Standing at the cross roads - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Standing at the cross roads

well, some of you know and most don't know.....

my VN750, has been grounded for a few years now. I have come to find out that it is all due to a bad stator.

well, here's the deal......do I put the $2000 into it or do I just start looking for another motorcycle?

I'm at the point that I just want the thing out of my garage. I'm willing to sell it "as is" for cheap, just to move it. if I don't get any interested buyers for it, I will likely just cut my losses and junk it.

if I do end up selling/junking it, I am going to pull a few parts off of it. I have a few accessories that I will put up for sale here before I list then on E bay.

either way, it's a very sad day for Ruger.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!

Last edited by ruger; 08-06-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:13 PM

I decided that I was going to pay for that job once and once only. Thankfully the local dealer wasn’t charging me $2000 though, but it still wasn’t cheap. I don’t think I would’ve been able to justify $2000 considering I paid $2300 (tax n tags) for the bike.
My question is why’d you hang on to the bike? My guess is because you love the damn thing lol
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:22 AM

Why don't you just replace it yourself, for the cost of a case of beer, 16hrs of your time, and the stator? Total investment would be $330 if you got good beer.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750 with the following work done to it, after sitting for 19 years:
John 8:44
REV 2:9
REV 3:9
www.voat.co

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:35 AM

Lol, since you waited this long, I second that motion. Hey you have a garage, so you’re way ahead of me because I only had a sidewalk to work on, and if it’s been sitting so long you’re obviously more patient than I am. Splurge for two cases of beer and stator and you’ll still be coming out ahead.
MSattler likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
I decided that I was going to pay for that job once and once only. Thankfully the local dealer wasnít charging me $2000 though, but it still wasnít cheap. I donít think I wouldíve been able to justify $2000 considering I paid $2300 (tax n tags) for the bike.
My question is whyíd you hang on to the bike? My guess is because you love the damn thing lol
yup. you answered your own question.

$2000, is that too high? I was guessing at the cost. what would a dealer charge for stator replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSattler View Post
Why don't you just replace it yourself, for the cost of a case of beer, 16hrs of your time, and the stator? Total investment would be $330 if you got good beer.
that is a "HARD NO!", on doing it myself. besides, $330, for a stator, all other parts and a case of beer? I think it would be a little more than that.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:21 PM

I called two Kawasaki dealers near me in Philly, the stator was about $400 with gasket etc, and one place quoted me 12hrs labor ( I really didn’t think this guy wanted to do the job) and the other dealer quoted me 7 hrs. Needless to say who I went with. Only thing is they took their sweet time to finish the job. Total cost around $1100. Which still stung a bit, but it’s my 1st bike and I wasn’t ready to move on yet. The bike is an 05, the original stator lasted 14yrs, if I get half that out of the new one I’ll be content.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:16 AM

Standing at the cross roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post

$2000, is that too high? I was guessing at the cost. what would a dealer charge for stator replacement?

that is a "HARD NO!", on doing it myself. besides, $330, for a stator, all other parts and a case of beer? I think it would be a little more than that.

Well if youíre unwilling to take the plunge and enjoy the learning experience, go ahead and buy a new bike thatís covered under the manufacturers warranty. I found this from Rickís Motorsports with a one year warranty for $145. Thatís the bulk of the cost right there. You could get OEM, which was known to be weak, or you can get an aftermarket one. Either way, youíre down to three options. Sell it for next to nothing, and let someone else enjoy the bike, because this is a fairly simple fix (even with the tuxedo mod); pay the dealership $2000 so you donít have to get your nails dirty, or enjoy the experience and do it yourself for 16.5% of the cost.
https://www.amazon.com/1986-2006-KAW.../dp/B008YGMO8I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750 with the following work done to it, after sitting for 19 years:
John 8:44
REV 2:9
REV 3:9
www.voat.co
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSattler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post

Well if you’re unwilling to take the plunge and enjoy the learning experience, go ahead and buy a new bike that’s covered under the manufacturers warranty. I found this from Rick’s Motorsports with a one year warranty for $145. That’s the bulk of the cost right there. You could get OEM, which was known to be weak, or you can get an aftermarket one. Either way, you’re down to three options. Sell it for next to nothing, and let someone else enjoy the bike, because this is a fairly simple fix (even with the tuxedo mod); pay the dealership $2000 so you don’t have to get your nails dirty, or enjoy the experience and do it yourself for 16.5% of the cost.
https://www.amazon.com/1986-2006-KAW.../dp/B008YGMO8I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to disagree a little here, I’ve remodeled entire homes by myself in my past so I’m no stranger to work or daunting tasks. Changing this stator without the tux mod or the TOC plate is NOT an easy job to take on by yourself if you don’t have the right tools or a good place to work.
I can’t speak for other’s financial situations but if you can afford to fix it then go for it. I’m 43, I work full time, I have a 9yr old and a wife, so life is pretty busy, When time permits I’d rather ride the bike then rip it apart.

Just to give perspective, I had the Kawasaki dealer do my bike because my usual mechanic didn’t want to take the job on because he’s by himself.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:05 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I could be wrong, but I thought Rick's stators were junk.

My opinion here is sell it and fill that empty spot in your garage with a new bike.

I have a Vulcan taking up space in my garage too, and my "plan" was to get it running again after I retire. Truth be told, if someone offered me $500 for it I'd let them haul it away...as I do have a motorcycle to ride , (my Triumph Bonneville)
If it's just sitting there collecting dust and you don't want to spend the $$$ to fix it, then by all means pass it on to someone that will.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:43 AM
NewB to Vulcans

I find myself in the same place, I own three older vehicles, the Vulcan gets ridden the least and uses the vast majority of my tinkering time, its currently down again for a water pump bearing. Thinking i can sell it and get a boat as it will cost less in the long run

'99 Vulcan "Victoria"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement