serious starting problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

serious starting problem

I finally got my 1997 Vulcan 750 going, everything is pretty much done, including 4 new NGK spark plugs. It was running fine. I went for about a 60 mile ride, stopped at a fast food place, and when I started to leave, it would not start. It fired a couple of times, but that was it. I ran the new battery down. Finally a guy showed up with jumper cables, and I got it started after several minutes. I rode it back home, and it ran fine. I shut it down, and restarted it several times. Today I went to start it and ran into the same thing. It just would not start. I had jumper cables attached to it, so I had unlimited current. It just would not start. Plenty of spark, and the float bowls were full. I finally gave up. I only ran the starter for about 3 seconds at the time to avoid overheating it. Tried it with and without the choke. Nothing. I have had starting problems with Vulcan 750s before, and know it is a common problem. But I have never had one completely refuse to start after several minutes of firing. Cranking sounded normal. When it was running it idled fine and I hit 80 mph on the freeway with no problem. Very smooth, no misfiring. I have been starting and warming up the engine every couple of weeks since I bought it. It never refused to start. Any ideas?

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:46 AM
NewB to Vulcans

Does it backfire any?

'99 Vulcan "Victoria"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

It did backfire a couple of times the first time, when I was 60 miles from home. Now it doesn't do anything, other than crank over. It does have spark. The entire evap and PAIR systems have been removed, and everything capped and plugged. Carb pilot screws have been turned out about 2 1/2 turns.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 01:00 PM
NewB to Vulcans

I have a theory about the ignition system being extremely voltage dependent, when the voltage at the electronics box drops the timing goes off. There is a wiring mod that changes how the ignition gets powered that seems to help those folks with recurring issues. Check the volts at the ignition box and the coils, it may give us a clue.

'99 Vulcan "Victoria"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 01:49 PM

Location: Southern Maryland, Waldorf/LaPlata/Indian Head area

Do your bike a favor, do the coil relay mod. that way you know your coils are getting 12 volts right off the battery. May not be the problem but it's one more thing that will help the over all health of your bike and you can rule out low voltage to the coils. I keep telling everyone once I did the coil mod it was like an instant fix, but we all have to learn at our own pace. I can't guarantee it will fix it but I know it won't hurt.

1985 700 Vulcan / Purchased 13,636 miles currently 19,126/Fork Seals & Dust Covers/Ignition Switch/AGM Battery/Hell Fire Windshield/River Roads Saddle Bags/Coil Relay Mod/2Wire Mod/RLU Bypass/Head Light Switch/Voltage monitor Green light/Mosfit R&R/Tuxedo Mod/Stator/Point Gap .020/ Dampers/Rear Signal & Brake Light LED'S/Rebuilt Shutoff Valve/Final Drive Gear Oil/Brake Shoes/Spline & Hub Lube/11 inch Progressive Shocks/De Goated/Engine Guard/Rejetted For K/N Pods/TOC mcct's

Last edited by Sparkys73150; 12-24-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Problem solved, I think. I replaced the new battery with another new battery. Now it starts fine (for a Vulcan 750) I believe the other battery was shorted internally. I discovered that when I disconnected the bike battery, and connected a car battery to the bike battery cables, it started right up, but would not start with the bike battery in place. I know it is charging, I'm getting 14.6-7V at 3000 RPM, which drops to 11.97V at idle with the headlight on high beam. I went through a stator replacement on my '02, so I know what to look for. I got the battery from Batteries Plus, and they exchanged it for free, even though they couldn't find anything wrong. Could have been intermittent. Electricity can do some strange things. I rode it almost 100 miles this morning, parked it in the garage, just went out and tried it, it started right up completely cold.

EDIT: I went out to the garage this morning when it was 37 degrees, the bike was completely cold, and it started right up. I will still consider doing that modification. I'm also going to get one of those little tiny jumpstart packs, and carry it with me on all my bikes when I ride them. I also keep all 6 of my bikes on battery maintainers. I switched from the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. to this one. https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...earchText=dl2d After several years the Battery Tenders started failing, and the new ones are junk. The ones from Autozone put out 2 amps into a dead battery, then taper off, so they can be used as both a charger and maintainer.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 12-28-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement