pictures of my hard bag mod - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
I have found out that rattle can works well, with the right amount of prep
sooooo.... what is the proper prep to paint abs plastic?????

VROC #12293
2004 VN750
MSF Ridercoach

new tires (OEM Stones) 6/2008
home made floorboards (knifemakers styling)
stator replaced 6/2008
cobra slashcuts 7/2007
clear alternatives brake & tailight 8/2008
Added Mutazu hard bags 3/2009
added customLED load equalizers for the bags LED lights 3/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

You have done a very nice job with the whole bike, Stan. I have several questions about the bags and other mods/items I noticed on the bike. The bags appear to be the Mutazu silver LN series. Did you mount them with a universal bracket set or fabricate your own? The Mutazu website sells a universal bracket and has mounting directions and pictures, but they are unclear to me on one point. They only show one mounting bolt attached from the bag to each bracket, and it is self threading into the bracket. It seems to me that there must be at least two bolts holding the bag to each bracket in order to maintain the geometry and stop fore and aft movement of the bags. It would also need two bolts to stop flexing of the plastic bag wall, leading to rapid fatigue and failure.

Also if you used self threading bolts into the brackets, did you back it with lock washers, nuts, locktite, etc?

Do you find the side opening bags easier to load and access than top opening ones? I think that I would like a set of the Mutazu Ga series that are top opening and an inch thicker than your LN series. I think the black ones would suit the `91 Vulcan`s red and dark maroon paint, but the lighter colored silver bags might be more eye catching in traffic to the sides and rear, and thus become a safety item as well. Unfortunately the GA series does not have any tail/brake lights, which I would like too.

You have removed your OEM rear signal lights. Do you use the red bag lights for signals? I thought later model motorcycles were supposed to have amber colored rear signals now.

Do you use the helmet locks in their new location?

I see you have Kury grips and brake pedal cover. I first learned of the brake cover only yesterday. What are the dimensions?..and did you add it for esthetics or for function? What are your impressions pro or con after riding with and without it? Would you recommend it to another rider?

Your Km style footboards look good too. Some others I`ve seen have the rubber grip coming right out to the edge. Yours rubber grip appears to be glued to a recessed, milled out area with a raised metal lip around the edge, giving a more finished look. Will your boards fold up without hitting the engine case? Hey, the gremlin bell is fun too!

Your black clutch and brake levers suit the bike. I`ve never seen them before. Are they stock or aftermarket?

I like the looks of your windshield for summer riding. What is it? I have a big tombstone shaped shield which is good for cooler weather, but could stand a little more airflow on hot days.

I think the strips of white reflector tape you have covering the bottom half of the toolbox door work well with the red refector already there.

Do you ever forget the sidestand ground plate? I`ve thought if a guy had a nice one, he should have a colorful tether from it tied to the handlebars so he would be reminded to retrieve it when mounting up. I usually end up using a crushed pop can when I need one.

You might want to take a look at the clutch basket cover, and clean off that peeling plastic/clear coat. Just a little bodge on an otherwise great looking bike. I won`t tell anybody about it if you don`t. <G> If your bike is a reflection of your personality, I think you have a good family and lucky friends. Keep the rubber on the road.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-14-2009 at 04:13 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
You have done a very nice job with the whole bike, Stan. I have several questions about the bags and other mods/items I noticed on the bike. The bags appear to be the Mutazu silver LN series. Did you mount them with a universal bracket set or fabricate your own? The Mutazu website sells a universal bracket and has mounting directions and pictures, but they are unclear to me on one point. They only show one mounting bolt attached from the bag to each bracket, and it is self threading into the bracket. It seems to me that there must be at least two bolts holding the bag to each bracket in order to maintain the geometry and stop fore and aft movement of the bags. It would also need two bolts to stop flexing of the plastic bag wall, leading to rapid fatigue and failure.

Also if you used self threading bolts into the brackets, did you back it with lock washers, nuts, locktite, etc?

Do you find the side opening bags easier to load and access than top opening ones? I think that I would like a set of the Mutazu Ga series that are top opening and an inch thicker than your LN series. I think the black ones would suit the `91 Vulcan`s red and dark maroon paint, but the lighter colored silver bags might be more eye catching in traffic to the sides and rear, and thus become a safety item as well. Unfortunately the GA series does not have any tail/brake lights, which I would like too.

You have removed your OEM rear signal lights. Do you use the red bag lights for signals? I thought later model motorcycles were supposed to have amber colored rear signals now.

Do you use the helmet locks in their new location?

I see you have Kury grips and brake pedal cover. I first learned of the brake cover only yesterday. What are the dimensions?..and did you add it for esthetics or for function? What are your impressions pro or con after riding with and without it? Would you recommend it to another rider?

Your Km style footboards look good too. Some others I`ve seen have the rubber grip coming right out to the edge. Yours rubber grip appears to be glued to a recessed, milled out area with a raised metal lip around the edge, giving a more finished look. Will your boards fold up without hitting the engine case? Hey, the gremlin bell is fun too!

Your black clutch and brake levers suit the bike. I`ve never seen them before. Are they stock or aftermarket?

I like the looks of your windshield for summer riding. What is it? I have a big tombstone shaped shield which is good for cooler weather, but could stand a little more airflow on hot days.

I think the strips of white reflector tape you have covering the bottom half of the toolbox door work well with the red refector already there.

Do you ever forget the sidestand ground plate? I`ve thought if a guy had a nice one, he should have a colorful tether from it tied to the handlebars so he would be reminded to retrieve it when mounting up. I usually end up using a crushed pop can when I need one.

You might want to take a look at the clutch basket cover, and clean off that peeling plastic/clear coat. Just a little bodge on an otherwise great looking bike. I won`t tell anybody about it if you don`t. <G> If your bike is a reflection of your personality, I think you have a good family and lucky friends. Keep the rubber on the road.
OlHoss....

I'll try to answer all questions... thanks for the compliments and you should know that I teach machine shop and welding for a living (explains some of the mods :-))

1) they are LN bags, I like the side doors a lot. they came with the mutazu hardware.... I threw it away!. I made my own S.S. mounts and used vibration mounts similar to those used on vacum pumps to mount the bags. (they are called barrymounts)

2) I did remove the rear signals. I am going to try to get an inspection sticker this weekend. If I can't, I'll buy some small led rear stalk signals to use.

3) yes, I do use the helmet locks

4) I love the kury grips. I bought the brake pedal cover because I had trouble consistantly putting my foot all the way on the brake pedal. It is easier to find with the cover on.

5) I made the KM floorboards with a recess.... just liked the look of it

6) bought the black levers on ebay.... cheap, but I like the look

7) it is the factory kawasaki windscreen, keeps the wind off my chest

8) the reflective tape is actually black, it reflects white when light hits it. Kind of cool stuff.

9) I have forgotten the plate..... always at work(where it is in the photos).... and it's always there in the morning waiting for me.

one comment on the bags. they ar inexpensive and some of the quality shows that but they are still a good bang for the buck.

best, Stan

VROC #12293
2004 VN750
MSF Ridercoach

stator replaced 6/2008
cobra slashcuts 7/2007

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions Stan. Answer# 8 explains why the reflector tape doesn`t show up on picture #1. That had me a bit baffled until now.

Do you have any pics of the stainless steel bag mounts and barrymounts. I`m as interested in how and why things are done, as the finished product. Or maybe you noticed that already. <G>

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Late to the party

Nice. I've been thinking about hard bags. Did you machine out that kick-stand puck or is that a part off something? Nice and thin. I have a thicker plastic one that will probably crack some day under the weight stress.

'05 VN750 - "Cookie"
My Gallery

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Old Truck Junkie

They look good stan. They look like mine.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabarry View Post
Nice. I've been thinking about hard bags. Did you machine out that kick-stand puck or is that a part off something? Nice and thin. I have a thicker plastic one that will probably crack some day under the weight stress.
that is a 1/4" aluminum disc that I cut to the wrong size for a job in the shop. I like to think of it as recycling!

VROC #12293
2004 VN750
MSF Ridercoach

stator replaced 6/2008
cobra slashcuts 7/2007
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
They look good stan. They look like mine.
thanks............

VROC #12293
2004 VN750
MSF Ridercoach

stator replaced 6/2008
cobra slashcuts 7/2007
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
What great mods!!! Beautiful!!!

What is the purpose of the tank bib?

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 04-15-2009 at 04:17 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRector View Post
What great mods!!! Beautiful!!!

What is the purpose of the tank bib?
no purpose... I just like the look

VROC #12293
2004 VN750
MSF Ridercoach

stator replaced 6/2008
cobra slashcuts 7/2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement