Good CHEAP riding glasses? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Cool Good CHEAP riding glasses?

Hello again Friends - Back in the day when I rode my Ninjas, etc, I was always able to just pop into a drug store or what have you, and get a CHEAP pair of sunglasses that sealed around my nose, and wrapped enough around the side to shield my eyes from any wind. Seems a lot harder to find nowadays. In Maine, we do not need a helmet, and I refuse to wear one. I ride free, understanding the consequences. However, I do want and need aye safety. I am right now wearing clear safety glasses I get from work, but they don't seal much, or wraparound, and my eyes water like a SOB! I am just curious what you all may be wearing. I don't want motorcycle glasses that look like they should come with ski poles, lol. I want cheap, because I have lost some before, and scratched some before, and I want easily replaceable. Maybe I'll see what good old Walmart has, but thought I'd see what you all do for eye protection. Example of what I am seeking below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glasses.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	47827  

1986 VN750 26,000 miles
Deka AGM Battery 4-2020
All else stock, more to come thanks to VN750.com members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 08:50 AM

Around where I’m at, every drug store (Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS) has a sunglass rack. I’m sure you can get something at a store like that. I have a windshield so it cuts the wind down on my face quite a bit but I still have multiple pairs of glasses. I have two pairs of clear safety glasses for night time, I also have a couple pairs of “nice” glasses because I do a lot of fishing and the last thing you want to do is squint all day when on the water for 6-7 hours. And lastly I have a pair of Bobsters photo-chromatic glasses. They are the only pair of “motorcycle” glasses I own, they darken in the sun, lighten up as it gets cloudy or dark out, they have padding to block the wind, and I can take the arms off and snap in a strap and wear them like goggles. I will probably be wearing these more because I just ordered a half helmet. PA doesn’t require helmets, even though I wear it anyway, NJ however does require you to wear one and I ride there often because of the beach towns. Anyway, I think the Bobsters were like $45 which is fairly cheap for glasses that are actually made for riding
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 09:44 AM

I'm legally blind without specs or contacts. With contacts, I wear the dark safety glasses they hand out at the power plants.

They had these for a while, but there are different styles, full frame, etc. Almost all are wrap-around.
https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-.../dp/B000NP8U1I

$7.88 doesn't seem too terrible.

I like having the dark shield on my helmet, with dark glasses on too, almost don't even notice the sun eating me alive.

I keep a pair of clear glasses in the saddlebag for when I'm out at night.

Wind will blow contacts right out without glasses on. Had to quit contacts, wore them too long and created a problem with blood vessels in my eyes.

Clip-ons for Rx glasses blow right off. Transition lenses are expensive and don't get nearly dark enough, and won't fully darken if you're in a car. Pretty useless.

Going with two pairs this time, clear and Deep Space Dark.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 09:48 AM

My friend picked up a pair of Stihl sunglasses at Rural King, forget the price but I thought they were reasonable.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
Around where I’m at, every drug store (Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS) has a sunglass rack. I’m sure you can get something at a store like that. I have a windshield so it cuts the wind down on my face quite a bit but I still have multiple pairs of glasses. I have two pairs of clear safety glasses for night time, I also have a couple pairs of “nice” glasses because I do a lot of fishing and the last thing you want to do is squint all day when on the water for 6-7 hours. And lastly I have a pair of Bobsters photo-chromatic glasses. They are the only pair of “motorcycle” glasses I own, they darken in the sun, lighten up as it gets cloudy or dark out, they have padding to block the wind, and I can take the arms off and snap in a strap and wear them like goggles. I will probably be wearing these more because I just ordered a half helmet. PA doesn’t require helmets, even though I wear it anyway, NJ however does require you to wear one and I ride there often because of the beach towns. Anyway, I think the Bobsters were like $45 which is fairly cheap for glasses that are actually made for riding
Thanks mmart! Only issue is heaven forbid I try a pair of glasses on right now, and not buy them cause they don't fit right! Our way of life is changed for who knows how long, but for a long time for sure. This virus really sucks! I think for most people it's over rated, but I realize a lot of people are not in the "most people" crowd, so I understand.

1986 VN750 26,000 miles
Deka AGM Battery 4-2020
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
I'm legally blind without specs or contacts. With contacts, I wear the dark safety glasses they hand out at the power plants.

They had these for a while, but there are different styles, full frame, etc. Almost all are wrap-around.
https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-.../dp/B000NP8U1I

$7.88 doesn't seem too terrible.

I like having the dark shield on my helmet, with dark glasses on too, almost don't even notice the sun eating me alive.

I keep a pair of clear glasses in the saddlebag for when I'm out at night.

Wind will blow contacts right out without glasses on. Had to quit contacts, wore them too long and created a problem with blood vessels in my eyes.

Clip-ons for Rx glasses blow right off. Transition lenses are expensive and don't get nearly dark enough, and won't fully darken if you're in a car. Pretty useless.

Going with two pairs this time, clear and Deep Space Dark.
I ordered the pair off Amazon you linked to. I will try em out. Can't beat the price. I can use my clear safety glasses at night. I'll let ya know how it works out, if good, I may order the yellow lens to wear at night. Thanks again, Spockster!
Paulywog likes this.

1986 VN750 26,000 miles
Deka AGM Battery 4-2020
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 04:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Dollar Tree has wrap around sunglasses for $1. Harbor Freight currently has wrap around safety sunglasses in dark and yellow for $1.50 with coupon.

If your eyes water, it may be dry eye. I've got it.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RadCJ5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
Thanks mmart! Only issue is heaven forbid I try a pair of glasses on right now, and not buy them cause they don't fit right! Our way of life is changed for who knows how long, but for a long time for sure. This virus really sucks! I think for most people it's over rated, but I realize a lot of people are not in the "most people" crowd, so I understand.
Well yeah that’s a good point, I think I purposely forget the world is a bit crazy right now. Can’t wait until this whole mess is in the rear view
1RadCJ5 likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Dollar Tree has wrap around sunglasses for $1. Harbor Freight currently has wrap around safety sunglasses in dark and yellow for $1.50 with coupon.

If your eyes water, it may be dry eye. I've got it.
Thanks, flitecontrol - Neevr thought of Dollar Tree. Never been in one, and they built one 7 or 8 minutes from my house like 3 years ago. Although I ordered a pair off Amazon to try, I think end of this week I will zip to that store and take a look. No doubt I will end up with more than just glasses, if they have them, but it's always a good deal! That what my side bags are for

1986 VN750 26,000 miles
Deka AGM Battery 4-2020
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:44 AM

Places like Lowe's and hardware stores usually have some good ones too.

2003-21k mi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement