Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Help shes refusing to start

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  DACataldo 
#1 ·
Hello guys and gals. Im will from the wet misserable windy island of ireland. Iv Been riding for years but this bike is braking my heart. I have finaly took the plunge and registered on this fourm as i have been a ghost it the back ground for some time now. So please this is my first post so go easy on me.😁.
Right first off i need some help from all ye wonderful people. I got this 1986 vn750 as a project with a blown crankcase. This has been replaced along with clutch plates, gear dampers an the likes. Valves have been reseated, timing is spot on. All marks line up correctly. Ear shave completed on the bike as she was a us import. Carbs cleaned and recieving fuel. The problem im having is when i try to start it. She turns over and over but wont catch. Carbs give a bit of a blow but thats as far as she will go. The concern i have is that when i am turning it over the starter motor stops all of a sudden and theres a clunk when it stops. As if it locks up and stops dead. When i try again it does the same thing. Turns over for a bit and then stops with the clunk. Is this the sign of a bad starter motor and is that why it wont start. Any help very much appreciated.

#3 ·
Welcome aboard!
I've spent a lot of time holding in the start button, and I've never had it 'clunk'. or do anything that I'd describe as a sudden stop. I don't think the starter motor is to blame. Sounds more likely that a valve is interfering with a piston or something. Are you able to turn the crankshaft manually without interference?

#4 ·
Hi and thanks for the welcome. Sorry for the late reply im still trying to figure out how to work the site. Yes i can turn the crank shaft manualy no problem at all. Im currently as i type this, cleaning the carbs again. So i think the best thing i can do is post a video so you know what i mean. Sorry for the noob stuff but as soon as i have the carbs done i will start it and show you. As for the electrics. From what i can tell everything seems to check out. All lights work where there suppose to all earths have been checked and rechecked. I am at withs end at this point.

#9 ·
the plugs were wet but not drenched. All cams and chains set according to the haynes bible. Its like as if it stops drawing power and just stops dead. Then when i hit the start button again she cranks few a few seconds and stops again. I will be installing the carbs again today after cleaning for the second time. Battery is fully charged also. Could an intermittened starter relay cause this ? I will post a video as soon as i try it

#16 ·
Those starter noises sound pretty weak. Have you tried jumping it from a larger vehicle's battery? (don't turn on the other vehicle if you do)

#22 ·
LOL yep I've awaken the entire neighborhood on more than one occasion! Weak battery......

#18 ·
It sounds ok, but a bit weak rolling over.

Like he said, jump it off a car (not running), just make sure you're getting a good connection. A running car alternator could possibly fry the R/R, but you can hook a 1000 amp bulldozer battery to it and it won't hurt a thing.

It didn't fire once.

Plugs wet or dry after that?

Also as said, backfire is usually a sign of low voltage on this bike. Don't recall any other machine being like that, but this one is for sure.

#19 ·
it never backfired. Im second guessing myself now as in the timing. I think i might be 180 out which would make the starter be under a lot of strain. I thing instead of going the 305 degrees like the manual said i just rolled back to the marks on the rear cylinder. Big mistake. I dont no why i didnt think of this earlier. Is there an easy way to re ajust the cams on the rear cylinder while the engine is on the bike. I have a bit of space as the bike had the ear shave done so theres no crap in the way..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.