Help shes refusing to start - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will750 View Post
the plugs were wet but not drenched. All cams and chains set according to the haynes bible. Its like as if it stops drawing power and just stops dead. Then when i hit the start button again she cranks few a few seconds and stops again. I will be installing the carbs again today after cleaning for the second time. Battery is fully charged also. Could an intermittened starter relay cause this ? I will post a video as soon as i try it
Wet plugs can point to a flooding carb with a sticking float. If it was the front cylinder, could also be leaking gas though the petcock vacuum line. So check that hose, it should be dry at all times. Gas can leak through there constantly, even on the 'off' setting, this fills the cylinder and crankcase with gas.

Could be a dead spot in the starter armature, but, do you notice the any of the lights brightening as if the current draw dropped? Same applies to bad starter relay. If the light stay slightly dimmer, the starter is still trying.

You can test for a bad starter relay, jump across the two largest terminals, see if the starter cranks normally.

There's another starter relay inside the junction box, those do fail occasionally.

If you keep hitting dead-ends, the battery should be load tested, regardless of age. Is this a wet cell or AGM type?

About the cams - I mean could the cams have been swapped front to rear? The marks can be set, but if the rear cam is in the front, it would never work.
cams are in the correct places as the rear cams have a grove in them so i no they are fine. I just have the carbs done so i will put them in now and check for all the things you just said. Its a yuasa wet cell battery. Brand new only used to try and start the bike which dies very fast upon trying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
cams are in the correct places as the rear cams have a grove in them so i no they are fine. I just have the carbs done so i will put them in now and check for all the things you just said. Its a yuasa wet cell battery. Brand new only used to try and start the bike which dies very fast upon trying.
If all else fails ... A video of it cranking? Voltage reading before/during cranking?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
If all else fails ... A video of it cranking? Voltage reading before/during cranking?
ok just tried it and its the same story. Here is a video of what im on about.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Ok it wont let me post a video for some reason
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Just realised it needs to be youtube or other sharing site. So here is the link to the video on youtube. https://youtu.be/ZrBbnhG80X0
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 04:11 PM

Garage
Those starter noises sound pretty weak. Have you tried jumping it from a larger vehicle's battery? (don't turn on the other vehicle if you do)

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 04:49 PM

Does it ever bang loud? Like a backfire? That sounds basically identical to when my battery was starting to die last year.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:41 PM

It sounds ok, but a bit weak rolling over.

Like he said, jump it off a car (not running), just make sure you're getting a good connection. A running car alternator could possibly fry the R/R, but you can hook a 1000 amp bulldozer battery to it and it won't hurt a thing.

It didn't fire once.

Plugs wet or dry after that?

Also as said, backfire is usually a sign of low voltage on this bike. Don't recall any other machine being like that, but this one is for sure.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It sounds ok, but a bit weak rolling over.

Like he said, jump it off a car (not running), just make sure you're getting a good connection. A running car alternator could possibly fry the R/R, but you can hook a 1000 amp bulldozer battery to it and it won't hurt a thing.

It didn't fire once.

Plugs wet or dry after that?

Also as said, backfire is usually a sign of low voltage on this bike. Don't recall any other machine being like that, but this one is for sure.
it never backfired. Im second guessing myself now as in the timing. I think i might be 180 out which would make the starter be under a lot of strain. I thing instead of going the 305 degrees like the manual said i just rolled back to the marks on the rear cylinder. Big mistake. I dont no why i didnt think of this earlier. Is there an easy way to re ajust the cams on the rear cylinder while the engine is on the bike. I have a bit of space as the bike had the ear shave done so theres no crap in the way..
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:42 PM

I thought someone here posted about slipping the chain somehow.

2003-21k mi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement