VN750 General Discussion

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:52 PM
2005 VN 750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDiesel View Post
Yes. Removing the evap system, EGR and decel enrichment will keep the air/fuel ratio closer to ideal during operation and prevent unnecessary carbon deposit buildup.
Thank you for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Yes. Removing the evap system, EGR and decel enrichment will keep the air/fuel ratio closer to ideal during operation and prevent unnecessary carbon deposit buildup.
EVAP system does not substantially affect the fuel mixture, there is no EGR, and the decel enrichment system is built in to the carbs. The air injection system injects air into the exhaust stream, and as such does not affect fuel mixture. None of the emissions systems will have any effect on carbon deposits or the running of the engine.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
I have a 2005 and I do not have the additional CA emissions “crap”. The other stuff I left on there because I kinda like the popping on deceleration. I bought the bike in NJ, I have no idea where the PO was from. But point being is I think the CA emissions equipment is specific to CA only.
I bought my 2005 in PA 9 years ago and I am trying to figure out why I concluded back then that this was a CA model, and I'm not sure why at this point. It had that eyesore of a sticker on the tank rearward of the filler cap which said not to overfill it, and it has two rubber hoses that connect to the tank below the front of the seat. (Maybe the non-CA models also came with this in 2005?) I'd swear that I remember seeing a sticker hidden somewhere on the bike that shows a diagram of some sort of emission system. (Am I imagining this?) I keep my bikes in a storage unit out in the country where it is fun to ride. I am due to go fetch the battery to bring it home for a charge. I am going to see if I can find that sticker. By the way, I have never had any exhaust popping when decelerating with this bike, which has about 10k miles.
My bike does not have that charcoal canister that’s in your 1st post, if I’m not mistaken that’s part of the CA system and is the reason you can’t or shouldn’t fill up the gas tank. The popping on deceleration is from when the air is injected into the exhaust and helps ignite the unburnt fuel. When the bike is hot it’ll pop more for me especially if I’m in city traffic where I’ll be on the throttle and then release it more quickly. If I’m on the highway I do not hear it nearly as much as I tend to be smoother on the throttle.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 03:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I do not want any emissions crap on any of my vehicles, plain and simple. The key words there are "do not want" On the Vulcan 750 these systems can and do interfere with the proper operation of the bike. But I would have gotten rid of them even if that had not been the case. I do not believe the government has any business interfering with my vehicles, during design, manufacturing, or once I buy them. I simply undid what I feel should never have been done in the first place. On the Vulcan 750 it was cheap and mostly easy, though it took a while due to the sheer volume of what had to be removed. On a new bike, it gets very expensive. It has EFI and catalytic converters in the stock pipes. You have to replace the stock pipes, then buy a $500 electronic tuner to remap the ECU to make it run properly. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000. Plus if it is a new bike you probably void your engine warranty (you do with H-D) If I were planning to buy one of those bikes, I would figure that into the price. I have been fighting the EPA for more than 45 years, I'm certainly not going to stop now. EDIT: I just saw a thread where someone broke off a bolt in the head while trying to remove the reed valve cover. It really pisses me off that this bolt was only there because of the EPA.

The brake and throttle modifications on the other hand were made simply to improve function. I converted my front brake from an on/off switch to a perfectly functioning and easy to modulate brake, which has way more than enough power to lock the front wheel at will. I proved it to be safe during over 80,000 miles of use. Many larger and heavier bikes, especially cruisers, came with only one front disc, which worked fine. 2 smaller less powerful brakes should have worked fine, but why the added unnecessary complication? As for the throttle, all bikes used to come with a single throttle cable. It worked fine. Then someone decided to make it more complicated by adding another cable. That added twice as much cable and twice as much friction to the system with no improvement that I could see. Open your throttle all the way, then hold it open at the carbs, and try to close the twist grip. All the other cable does is bunch up at the carbs. I own a Honda Rebel 250 (I've had four) and over the years saw several posts about sticking throttles that turned out to be the "extra" cable binding in the housing. A sticking throttle on a motorcycle is not a good thing. So I removed that cable from my Rebel. I instantly noticed how much better the throttle felt, and how it snapped back so easily and quickly when released. I did the same thing to my Vulcan 750 with the same results. It became obvious that instead of making things safer, the extra cable actually made things more dangerous. That modification has also proven reliable and safe over a lot of years and miles. I also remove the "nanny" switches on the sidestand and clutch lever. Those are obviously not necessary. Lawyers are probably the reason they are there. Just learn to ride. If you are a beginner, do what I did. make a checklist and tape it to the tank. Read it every time you get on the bike. It will become permanently ingrained in your memory.

And no, the Vulcan 750 does not need all the parts it has. It does not need four camshafts, four cam chains, two jackshafts, eight valves, four spark plugs, or two carburetors. Other bikes run just fine with only half as many of all those parts. Some parts you can remove, some you can't. I just saw a post about someone putting a single carburetor on a Vulcan 750. I believe this would be an improvement if it were properly designed and manufactured. But it is too complicated to rig.

Many people run car tires on the back of a motorcycle. Common sense would seem to say that is unsafe. It seems obvious that a car tire has the wrong profile for a vehicle that leans over in turns. Yet extensive use over millions of miles without a single accident caused by doing it has proven it to be safe.

Many people tow trailers with motorcycles. Something I wouldn't even consider. It might work just cruising down the road, but would, at least in my opinion, turn into a disaster when you needed the handling and maneuverability of a motorcycle to get out of a sticky situation. I can't find any statistics about accidents that were caused by towing a trailer, or that may have been prevented by not towing a trailer, but I am convinced it is dangerous, and won't do it.

Does riding a bike with rear shocks that are two inches to short and that do not have the load capacity of the stock shocks make it unsafe?

Everybody has their opinions about what should or should not be done when it comes to motorcycles. And they are going to disagree. Having been an auto mechanic for 38 years I have a pretty good idea how things work (except for computers, but then that really has nothing to do with mechanics) I have built hot rods and race cars. I tend to think things through before I do them. And so far that has worked out good for me. Hopefully others will put some thought into their modifications beforehand, and not have to find out the hard way that it was not a good idea.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 03-07-2020 at 03:37 PM.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 08:29 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, isn't it there for a reason? I thought you have always said that engineers put things on a bike for a reason? But in areas you don't agree on, engineers don't know what they are talking about? Like dual front brakes...

Sent from my 100005206 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Yes, emissions. It has no other function.
Quote:
No, I don't have any idea who you are. Nor do I really care.... especially now.
You asked a question, I answered factually. There is no need to be rude.
You obviously didn't even read my post fully (you didn't even quote it fully) or ever read anything that has ever been posted on here then. There have been plenty of discussions on here with Jerry where in one thread he will say "don't mess with the bike. The engineers made it that way for a reason" and then turn it around when something is designed in a way he doesn't approve of. I thought in two years being on this forum you would have noticed...

Sent from my 100005206 using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 08:43 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
If you maintain your cables, they don't bind up... And I would love to see how removing a caliper makes it easier to moderate the brake lever. It should make it stiffer, if anything, because a master cylinder designed for a two caliper brake system has more psi than one designed for a single brake system. Tried it on my Cb 750 and also used a dual system master on my xs400(which has a single brake) and guess what? The brakes would lock up on about a 1/4" of pull... And most people pulling a trailer are smart enough to know that a motorcycle pulling a trailer does not handle like a motorcycle not pulling a trailer... And just because a bike is designed to carry less weight than another has nothing to do with the spring rates of a shock. An Evolution Sportster weighs about 550 lbs. An xs400 weighs about 370... Take the shocks off of the Sportster and put them on the Yamaha and you can bottom them easily by bouncing on the bike. But in theory, shouldn't the shocks from the heavier bike be harder to bottom out? Swingarm leverage...

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 03-11-2020 at 08:53 PM.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 10:42 AM
Diesel Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
there is no EGR
Incorrect. They are on the side of each cylinder head.

Quote:
the decel enrichment system is built in to the carbs
Blocked with a simple BB or piece of o-ring in the vent hole.

Quote:
The air injection system injects air into the exhaust stream, and as such does not affect fuel mixture.
Reed valves are the wrong direction for that.

1989 VN750
Highway blaster

2006 Honda Rebel Diesel
100mpg, low and slow

1982 Mercedes 300D
Modified engine, 4-speed manual
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 10:44 AM
Diesel Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
The popping on deceleration is from when the air is injected into the exhaust and helps ignite the unburnt fuel.
No. Popping is lean cylinder afterburn in the exhaust. If its happening on a stock bike your decel enrichment diaphragm(s) have failed.

1989 VN750
Highway blaster

2006 Honda Rebel Diesel
100mpg, low and slow

1982 Mercedes 300D
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 10:46 AM
Diesel Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
I do not believe the government has any business interfering with my vehicles, during design, manufacturing, or once I buy them.
Like it or not, they do and will have that "right". The clean air we have to breathe is why. Remember the last time LA had a smog day? No? Thank the EPA.

1989 VN750
Highway blaster

2006 Honda Rebel Diesel
100mpg, low and slow

1982 Mercedes 300D
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 10:49 AM
Diesel Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
There have been plenty of discussions on here with Jerry where in one thread he will say "don't mess with the bike. The engineers made it that way for a reason" and then turn it around when something is designed in a way he doesn't approve of. I thought in two years being on this forum you would have noticed...
No, I read it. I don't care about personal lives of people here to keep any track of non-bike related affairs. I have a life.

1989 VN750
Highway blaster

2006 Honda Rebel Diesel
100mpg, low and slow

1982 Mercedes 300D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement