At withs end with this bike - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Can't rule out the cdi yet. Not sure what tests there are for it, check the manual.

You have decent spark, but is it at the correct time.

Something about the start button, it means something, but on this system I'm not sure what. That symptom has been mentioned here before, but I'm not sure if anyone ever posted their fix. Never hurts to try the forum search.

Sometimes on old points ign systems, running only in the start position, meant a defective ballast resistor. But the ballast resistor on those old systems was there to keep the points from getting more than 9v, to reduce burning of the contacts. Could be something similar happening in the CDI, because there is that white/red wire between the start button and the CDI. The ignition timing could be going numb when you release the start button.
i will definatly check out the start button. Im sure i seen a few posts on that somewhere here. I tried it again today. Fully charged the battery, cleand the plugs, and drained the carbs. Got some backfire again. Then after several tries she finaly fired up. However it would not fire with the choke on. I had to keep twisting the trottle to keep her alive. As soon as i stopped reving it cut out. I played around with the mixture screw which led to it firing in the first place then when i played with mixture screw again it would not fire. Im thinking now more on a fuel issue than mechanical. It started and thats a huge step in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will750 View Post
i will definatly check out the start button. Im sure i seen a few posts on that somewhere here. I tried it again today. Fully charged the battery, cleand the plugs, and drained the carbs. Got some backfire again. Then after several tries she finaly fired up. However it would not fire with the choke on. I had to keep twisting the trottle to keep her alive. As soon as i stopped reving it cut out. I played around with the mixture screw which led to it firing in the first place then when i played with mixture screw again it would not fire. Im thinking now more on a fuel issue than mechanical. It started and thats a huge step in the right direction.
Did you notice any smoke at all, or a gassy smell once it fired up?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Did you notice any smoke at all, or a gassy smell once it fired up?
yes and yes. It smoked like crazy at first. But then it calmed down. Does this mean trouble?

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
yes and yes. It smoked like crazy at first. But then it calmed down. Does this mean trouble?
I suspect it could be flooding, too rich on gas, but I'm not there to see and hear.

When one is flooding, it might start only with a lot of throttle, will run ragged at first then smooth out if it's able to clear the excess gas. Meanwhile, you should see some black smoke. The exception of this engine is that it can flood bad enough to make white gas vapor, which is rare on gasoline engines.

Flooding would make it impossible to run with the choke on. If it continues flooding, it will die when you let off the throttle, because there's less air for the extra fuel.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
I suspect it could be flooding, too rich on gas, but I'm not there to see and hear.

When one is flooding, it might start only with a lot of throttle, will run ragged at first then smooth out if it's able to clear the excess gas. Meanwhile, you should see some black smoke. The exception of this engine is that it can flood bad enough to make white gas vapor, which is rare on gasoline engines.

Flooding would make it impossible to run with the choke on. If it continues flooding, it will die when you let off the throttle, because there's less air for the extra fuel.
ok makes sense. I have ordered a carb rebuilt kit. So it should clear up the flooding issue. These carbs are old and even tho there clean i still might have missed some gunk. Should i stay with standared jets seen as i have done the ear shave. Also still has stock exhausts
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
ok makes sense. I have ordered a carb rebuilt kit. So it should clear up the flooding issue. These carbs are old and even tho there clean i still might have missed some gunk. Should i stay with standared jets seen as i have done the ear shave. Also still has stock exhausts
Stick with the stock jets until you get it running and can read the plugs.

Mine runs fine on the stock jets, shaved with stock exhaust.

2003-21k mi

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Stick with the stock jets until you get it running and can read the plugs.

Mine runs fine on the stock jets, shaved with stock exhaust.
ok thank you. Spockster your help and advice has been outstanding. I want to thank you for all your help this far. You have replyed to every query i have had and that means a lot. So thank yo so much.
Thorn and roadpouring like this.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
ok thank you. Spockster your help and advice has been outstanding. I want to thank you for all your help this far. You have replyed to every query i have had and that means a lot. So thank yo so much.
You're welcome, and your reply is appreciated. Keep at it, you'll get it going.
ubertalldude likes this.

2003-21k mi

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:33 PM

I've found that soaking in white vinegar does wonders for jets.

I left a couple of wrenches soaking two weeks, forgot about them. The rust was gone, but so was the chrome.
roadpouring likes this.

2003-21k mi

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've found that soaking in white vinegar does wonders for jets.

I left a couple of wrenches soaking two weeks, forgot about them. The rust was gone, but so was the chrome. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif[/IMG]
lol sounds about right. Done the same thing myself 😂. Right the only thing i can think of that i didnt clean was the jet on the bottom right in the picture. I was unable to get it out. Which jet is this and is it suppose to come out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01_Carb_bowl_1570193473344.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	46663  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement