (don't buy an electrex r/r), but I knew what to look for to do the diagnostics. I'd recommend adding a battery gauge to your bike so you can keep an eye on what the charging system is doing while you're riding. I put one on my bike a couple of months ago and I can tell you that the peace of mind that you get knowing that it's working like it should be is priceless.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Don't rule out a bad battery just because it is new, have it checked even if it is a $1,000 Lith-Ion or some other witches brew, it can still be baaaaaaaaadddddddd.........One of the best HP outboard mechanics I know will always put a used but known working part on an outboard before a new one if he has one, if that fixes the problem he will install a new part...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement