The VN750 Touring Bike? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

The VN750 Touring Bike?

I just realized that while on a quest to make my bike as comfortable as possible, I'm kind of turning it into a touring bike. I have a windshield, highway pegs, a fork bag, saddle bags, a luggage rack, and I just bought a protac driver's back rest and a saddleman seat. Is there a certain set of things you need to do or have on your bike so that it officially qualifies as a touring bike? I assume if you can go cross country with relative comfort, your bike qualifies but didn't know if there official items to sort of check-off while turning your bike into a "touring bike"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Old Fart

Garage
"Touring bike" is a pretty open ended phrase. Every bike is basicly a "touring bike" if you use it to "just ride and look at the scenery".

Most factory bikes that have a "touring" version on an exsisting model (the Suzuki C90 comes to mind) just add a windscreen and perhaps some saddlebags.

The concept of just having some kind of luggage attached to the bike usualy does the trick, my FJR is more or less a sport bike, but they added hard side cases and call it a "Sport Touring" bike. (Actualy Yamaha calls it Super Sport Touring)

But then on the other hand I used to strap on a few bags to my TS 185 Suzuki and go prettty much everywhere on it. They call street/offroad capable bikes with luggage "Adventure bikes" now. (Go rent "Long Way Around")

I think most owners make the Vulcan into a "touring bike" one way or another , I added rider and passenger floorboards, extra lights, a large windscreen and highway pegs, to name a few, and would refer to the bike as a "touring" mount.
As I mentioned in the other thread, the bike is a good solo touring bike, but not a good one for two up riding.

I don't think there is any "official" description of what exactly makes a bike a "touring bike" but most would agree the bike should be comfortable, have some type of wind protection, and at least be able to carry some kind of luggage. So.........You can toss a set of nylon saddlebags on a Busa and call it a touring bike............

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

My best friend and riding buddy has an 1800 goldwing as his travel bike. But he also has a Ninja 250 that he put bags and luggage on, including I believe a tank bag and he uses it for weekend trips when he just wants to go a few hundred miles. I would think the hands would get pretty sore but he seems to like it just fine.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I think the list of additions you recited has the bases pretty well covered. As long as the cycle is reliable and comfortable for you, it can be your touring bike. Enjoy the summer riding LP.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:44 PM

If you really want to make it a "touring" bike, you might consider a larger gas tank! Or else you will look like this ===>

Jeff

2005 VN750 Silver/Black
Kurykyn ISO grips
Mutazu LN Hard bags with wired LED Brake Lights
Kawasaki Rear Luggage Rack
Memphis Shades 21' Gradient Black Windshield

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I think the list of additions you recited has the bases pretty well covered. As long as the cycle is reliable and comfortable for you, it can be your touring bike. Enjoy the summer riding LP.
Thanks Hoss, you too. Its supposed to be really nice here on Thursday - 65 and sunny. Even nicer on Friday - 73 and sunny! Looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWenhart View Post
If you really want to make it a "touring" bike, you might consider a larger gas tank! Or else you will look like this ===>
LOL!!! Yeah only without the smile!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
I just realized that while on a quest to make my bike as comfortable as possible, I'm kind of turning it into a touring bike. I have a windshield, highway pegs, a fork bag, saddle bags, a luggage rack, and I just bought a protac driver's back rest and a saddleman seat. Is there a certain set of things you need to do or have on your bike so that it officially qualifies as a touring bike? I assume if you can go cross country with relative comfort, your bike qualifies but didn't know if there official items to sort of check-off while turning your bike into a "touring bike"...
I don't know how the definition works but I've had mine back and forth from Boston MA to savannah GA three times.... I think that qualifies mine to tour?

VROC #12293
2004 VN750
MSF Ridercoach

new tires (OEM Stones) 6/2008
home made floorboards (knifemakers styling)
stator replaced 6/2008
cobra slashcuts 7/2007
clear alternatives brake & tailight 8/2008
Added Mutazu hard bags 3/2009
added customLED load equalizers for the bags LED lights 3/2009
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Should do the trick LP...But just getting the burn out of my seat would get mine close enough to a touring bike for me...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
"Touring bike" is a pretty open ended phrase. Every bike is basicly a "touring bike" if you use it to "just ride and look at the scenery"... You can toss a set of nylon saddlebags on a Busa and call it a touring bike............ KM
What Carolus Linnaeus was to biological classification, Knifemaker is to motorcycle classification!

I remember when a friend first saw my Vulcan outfitted with PF3 windshield and saddlebags. He said, with some disdain, "Your bike is a cruiser ~ it isn't supposed to be tricked out with those mods. You've made it look 'like' a tourer." (By the way, he rides a Vespa with gaudy decals plastered all over it...)

Some people enjoy "pure-bred" bikes like some enjoy "pure-bred" dogs. The pedigree is important. Me? I seem to be partial to mutts ~ whether they have four legs or two wheels! (Some thought I was nuts to replace the broken neck on my Martin HD-28 with a D-35 neck, making a hybrid out of it. But I liked the look, and for me it's a player's guitar, not a collector's item.)

My VN 750? It's a cruiser ~ I like to slowly wheel around town. It's a commuter ~ I use it for my 22-mile round-trip to work. It's a tourer ~ I've been on three 1000-mile trips. Whatever. All I know is this: I modify the bike to fit my practical needs/desires, and it delivers!

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 04-14-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement