Should I be concerned? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Should I be concerned?

Alright everyone, so heres my latest eyebrow raiser, not sure if this and issue, normal, or me just being a newbie to the world of V-twin engines, so here goes. On any normal day, when I start the bike it's tilted to the left on the kickstand, as of recently in Philly it's been in the 90's for the most part so no choke needed and it'll start right up with the slightest touch of the starter. i notice the idle is just under "1" if I had to guess, I'd say it's running at 950 RPM (i know it's low), when I mount up and straighten the bike up the idle raises to the normal idle speed just above the "1". My ride to work isn't that long, maybe 20 mins or so. When I go to park the bike I normally have to back it into the spots in the corrals and out of habit I usually have the bike in 1st gear as I'm parking. So here's what I'm unsure of, if the bike is in 1st gear, the clutch held in, and i put the kickstand down and lean the bike down to settle, it'll knock a few times and stall out. If I put it in neutral, the bike can sit there and idle with no issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:49 AM

Did you disable the kickstand switch? If not, that's what is causing it. I got rid of that junk.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750 with the following work done to it, after sitting for 19 years:
John 8:44
REV 2:9
REV 3:9
www.voat.co
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

My bike is pretty stock, I plan to do most of the electrical mods when it cools down because my “garage” is out front of my house and I’m direct sun until late afternoon. But I do understand that switch acts as a kill switch, but that doesn’t explain the knock, plus the clutch is not engaged, I’m holding it in duck walking the bike into a spot

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:28 PM

My only experience with this feature, was when I went to the motorcycle safety course (my Harley doesn't have this, and I did all of the electrical mods before I got the bike up and running). I had a little Yamaha 250, and I thought something was wrong, because I had it in 1st, I had the clutch in, and it still died when I put down the kickstand. The instructors thought it was pretty funny, and they explained that is a safety feature. So from my limited experience, it is normal to kill the bike. As for the knocking, it could have something to do with the safety trying to kill the bike. What I mean by that, is that the way the safety engages, it isn't as smooth as the key or kill switch.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750 with the following work done to it, after sitting for 19 years:
John 8:44
REV 2:9
REV 3:9
www.voat.co
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

I’ll have to pay attention to it more, I’d like it if I were the reason for it. I’m an engineer and have a tendency to overthink things at time. So after reading this site for a while I’m well aware of the ACCTs on these bikes, I still have mine and was worrying if that brief knock was indicative of the chain not being held under enough tension. And to clarify this is with the bike on its kickstand and the handlebars all the way to the left which is the max amount the bike can lean
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:48 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If you leave it in neutral does the idle speed go down when you lean it over?
Idle speed shouldn't change because of the bikes position.
Possible causes for this are low float level adjustment, water/crap in the gas tank, or Improperly routed throttle cable (or one not adjusted correctly) or, some electrical issue.

The kickstand switch is a safety feature and if it is working there's no reason to bypasss it. There is also a switch at your clutch lever, and this one sticking could be your problem. On a properly functioning bike, the kickstand switch only will kill the bike if it's in gear and the clutch lever is out, pulling the lever in should cancel out the kickstand switch action here.

Real question here is why is your motor still running if you're deploying the kickstand?

Does the bike also die if after you start the bike, after you straighten it up pull in the clutch lever and put in gear WITH the kickstand down?
Here it should only kill the motor when you release the clutch lever.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok let me make sure I address all the questions here

If I lean the bike over when its running and already have been riding I see NO change in idle speed, I have however noticed the reverse when the I start the bike for the first time of the day, like in my first post, hit the ignition, the needle is right below the "1", when I stand the bike up to pull away it rises slightly to above. what you have listed for possible causes all make sense simply because the bike was at the Kawa dealership for almost 3 weeks for a new stator and who knows if it spent any time outside or how "top notch" all the wrenches were that worked on it. I'll consider those all great starting points. Especially the throttle cables

As far as the clutch and kickstand switches, I'm not saying it's impossible they're the problem but I will test these for sanity. as to your question about when i stand the bike up will it die, it only dies if i let out the clutch, which i don't normally do so we're good there.

And for the burning question as to "why is your motor still running if you're deploying the kickstand?", although I appreciate that the city of Philadelphia has carved out motorcycle corals throughout the center city district for us, space is at a premium and hot starts can be a pain so it's basically making sure the bike is going to fit in the spot and I'm not going to be the guy who starts the bikes falling like dominos before killing the motor!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Case and point, how close is this guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63E6EC14-784B-4933-8F10-3538538372B6_1564519198398.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	46383  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:01 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Have no solid explanation why the rpms rise other than if you're not using the choke to start a "cold" bike, it may run at a lower rpm until it warms up some.
As it doesn't change idle once it is warmed up, straight or leaned, I'd wadger that's the reason.
Your comment about the handle bar location when you lean it over would lead me to suggest make not sure that's not playing a part. It's not unheard of for the bike to die when the bars are turned full right (or left)
There are several remedies as far as "hot starting" problems go, so you might want to look those up if this is a common issue with your bike.
Generally it's just a safety concern not shutting off the bike before leaning it over on the stand, or backing it up. Same goes for starting off if you're not just waiting for the bike to warm up.

I'd check the function of the clutch switch (while upright on the bike) as well as the handlebar positioning.

The reason I mentioned water in the tank, is because when I worked at a shop a guy came in and showed us every time he leaned the bike over on the stand, the engine would sputter and die. Turns out there was some water in the tank that would flow into the petcock pipe when it was leaned, but wasn't high enough to do it when the bike was held up straight. Kinda doubt it's the cause of your problem, but had to put it on the list.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the safety concerns, that little trick I pull is just a product of city life. Since my last post I can say both switches mentioned are working, and when I parked it at the house, I couldn’t get it to stall like it did this morning. I also moved the bars multiple times in both directions looking for a short which didn’t show, nor did the rpms change as I moved it back n forth.
I’m not discarding the water theory just yet, because when I picked the bike up from the dealer it obviously saw rain at some point during its stay, I’m pretty meticulous when it comes to covering her up.
BUT WAIT THERE’s MORE, one thing I completely blanked on and did not mention earlier is sometimes when riding and I come up to a stop the idle is slow to return all the way down, normally a blip will correct it so maybe a pin hole in the air intake somewhere?? Nothing major and not consistent like some posts I’ve read here.
Lastly, I think the pick up coil mod is in order for the hot starts, that was the “electrical” mod I was referring to in my 1st post.

As always I appreciate the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement