Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

The unsalvageable tank

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  One1 
#1 ·
This came on one of my VNs that I purchased a couple years ago and it leaked in literally 40 different spots. so I tried plugging it up with that epoxy that you squished together and it hardens hoping that I could use it as a spare tank just for feeding gas to engines that I had on the stand working on but even after $30 worth of that epoxy it never sealed up and it still leaks from over 20 spots.

The inside appears to have por 15 in it and it has it all peeled away it’s a complete dumpster fire

I just found the gas tank in the garage and remembered about it so I figured I would post some pictures of it.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I would just toss it. I do collect parts, probably way too many. But I don't keep anything if it is completely worthless. Is that tank from a U.S. Vulcan? I don't remember ever seeing a Vulcan tank with graphics like that before.

#11 ·
I've stuck LED's in tons of things before and I have a strip with a remote control and programmable brain. It may end up lit before it's over.

#6 ·
If restoring it is worth the effort to you, the existing liner can be removed with paint stripper. Use good quality stuff and give it time to work. With all the liner removed, fill the tank with water and tape over the holes. When the tank is completely dry (doesn't matter if some flash rust forms) use Caswell epoxy tank sealer. It actually adheres to light rust even better than smooth metal. You'll never have to worry about rust again because the metal is entirely covered with epoxy on the inside. https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

#7 ·
I have seen tanks so rusty the whole sides and top caved in. If it is that rusty it will have no structural strength,

#13 ·
It's still amazingly solid, just swiss cheese. I'm a welder and I do sheetmetal sometimes. I've been planning on making a gas tank for one of my VN's and I'm going to use this one for a template for the bottom so I know it'll fit the frame.

#16 ·
Stone Poet. Kcdqg has it now. If I can find pics I'll dig em up

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: One1
#17 ·
A pictorial review of why POR15 doesn’t work and peels back out. I don’t know who did this to this tank, but if it were me I’d use muratic acid, naval jelly, THEN SEALER and cross my fingers. As bad as this tank is inside, I can’t imagine they used anything before putting the sealer on.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.