Ever wish for new paint scheme, but unable? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
1RadCJ5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: So. Maine
Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)
 
Ever wish for new paint scheme, but unable?

Just curious how many out there love their Vulcan(I know ALL do!) but wish they could make it a one of a kind, wish\dream bike with a new paint scheme? Thought this could be a fun post. I know some like matte black (could do by self probably?), some like other things, sparkly paint, skulls, etc. Myself, if I had someone who could do it(within $ reason) would love to have the two fenders, tank, and 2 side covers painted Van Halen colors. Then, the VH logo on the tank. Has been my favorite band since 12 years old, working on a lobster boat in Kennebunkport, Maine. Not that anyone cares, but the attached images are what I would wish for. What would YOU wish for, say, if you had a good painter who did it for the art, not to get rich off you ? Thoughts are endless!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VH1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	47719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank logo.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	47721  
MSattler likes this.

1986 VN750 26,000 miles
Deka AGM Battery 4-2020
All else stock, more to come thanks to VN750.com members!
1RadCJ5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 08:03 AM
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)
 
Im good with paint scheme, I think I would like no badging, but to have them airbrushed on instead.


Van Halen David Lee Roth or Sammy Hager era. Both excellent.
1RadCJ5 likes this.

Grumpy Old Man
Scooter 007 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
1RadCJ5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: So. Maine
Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter 007 View Post
Im good with paint scheme, I think I would like no badging, but to have them airbrushed on instead.


Van Halen David Lee Roth or Sammy Hager era. Both excellent.
I hear ya, Scooter. My bike looks good as is, but there are tiny paint flakes here and there from age. Less than 1mm in size. I just colored them in with a black sharpie. But when I am doing that, I just get ta thinkin, and it ain't always good! lol Just thought it would be a good thread to get opinions and engage.
Scooter 007 likes this.

1986 VN750 26,000 miles
Deka AGM Battery 4-2020
All else stock, more to come thanks to VN750.com members!
1RadCJ5 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 08:34 AM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,791
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
Ive always thought about getting a tattoo, but I never found something that I loved so much I would want it permanently placed on my body. Custom paint on a motorcycle is kind of the same.
Ive seen some awesome paint jobs, the one where some guy did his entire FJR with H.R. Giger inspired intricate graphics likely the best. The sport bike with the WW2 fighter scheme was pretty cool too.

I know if somehow I scratched my stock paint Id feel bad, so if it happened to an expensive custom job Id likely get physically ill LOL.

I think instead of some complex graphics Id rather have some deep metallic color with enough clear coat so it looks like the parts are covered with glass.

That or everything painted with a bright green reflective surface so the bike seems to glow at night
1RadCJ5 likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
MSattler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Iowa
Posts: 264
iTrader: (0)
 
I used bed liner... but my petcock (rebuilt 2x, could it be just bad luck with rebuild kits) and gas cap are leaking (got new o-rings coming and blew out the vent, still leaking) so the bed liner is now faded. It looked amazing at first, and the fenders and side covers turned out great. I want a durable finish that has 0 maintenance. Perhaps cerakote is more along the lines of what I am looking for. It takes me about 2 hours to polish the harley completely, and that's using lemon pledge between waxes.
1RadCJ5 likes this.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?
MSattler is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
mmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 450
iTrader: (1)
 
Ha I throw a vote in for David Lee Roth! As far as the color scheme goes, I would like to black out the motor and replace all the chrome accents with copper. Couldn’t find any pics that really captured my vision but I’m sure you get the idea.
1RadCJ5 and Scooter 007 like this.
mmart is online now  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Spockster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 7,400
iTrader: (5)
   
Really been wanting to try some hydrodip. Crazy amount of choices out there. I'd even dip my guns in it.

In the old days I'd call Lance over and in two hour he's freehanded a whole race car in the most fabulous artwork. Kick me now for not cutting any piece out and keeping it on the walls.
1RadCJ5 likes this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Spockster is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
1RadCJ5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: So. Maine
Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Ive always thought about getting a tattoo, but I never found something that I loved so much I would want it permanently placed on my body. Custom paint on a motorcycle is kind of the same.
Ive seen some awesome paint jobs, the one where some guy did his entire FJR with H.R. Giger inspired intricate graphics likely the best. The sport bike with the WW2 fighter scheme was pretty cool too.

I know if somehow I scratched my stock paint Id feel bad, so if it happened to an expensive custom job Id likely get physically ill LOL.

I think instead of some complex graphics Id rather have some deep metallic color with enough clear coat so it looks like the parts are covered with glass.

That or everything painted with a bright green reflective surface so the bike seems to glow at night
LOL Knifemaker - My 86 is a good ride, but a paint job is not as permanent as a tattoo, haha. Your right that it would suck to get scratched, but mine has blems now, so screw it, it would be cool to have. Don't plan to shell out the cash, unless some good painter needed work during this virus, in which case, I'd seriously consider it. Some graphics are crazy cool, some not, it's every persons choice of art. Some like it as-is. I love nice thick clear coat though, that glass look is mazing!

1986 VN750 26,000 miles
Deka AGM Battery 4-2020
All else stock, more to come thanks to VN750.com members!
1RadCJ5 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
1RadCJ5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: So. Maine
Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSattler View Post
I used bed liner... but my petcock (rebuilt 2x, could it be just bad luck with rebuild kits) and gas cap are leaking (got new o-rings coming and blew out the vent, still leaking) so the bed liner is now faded. It looked amazing at first, and the fenders and side covers turned out great. I want a durable finish that has 0 maintenance. Perhaps cerakote is more along the lines of what I am looking for. It takes me about 2 hours to polish the harley completely, and that's using lemon pledge between waxes.
Cerakote would be cool, MSattler - Guns ALWAYS look good in that, and durable!

1986 VN750 26,000 miles
Deka AGM Battery 4-2020
All else stock, more to come thanks to VN750.com members!
1RadCJ5 is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
1RadCJ5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: So. Maine
Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
Ha I throw a vote in for David Lee Roth! As far as the color scheme goes, I would like to black out the motor and replace all the chrome accents with copper. Couldnt find any pics that really captured my vision but Im sure you get the idea.
mmart - Diamond Dave has my vote too! - Copper on that blacked out engine would really pop. Cool vision, I like the ideas here!

1986 VN750 26,000 miles
Deka AGM Battery 4-2020
All else stock, more to come thanks to VN750.com members!
1RadCJ5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome