Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

My build...the general idea

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  OleDirtyDoc 
#1 ·
Ok, so since I've been registered to this forum as of an hour ago, I have made several references to my chopper build. Here's my grand scheme for the build. The bones of the build is a 1988 VN750. The engine is coming out of a 2001 VN750. The bike as I bought it was a rolling chasis for $26 with a title. The parts bike that I have the engine from I got for $100 without a title. It was also a rolling chasis. So all I've got are the frame, the engine, most of the front and rear ends, the transmission, and the final drive. The general idea: custom purple and white paint job (including rims, exhaust, and engine), single carb conversion, plus 5" fork tubes, -1" rear suspension, modification to a single spine, peanut tank, and apes, deleting all of the extra sensors and other crap to make is as simple and clean as possible...I can't wait to get it done!

#2 · (Edited)
Might be ok if the geometry comes out right. Think I would keep the carbs and just learn them, unless making the manifold is a strong point for you.

How many carbs do you have? I'll take any you don't need if you do the single.

Singles often end up sticking out too far to the side, and fabricating the manifold can be tricky.

#7 ·
He will still have to rake the neck to make the geometry work. I wonder if he will be doing away with the front disk brakes? I wouldn't trust relying solely on the rear drum too much

#12 ·
The steering head will have to be raked to keep the steering geometry useable with extended forks. And it will handle poorly. Kind of like a wheelbarrow. I wouldn't trust anyone but a professional frame builder to do the frame work. There is a tremendous amount of stress on the steering head, and there will be even more with a raked out front end. You can use just a single front disc brake on the front wheel, I have done it on a stock VN750 for 100,000 miles. Or better yet, it would be nice if you could find a front wheel with a drum brake. There is nothing wrong with a drum brake, as long as it is in the front. Dual discs in the rear would be worthless without a front brake.

I love the idea of a single carb, but I have yet to see a singe carb manifold for the Vulcan 750 that I would use. I actually like the idea of a carb/air cleaner sticking way out on the right side, I have considered putting such an air cleaner on my Sportster 1200.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.