Windscreen for a tall(?) guy - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Windscreen for a tall(?) guy

Hey all,

I'm 6'3" and have a big head. My Arai helmet is 2XL and fits snug. I am wondering what kind of a windscreen would be right for my height. the handle bars are at factory setting so my posture is pretty much completely upright when I ride. The wind really gives me a hard time on my neck once I reach highway speeds and I am looking for a way to reduce the effect.

The reason I mention my height is I am concerned that if I am too high above the windscreen then it could have an effect of increasing the amount of wind pushed to my helmet, thereby causing more strain on the neck.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Intelligent Redneck

I'm 6'-0" tall with a fairly small windscreen. I don't have too much trouble with the wind hitting my helmet... actually under some conditions I have too little circulation and my helmet shield fogs up.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 PM

I'm 6'1 and I use the memphis shades windshield to help reduce the wind. The only mod needed is to relocate the turn signals. This took me around a hour to relocate turn signals and mount windshield. But there are several windshields that fit our bike and dosen't require you to relocate turn signal. I think you can find several pics on this site that might help you with your decision . Good luck.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Both the National Cycle windscreens - the Plexistar 2 and the Plexifairing 3 come a bit tall for under 6 footers. I am 5'9" and my Plexistar was cut down almost 4 inches , so I would bet an "unaltered" or new one would be just about the right size.

Most makers have measurements on their websites stating the height of each windscreen. All you really need to do is sit on the bike like you are riding and have someone measure the distance from the top of the headlight to where your "eye level" is.
Then just go and find one thats height matches your measurement.

Remember that any screen can be cut down, so if you are not exactly sure what height will work on the street, it's better to get one too tall than too short. Most windscreens will have some "play" in how they tall they are based on how you mount them and how much rake you use.

So you first should pick out what style you like and go from there.
Here is a side by side photo of my Vulcan with a Memphis Shades Hellcat on the left and a Plexistar 2 on the right :

http://tinyurl.com/dzkvjg

If you line up the headlights a bit better you can see the PS2 is taller and of course wider. The Hellcat would not likely be tall enough for what you are wishing, as was on the low side for me, but did a good job keeping wind off my chest. You can check their website , but I think the Hellcat was 18" tall (again they measure from the top of the headlight)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Thabks for the tips guys. I feel better about looking into the plexi windscreens now (I liked the way they looked from the get-go). I'll have to pick one up and try it out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 AM

I'm 6' tall, and have a Plexistar 2 as well. I think that this would likely work well for you.

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement