serious starting problem - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 07:03 AM

Well I finally got my Deka AGM battery Tuesday, Spockster. I tested it out of the box, and it showed 12.7V. I installed into bike, and hooked up my battery tender for 24 hours. Once unhooked, battery showed 13.3V. I turned the key on, and it did seem to start much better. That is especially true once the 2nd cylinder got fuel and helped balance the engine load, LOL. I let it idle for about 10 minutes. If it weren't so cold and rainy lately here I'd take her for a ride to see if performance is improved. One thing I have always noticed, which I think is normal, is at idle, when out of direct sunlight(Garage) I can see the green Neutral light oh so very lightly flickering. If I touch the throttle at all, and raise RPM's, it stops and stays solid. I believe it is a normal thing, and am not worried, as it will get better voltage driving than idling. Just thought it worth a mention. Cant wait to try it out on the road. Especially being stuck in the house so much during this quarantine crap. At least I have little things to tinker with that don't stop me from riding when opportunity comes. I have brake pads on the way for the front and rear. The front are low, but I have a few mm's left so I haven't run them too far. I'll change the rear when I get some sort of sign it's time, since 70+ percent of the braking is from the front. On another note I have to say this is a really great forum. The only way I could see it being better, was if it was a group of people hanging in a garage, with a keg in the corner, lol. That way, we could all meet, discuss, and even show one another what key things are, and how it all works, etc. Some brilliant advice here, and some of it I cant even wrap my head around just yet. I always have been mechanical. Electrical, I can deal with, but schematics get a bit complicated for me, unless I am just tracing a colored wire, etc. In real life, I have 32 years of producing acrylic sheet, aka Plexiglass. I am sure you have been seeing a lot of that lately! So, when it comes to plastic, I know most all, electrics, not so much, but always willing to try, but don't want to have to deal with this stator issue! Cheers to you, and the rest of this great forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 07:33 AM

Yep, the AGM is a marvel of modern battery science.

Are you sure that's not the headlight warning light you're seeing? Think it's white though, but it sometimes does glow very dim. Otherwise maybe the neutral switch has gotten sticky or the green wire on it may be grounding slightly.

It's always a thing, when this bike sits a week or so, getting fuel into the one carb. A theory of mine is the angle of the carb, and sitting on the sidestand, gas evaporates out of it quicker. The carbs have the shared float chamber, then the chambers where the jets are, so I think maybe the rear cyl, carb dries out quicker.

Aren't you out of toilet paper and beer? You should ride on down to the local Piggly Wiggly and re-supply. Plenty of bikes out down here, rain for the next five days now.

Have had a real hankering for some draft beer lately, I need to go find a mini keg.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Yep, the AGM is a marvel of modern battery science.

Are you sure that's not the headlight warning light you're seeing? Think it's white though, but it sometimes does glow very dim. Otherwise maybe the neutral switch has gotten sticky or the green wire on it may be grounding slightly.

It's always a thing, when this bike sits a week or so, getting fuel into the one carb. A theory of mine is the angle of the carb, and sitting on the sidestand, gas evaporates out of it quicker. The carbs have the shared float chamber, then the chambers where the jets are, so I think maybe the rear cyl, carb dries out quicker.

Aren't you out of toilet paper and beer? You should ride on down to the local Piggly Wiggly and re-supply. Plenty of bikes out down here, rain for the next five days now.

Have had a real hankering for some draft beer lately, I need to go find a mini keg.

HAHA - Plenty of toilet paper and beer! Tired of not being with buddies when drinking though. I seem to make no sense talking to myself after 6 or so beers, lol. I am sure it's the green neutral light. It's something only I would notice, I don't think it's an issue at all, it is SO slight. I agree on the carb issue. My old VN750 ran exactly the same way. You can hear a slight piston knock from rear cylinder, but only for a very short time. Once the fuel gets in there, the spark ignition is putting a lot more pressure on top of the piston to drive it back down. Not very loud at all, some people wouldn't even hear it, but I listen to my motor, lol. I tend to run a little seafoam in the tank throughout the summer, and always store it in winter with a heavy dose. The last thing I really want to waste time doing is removing and cleaning carbs. I'd rather do something more fun with it. However, we have had lower than normal temps for this time of year, and a lot of freakin rain. Enough to drive a person crazy. Grateful I have several cords of dry pine wood down back, a big ass bonfire pit, and a store with a beer cave 1 mile away. Beer and fire make me forget any worries at all, especially with good old Johnny Cash cranking from the truck. With enough beer, I can say I think I sing right on the note, lmao!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 09:06 AM

The light might clear up after a decent ride.

I always use seafoam at least once per season and in winter. I just measure it according to the directions. Actually cleaned out a pilot jet while riding by having seafoam in it for storage. Lots of slowing down and taking off, using the choke, about 25 miles and it was cleaned out.

Mild winter down here, almost no snow at all and not much colder than teens for one night at a time. Plenty of 40°-60° nights/days.

Bread, that's it, bread, you need to ride to the store for bread, or just some Goody's powder.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
The light might clear up after a decent ride.

I always use seafoam at least once per season and in winter. I just measure it according to the directions. Actually cleaned out a pilot jet while riding by having seafoam in it for storage. Lots of slowing down and taking off, using the choke, about 25 miles and it was cleaned out.

Mild winter down here, almost no snow at all and not much colder than teens for one night at a time. Plenty of 40°-60° nights/days.

Bread, that's it, bread, you need to ride to the store for bread, or just some Goody's powder.
Hey Spockster - Finally took it for a ride today. Went and got oil, filter, and filled tank with fresh gas. It did go good, but had an occasional burp in cylinder that can be felt more than heard. Got oil, crossed street to fill almost empty tank, and it didn't do it at all on way home. Minor for now. Anyway, changed oil & filter and started it. I noticed very light flickering of headlight and front blinker marker lights. Same as neutral light. Any throttle at all, and all is fine and bright. Just wondering if it just might be normal. Posted a short video on YouTube if your able to view from here.. Mike

Updated thought - I have read the idle should be set at 1,000-1,100 rpm when warm. I am sure my idle is below this, I am thinking 800-900 rpm. When I have it out next(Hoping Saturday) I will adjust idle up a few hundred RPM's. That's all it takes to stop the flickering anyway. It MAY just be too low on idle. Open to any thoughts, but makes sense.

Last edited by 1RadCJ5; 04-30-2020 at 12:47 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 06:37 PM
Grumpy Old Man

[QUOTE=Spockster;1285191]The hot start backfire is a sure sign of low cranking voltage on this bike. Do the AGM first.

That is so true. Took my first ride of the spring, thought I had enough battery charge. Started fine before I left home, stop at gas station … and sure enough a few backfires, but no start. Called the wife to bring my jump box, hooked it up and immediately stated. They do need a better charge to start hot than they do cold.

Grumpy “Old” Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement