Another biker passed me...... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Another biker passed me......

on my right side. We were going through a small town which had a turning lane and there was a biker in front of me and then one behind me. I didnt know either one, but the guy behind me gets really close to me then scoots on by on my right side. Was he just trying to get around me becuase i was going slower then him? or was he trying to initiate something? Im fairly new to the bike world and didnt know if this was something bikers do or if i should take it as a insult (which i didnt, i just want expecting that).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Old Truck Junkie

No insult intended. I would not do that myself. I might pass on the left same lane some one that I am riding with. One has to be sure that the other rider is aware that they are being passed up close. But no I would not take it as an insult. And also it is not commonly done.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 AM

Garage
There was a post a while back about motorcycle laws for each state, for instance in PA you are allowed to ride side by side in the same lane. I guess it's possible he just wanted to get around you and didn't see the need to go into the passing lane.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Cool thanks, yea thats pretty risky to pass on the right side because if i had not of looked i wouldnt have seen him.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 AM

yeah that guy may not have meant anything by that but he just made us al looke like law breaking a-holes...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
There was a post a while back about motorcycle laws for each state, for instance in PA you are allowed to ride side by side in the same lane.
But it also states you are supposed to only pass on the left.

Whether this would apply to bikes in the same lane, I don't know. But, IMO, common courtesy is to usually pass on the left, not right.
If I'd have thought he was wanting to pass, I would've moved to the right side of the lane and motioned him to pass, so he knew I was expecting it.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:29 PM

But it sounds like this guy just rushed and didn't even give him the opportunity to move to the right so he could pass on the left properly.

Unless you are with people you know, or are part of group. you wouldn't pass people on the right unless they are okay with it. and even then you make sure they know whats going on.

It sounds to me like this guy is a jerk or a total squib and doesn't understand anything. and the sad thing is about this, is that this guy gets to drive a car. thats kinda freaky. Cuz to me if you are a good biker, you will generally be a good driver all around.

Sold 750 (9-09)
Bought '07 900 Classic "LT" (6-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
Adjusted Mix Screws (4-09)
Drilled Baffles 8 holes (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Metzelers ME880 170/80 in back 100/90 in front (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Kuri Longhorn pegs (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Highway bar/ engine guard(FS)
Some saddlebags no idea which ones
Facebook group Vulcan 750 Riders (Invite Only Group)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

It sounds like laziness, bad manners and poor judgment to me. It seems to me that he could have flashed his hi-beam and/or sounded his horn to signal his intention to pass. (I know the odds of a rider in front hearing a stock OEM horn is slight, hence flashing the light.) However if there was a passing lane open and clear for him to use, it is unlikely that he would think to give warning of a pass on the right.

I`m glad you were not startled to the point of losing control of your own bike. Whether we are on the road or on the web, we need to develop a "thick skin" to avoid taking offence at any little thing done or said. By the same token we also need to think twice about doing or saying anything that others may take offence to. This is especially true while on the road, with so many instances of road rage being reported in the media. I just read yesterday that medical officals estimate that 1 in 10 people suffer from some sort of mental issue. So keep calm and stay aware while riding out there. The life you save may be your own.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
But it also states you are supposed to only pass on the left. Whether this would apply to bikes in the same lane, I don't know. But, IMO, common courtesy is to usually pass on the left, not right.
If I'd have thought he was wanting to pass, I would've moved to the right side of the lane and motioned him to pass, so he knew I was expecting it.
Thats what I do also, as I always ride the rear or our group... One other thing, I don't hear hardly at all out of my left ear (no stereo) and had I have heard him I would have probably veered right not knowing he was on my right...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:48 AM

It just seems so to me that passing on the right is a bad idea in general, given that people don't expect to be passed on the right, can be surprised when someone does it, and react in all manner of unexpected ways. Also one of the hazards of lane splitting, I guess.

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement