Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Dumped the bike tonight

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Chris and Shim 
#1 · (Edited)
How’s it going everyone, beautiful day today because summer is refusing to go away, got out for a nice 3 hour ride. Crossed 2 bridges, hit 5 major freeways and then on the last few blocks heading home I hit a pothole at maybe 15mph and the and the bike launched me high side.
Broke my windshield, right side mirror, the mount for that mirror on the master cylinder, and banged up my new crash bar n peg. Oh and one clean shaven forearm! I popped up off the ground like a 15yr old , but I’m sure I’ll b aching tomorrow. The bike on the other hand started right back up, I’m thankful for that and that I’m not banged up too bad.

#3 ·
Thanks man,
You’re right the way the front bounced swerved me to he right and in trying to correct I put on a little too much front brake and that was that. Thankfully I learned to fall and tumble at a young age skateboarding and bmx biking. It came in handy tonight lol
She’s docked until I can get the mirror fixed

I’m getting sore as the night goes on, but still feeling like I got off easy. Lesson learned

#6 · (Edited)
First and foremost, I'm glad you are for the most part OK. BLAST, those potholes!

Now that being said......

Dude! No way! Not the engine guard! BLAST! /forum/images/VN750_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png/forum/images/smilies/doh.gif
Thanks for the good words,

Good to know about the PA law, but with the way the A-holes drive around here I’ll take all the help I can get.

And bless the engine guard lol, if it wasn’t there my exhaust and brake pedal probably would’ve been smashed.

Here’s are matching road rashes, I think the bar is in better shape lol

#7 ·
Ouch! Luckily it was low-speed, but still...

From time to time around here people get compensated for vehicle damage caused by potholes. Just putting that out there.

If you don't want to replace the whole master cyl., I used to see separate mirror mounts on ebay. Just need to check the placement to see if one would work, I needed it on the left side.

Might be able to carefully fine sand, then polish, the rash on the bar to make it less noticeable, or just wear it with pride ;)

#8 ·
Ouch! Luckily it was low-speed, but still...

From time to time around here people get compensated for vehicle damage caused by potholes. Just putting that out there.

If you don't want to replace the whole master cyl., I used to see separate mirror mounts on ebay. Just need to check the placement to see if one would work, I needed it on the left side.

Might be able to carefully fine sand, then polish, the rash on the bar to make it less noticeable, or just wear it with pride /forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif
I’m curious if I have a leg to stand on, Philly is known for having a major pothole issue. There’s a hotline set up for it so I’ll look into that. That’s why I took pics once I dusted myself off.
As far as the dings on the bike, as long as there’s no functional problems, I consider them “tattoos” and I’ll wear them. Maybe not with so much pride, but more of a way to remember my stupid less than stellar moments lol. I found the parts I need to replace already. I paid up a little for the mirror and the mount, but got a great deal on a new windshield to offset the total cost so I’m content.

#10 ·
Thankfully I’m not as banged up as I expected to be, but still sore in a few spots. Had a chance to fully go over the bike today , the brand new peg clamp was actually cracked so I had to remove that. The break pedal was slightly bent, my new rear turn signal is scuffed hard, along with the side of my top box. On top of that I think my handle bar is slightly bent. I took it for a short ride and it felt fine so I can’t tell for sure just by eye, but my hip is sore and I didn’t want to go too far, I did miss the mirror and the windshield though lol. Well, replacements have been ordered and are on their way. I’ll heal up in the mean time.
Thanks all

#11 ·
Glad to hear that you're not too banged up. The only time I've dropped mine was up in University City near UPenn. I had my wife on the back and I pulled out across the train tracks and cobble stones and down we went. Tire got stuck in the tracks. No one was hurt but we were both pretty rattled. Philly needs to work on those streets.

#12 ·
Thanks man,
It’s a constant thing here, they re-paved a large portion of the streets going south from center city but sink holes just keep forming. I guess I zigged when I should’ve zagged lol. Everything on the bike is all back together now so let’s see how long the season lasts.

#13 ·
I was embarrassed when I did it but..... that's life with motorcycles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.