Newbie w/question ('99 Vulcan) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Newbie w/question ('99 Vulcan)

Hey Guys,

Newbie with first post here...

I recently passed the Rider Safety Course and got my motorcycle license. I'm now looking into getting a '99 Vulcan Classic (750cc) as my first bike. It has just about 10,000 miles on it, with a few mods. The owner's asking $3,400.

Some people say that the bike may be too big (considering that I learned on a 125cc), while others say that I'll grow right into it with the proper training. I'm 5'10', 178 lbs.

A guy on another forum was nice enough to tell me that before he got his Suzuki M50, he was looking into a VN 750 but changed his mind because of the "notorious problems with their battery and voltage regulator...VR in a bad spot which causes overheating..." If any of you can clear this up for my specific model, I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, I look forward to any comments you may have.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:00 PM

Thumbs up Re: Newbie w/question ('99 Vulcan)

Stradivarius,

I purchased my '94 vn750 in November, so I can't offer much in terms of technical experience. However, I can tell you from someone who hasn't ridden a motorcycle since his YZ-50 days (about 20yrs ago), with exception to the rare ride on my Dad's Triumph Bonneville, the vn750 is a VERY comfortable bike.

I'm roughly your size and feel that I have good control and balance at slow speeds and while stopped. I have yet to take the course, get an endorsement or even get insurance yet since I only ride on rare occassion (it's either really cold, really snowy or really wet in Michigan this time of year), but I'll have plenty of practice when the time comes.

If you're comfortable on a 125cc, you should be fine on the 750. I'll leave it to the others to tell you about the electrical system.

Take care,
Scott
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:22 PM

Re: Newbie w/question ('99 Vulcan)

I to own a 99 purchased last Sep. and paid 3K even for it with saddle bags Cobra exhaust, sissy bar and 7K mi. Depending on the extras 3400 isn't to bad but I don't know what bikes are worth in NJ. You will find many tips and ideas here for extending the life of your electrical system, while they have they're drawbacks they are pretty reliable bikes, many people get over 50K miles with very few repairs. Others will be along to give you the skinny on things.

Happy trails and good luck.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Fellas.

I looked at the bike and took it out for a test ride. It was excellent. He agreed to $3,200, and delivered it to me at 5PM today. All in all, I'm pretty happy. I'm sure I could have done a few hundred dollars better somehow but it just wasn't worth looking into other bikes, especially because I had already seen four others.

A friend works at a bike shop and gave me a great deal on a Shoei RF 900 helmet...for $100. New in box.

The bike's insured for $151 (liability only) and all I need is to get it registered tomorrow morning.

I think I'm off to a good start.

The plates on the pic were taken off:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 09:35 AM

Congrats on your new ride.

I live in central NJ. I also just got my license this summer. The VN750 is my first bike and have found it quite comfortable. The first couple times right after taking the class the bike did feel large...but that feeling quickly went away. Just take your time with it, and practice practice practice everything you learned in class. Stay on roads with little traffic to start & do the simple stuff you learned in class first until you get used to the weight of the bike.

I looked for awhile before finding a bike in NY. I picked up a 2002 with 5000 miles on it for $3800. The bike was better than new because alot was done (windshield, driving lights added, MF battery just installed, upgraded brakes, AND the prior (and only) owner already relocated the R/R and just completed lubing the splines (with pics to show me his job!). I was all set!

I am no wrench (but slowly getting to be one), but it appears that the relocating of the r/r doesn't appear to be a very hard job. Especially with the support you have here and at the Yahoo VN750 group.

Best of luck...
Dom
From the looks of the job,
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Dan

I have had lots of motorcycles and my VN750 is about as comfortable on the freeway as any bike I've riden. So far the bike has been trouble free.

My mechanic says this whole deal about moving the R/R is a myth and to forget about it. Take that for what it's worth. He says the Kawasaki electrical system takes a back seat to nobody.
Dan - Seattle
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:45 AM

The Vulcan 750, great as it is, does have some weaknesses. My wife and I have a pair - a '95 and an '05... and of course I don't mind working on them. As far as electrical goes, you'll probably want to modify two things from stock... relocate the regulator to above the left passenger footpeg (stock wiring reaches) and get a good sealed battery. Those alone could save you the trouble of a burned stator and/or problems with hot starts in the summer. The ignition/regulator system don't seem to like low voltage conditions, and the stator doesn't put out really usable amperage until >2000 rpm. Dan's mechanic wouldn't call it a myth if left stranded by this weakness

Some do occasionally have trouble with the ACCTs (auto cam chain tensioners). I had to rework one on the '05 - was easy to do, except it takes 3 hands to do right Gypsy's site also has good instructions for the majority of little problems that you hopefully won't encounter. This forum is an incredible help.

Congrats!
PS: looking at the pics on your post, it doesn't look like a vn750 ?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Search Goddess

You're right.. with the spoked wheels and tank instrument panel.. looks more like a VN800. If it is.. you don't have shaft drive and the Regulator/Rectifier is already moved out.
Sorry.. don't know much about the 800

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Dan

>>>>Dan's mechanic wouldn't call it a myth if left stranded by this weakness<<<<

Ha-Ha----I'm sure you're correct there!! He is a long-time Kaw mechanic but I quess I don't know what to believe. By the way, I leave a "Battery Tender" charger on my bike at all times (when I'm not riding it). I think this might take some strain off the alternator.

Dan-Seattle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement