Splines et al... - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhusn View Post
If you need snap ring pliers, Pep Boys sells a nice set with different tips to fit just about any situation. I'm sure others sell them too, I just happen to find them there.

Harbor Freight Tools I'm sure would have them too and cheap. This is my second home, while I usually only buy Craftsman, I've been finding that HFT has some equal quality for a lot less Lincolns.

Good luck on the spline job - I'm really glad I did mine and had it not been for this forum I wouldn't have even known it was an issue.
================================================== =======
Good going guys. The 2009 wrenching school is in full swing and the Vulcans are getting the TLC they need. And having the right tools does make for a less stressful job.

OlHoss, Cliff --

I bought the snap ring pliers with different tips at Advance Auto for $10. (I get a military discount).

Yep, I'm a rookie freshman in the current VN wrenching school.

I'm about to go out to the shed for the spline session. I'll let you know how it goes later today.

Thanx for your responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:47 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Good luck, thanks for the tip on the military discount from Advance Auto. I didn't know they did that. I'll be sure and ask next time I'm.

By the way, I bought my Iridium Spark Plugs from the there last week and took my first ride with them today, what a difference! $29 very well spent! My Vulcan thinks it's a 1200!

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up Spline Lube Half Done!

Quote:
Good luck, thanks for the tip on the military discount from Advance Auto. I didn't know they did that. I'll be sure and ask next time I'm.

By the way, I bought my Iridium Spark Plugs from the there last week and took my first ride with them today, what a difference! $29 very well spent! My Vulcan thinks it's a 1200!
Cliff and Everyone --

I also bought Iridiums a few days ago but haven't installed them yet--looking forward to it! Yep, be sure to ask for your military discount.

SPLINE LUBE UPDATE:
* Lubed the splines today using Fergy's well written guide Thanx Fergy! (Photos attached)
* Splines and gears were wet with grease and in excellent condition (lucky!)
* Loosened axle lock nut prior to putting bike on center stand to reduce risk of rolling off center stand
* Had to remove right muffler (see 3rd pic)
* Front end (u-joints) looked new but w/o any grease
* Also changing the final drive fluid
* No major problems but it was brutal working in 86o heat in the shed w/o air condition
* More photos next page
* I'll put it all back together when I get the tire from Ma Kawi

QUESTION?
I have the brake hub tied to the wheel (see 1st pic). But I'll take the rear wheel to Ma Kawi tomorrow for a new Metzeler 880. Do I need to remove the brake hub?
If so, is there a special way to remove it? What do I need to watch out for?
I don't know what's in there and I'm afraid I won't know how to reassemble it.

I would appreciate any tips concerning the brake hub!

--

Last edited by FlaRider; 04-18-2009 at 12:04 PM.

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 09:59 PM

A few more photos of Spline Lube. I used Diana's suggestion of holding the opposite side with a long wrench and your foot! Thanx Diana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Cliff and Everyone --

SPLINE LUBE UPDATE:
* Lubed the splines today using Fergy's well written guide Thanx Fergy! (Photos attached)
* Splines and gears were wet with grease and in excellent condition (lucky!)

--

Last edited by FlaRider; 04-18-2009 at 12:04 PM.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:11 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Nothing special to do with the hub, just carefully pull it off. The shoes are held in place with springs, they won't move. You might want to spray them down real good with Brakekleen and inspect them.

When I took mine to have the tire put on they told me they do not want the brake hub, just the wheel so I left it in the car.

Congratulations on getting the spline job done. Sounds like it went well despite the heat.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Nothing special to do with the hub, just carefully pull it off. The shoes are held in place with springs, they won't move. You might want to spray them down real good with Brakekleen and inspect them.

When I took mine to have the tire put on they told me they do not want the brake hub, just the wheel so I left it in the car.

Congratulations on getting the spline job done. Sounds like it went well despite the heat.
Thanx Cliff!

I've got some spray brake cleaner. Is there any special way to put the hub back in?

--
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

No, it just slips right in, nothing special to it. The rear brakes are very simple unlike a car. I changed my shoes while I was at it so the rear was all new. Got Kevlar brake shoes on e-bay for $9, I should be good to go for another 20,000 miles.

post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
No, it just slips right in, nothing special to it. The rear brakes are very simple unlike a car. I changed my shoes while I was at it so the rear was all new. Got Kevlar brake shoes on e-bay for $9, I should be good to go for another 20,000 miles.
Way to go Cliff!

Thanx for your quick reply!
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

No problem, I don't have a life, just sit in front of the TV and read the forum.

The hub is just an empty drum, the back plate holds the shoes as 1 piece, just lift it out, spray it all clean and put it back when you get the tire put on.

You'll love the Metzler's they are great tires and stick to the road.

post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
how about the kevlar brake shoes ,are you liking them or can you tell any difference from stock?

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement