Where did these features go on newer bikes? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Where did these features go on newer bikes?

My bike is an 86 VN750. As I look around at other (newer) bikes, I always wonder why these features went away. Anybody want to offer an opinion?

The tachometer: Seriously. That delivers useful information. You're heading into a curve, and sure you can FEEL how much torque you might have, but by looking at the tach you actually KNOW where in the power band you are. I look at newer bikes and damn few have tachometers. Why have bike designers decided, "Meh... they don't really need that"?

Gauges IN your field of vision: Seems like newer bikes have all decided that the tank-mounted speedometer is the way to go. I admit, it does give a cleaner look to the bike. However, who decided that every time you wanted to check to see if you were under the speed limit (oh, hello, officer...) you need to basically look down at your crotch. Okay, so maybe not quite that far, but it's easily a 45 degree angle. This means that for that period of time, you're not watching the road at all. Older bikes like the VN750s had the gauges up over the handlebars. Glance down about 20 degrees and the road is still in your peripheral vision.

Pipes on either side of the bike: I dig a nice set of double-barrel Vance & Hines as much as the next guy, but when "both pipes same side" is the ONLY option, it's kind of boring. Plus, there's a certain symmetry to the "one pipe per side" setup. I know that a lot of baggers have this as a standard setup, but how about mixing it up? Why did everyone decide that one side is the only way to go?

Anyway, let's hear your opinion on these, and any other features you'd like to see modern bikes bring back.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 03:24 PM

Boomers on Harley's. /thread

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 03:37 PM

I think you're right. Maybe it's the "less is more" thinking, along with support from bean counters, "less is also cheaper to build".

Style and profits.

Have heard some riders complain about the same things on their bikes.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 10:25 AM

Garage
I've ridden bikes without fuel gauges! It's an exercise in watching the trip meter! Granted, the gauge on this bike reads full for 50 miles, goes to just above half at 100 miles, and is bone dry at 140 miles...but what happens when you haven't learned your bike range yet? What happens if you forget to reset the trip meter at fill up? It's dumb...

I've ridden bikes without a tach. With stock exhaust above 50 mph, I could be cruising in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and have no idea unless I really know how the engine feels.
And unless you have a shift light or rev limiter, how do you know when to shift?
(Side note, anyone else maintain their speed using the tach more than their speedometer? I ride at 4.5k on country roads...)

I've ridden bikes with an LCD speedometer. My polarizing sunglasses make them very hard to read!

I like the temp gauge, but I would be fine without one. Especially on carb bikes, because it's easy to tell how warm the engine is by how it runs.
The bike I rode without a temp gauge did have an overheat light.

I could go with a single dash light for signals (vs left/right), though I prefer the dual.

We VN750 riders really are spoiled!

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion.

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals. Windshield. Highway Pegs. (Possible) ignition adv. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Every sport, sport touring, adventure and touring bike I’ve seen has a tach, so I guess you’re just talking about cruisers ? (Harley’s)

There are dozens and dozens of motorcycles on the market. Am sure one could find one with the features they want.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 02:58 PM

There's quite a few cruisers with no tach, not including Harleys. Boulevard, Intruder, Ace, Shadow .....

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 04:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I know, that’s why I asked about cruisers. Harley was just an example.

The full instrumentation is one of the reasons I bought the Vulcan.

And I hear what he said about LCD’s. I like analog gauges.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
Had a chance to ride frined's new Indian Scout. not having a tach was indeed srtange.

Ride Safe

Anton.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 10:04 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler1021 View Post
Seems like newer bikes have all decided that the tank-mounted speedometer is the way to go.
Jay
To all motorcycle sales personnel: DO NOT EVER SHOW ME A BIKE WITHOUT A TACH!!! OR A SPEEDO ON THE TANK!!!!!!

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Odometer @ October, 2019: 14,200
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement