Dumped the bike tonight - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Dumped the bike tonight

How’s it going everyone, beautiful day today because summer is refusing to go away, got out for a nice 3 hour ride. Crossed 2 bridges, hit 5 major freeways and then on the last few blocks heading home I hit a pothole at maybe 15mph and the and the bike launched me high side.
Broke my windshield, right side mirror, the mount for that mirror on the master cylinder, and banged up my new crash bar n peg. Oh and one clean shaven forearm! I popped up off the ground like a 15yr old , but I’m sure I’ll b aching tomorrow. The bike on the other hand started right back up, I’m thankful for that and that I’m not banged up too bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6AB939E-6DD3-4137-91B2-1BBC7A695D6E_1569713279668.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	46645   Click image for larger version

Name:	7EB7DA96-9BA8-4E4C-BFBD-5276629D9206_1569713298522.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	46647   Click image for larger version

Name:	EF901658-CA08-4CCB-9DE7-68CA64E5AD5C_1569713329635.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	46649  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

OH! I'm so sorry!
Glad you're not too banged up.
And... sorry about the bike, bars and so forth.

Wow... a regular launching pad!

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man,
You’re right the way the front bounced swerved me to he right and in trying to correct I put on a little too much front brake and that was that. Thankfully I learned to fall and tumble at a young age skateboarding and bmx biking. It came in handy tonight lol
She’s docked until I can get the mirror fixed

I’m getting sore as the night goes on, but still feeling like I got off easy. Lesson learned
roadpouring likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 03:00 AM

Garage
Ouch. Glad you walked away relatively unscathed.
PA only requires one mirror, btw.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 08:02 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

First and foremost, I'm glad you are for the most part OK. BLAST, those potholes!

Now that being said......

Dude! No way! Not the engine guard! BLAST!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Ouch. Glad you walked away relatively unscathed.
PA only requires one mirror, btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
First and foremost, I'm glad you are for the most part OK. BLAST, those potholes!

Now that being said......

Dude! No way! Not the engine guard! BLAST! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/VN750_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/doh.gif[/IMG]
Thanks for the good words,

Good to know about the PA law, but with the way the A-holes drive around here I’ll take all the help I can get.

And bless the engine guard lol, if it wasn’t there my exhaust and brake pedal probably would’ve been smashed.

Here’s are matching road rashes, I think the bar is in better shape lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBAB9AE1-A953-4BE2-908B-991DC0416C61_1569762318444.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	46651   Click image for larger version

Name:	8B33DC80-547F-43A0-B787-00C6913C80C2_1569762348145.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	46653  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 10:18 AM

Ouch! Luckily it was low-speed, but still...

From time to time around here people get compensated for vehicle damage caused by potholes. Just putting that out there.

If you don't want to replace the whole master cyl., I used to see separate mirror mounts on ebay. Just need to check the placement to see if one would work, I needed it on the left side.

Might be able to carefully fine sand, then polish, the rash on the bar to make it less noticeable, or just wear it with pride

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Ouch! Luckily it was low-speed, but still...

From time to time around here people get compensated for vehicle damage caused by potholes. Just putting that out there.

If you don't want to replace the whole master cyl., I used to see separate mirror mounts on ebay. Just need to check the placement to see if one would work, I needed it on the left side.

Might be able to carefully fine sand, then polish, the rash on the bar to make it less noticeable, or just wear it with pride [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif[/IMG]
I’m curious if I have a leg to stand on, Philly is known for having a major pothole issue. There’s a hotline set up for it so I’ll look into that. That’s why I took pics once I dusted myself off.
As far as the dings on the bike, as long as there’s no functional problems, I consider them “tattoos” and I’ll wear them. Maybe not with so much pride, but more of a way to remember my stupid less than stellar moments lol. I found the parts I need to replace already. I paid up a little for the mirror and the mount, but got a great deal on a new windshield to offset the total cost so I’m content.
Spockster likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 02:33 PM

Damn, sorry to hear that, but glad you're alright and bike damage is minimal. I definitely don't miss those Philly potholes...! Be safe on those jacked up roads up there!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Thankfully I’m not as banged up as I expected to be, but still sore in a few spots. Had a chance to fully go over the bike today , the brand new peg clamp was actually cracked so I had to remove that. The break pedal was slightly bent, my new rear turn signal is scuffed hard, along with the side of my top box. On top of that I think my handle bar is slightly bent. I took it for a short ride and it felt fine so I can’t tell for sure just by eye, but my hip is sore and I didn’t want to go too far, I did miss the mirror and the windshield though lol. Well, replacements have been ordered and are on their way. I’ll heal up in the mean time.
Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement