Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Repairing Broken Turn Signal Stem(s)

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  OleDirtyDoc 
#1 ·
Everyone is familiar with the sagging turn signal stems. Most have heard of the "Bic" pen fix for the sagging (used as a stent). I keep searching for repair of a broken stem but can't seem to find any discussion on the matter. My stems are broken and I want to glue them back together. In order to select the best glue or adhesive I need to know what material the stems are made of. Does anyone have that information? Has anyone successfully glued these stems back together for a lasting repair? What kind of glue did you use?

Thanks, Larry

#2 · (Edited)
I understand wanting to repair vs replace, but can't imagine what you could use that would hold up very long.

Replacements can be inexpensive sometimes if you shop price. I'm satisfied with the ones I put on the rear, and they have running lights.

Edit: I do have one pair of really, really cheap signals, new, but I didn't want to use them.

My first thought was some sort of fiberglas method, or Dura-glas, but I still have doubts.

PVC pipe?

#3 ·
I'm thinking of an adhesive/glue that could be clamped and cured forming a bond stronger than the material itself. (Analogous to carpenter glue on wood). I know I should be able to find the right glue if I knew the type of rubber that makes up the stem. One would think that someone over the years has had experience in repairing these stems.
Larry

#5 ·
#6 ·
I did the box pen trick and wound black tape tightly around it.

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.