Steering lock. Who knew?! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Steering lock. Who knew?!

Having read through a thread about the mythical vn750 steering lock... I found mine! I'm guessing it wasn't lost. Just hiding.

As they say, "It's the little things in life" 🤘🏻
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:09 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome. Steering locks and helmet locks are worthless to me. About the only time I park my bike unattended is at a fast food place, where I can see it out the window. I put my helmet on the right side mirror.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:09 AM

Garage
I'm confused why you wouldn't use the steering and helmet lock. I understand not relying on them, but why not use them? I figure a helmet won't come off the lock from a wind gust or a person bumping into the bike (with their body, not a car). A young kid won't try on your helmet for fun.

I don't want the unknown of my helmet falling and a well meaning person putting it back up. If it hit hard enough, it's no longer safe to use, but I'd be none the wiser.

Locks don't prevent theft, they keep honest people honest. The best theft prevention is owning a bike that's worth only $1k. 🙂

I have no sympathy for people that have things stolen from their unlocked car.

'89 Vulcan 750 Bought 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800
Purchased stock. Wrecked once
22490.0+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB
110/90 Front Tire
Pick-up coil re-gapped to .020"
Compufire 55402 r/r series regulator
USB Outlet + Voltmeter
Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages
Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG
MCCT conversion

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals
Windshield
Highway Pegs
(Possible) ignition advance

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:31 AM

I have a dumb question, when you guys mention “steering lock” are you talking about something other that the ignition key position turned all the way to the left?? I know where the helmet locks are you’re referring to.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
I have a dumb question, when you guys mention “steering lock” are you talking about something other that the ignition key position turned all the way to the left?? I know where the helmet locks are you’re referring to.
It's the forks lock function on the ignition switch. Mine has an arrow with "push in" on it. Push in, turn, forks are locked.

I forget at the moment whether it's left or right. To the right I think. Turning to the right without pushing in turns on the parking lights.

I use mine if I'll be out of sight, it keeps anyone from just pushing your bike away. If they wanna push, it will have to be in circles.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Yes, that is what they are referring to. I always lock mine when I am away from it. Otherwise someone can literally just roll away with it. Sometimes I also use the lock-chain that originally came with the bike when new. I bought my '06 new and still have/use the chain.

As for my helmet locks, when I added the hard mounted bags I repositioned the helmet lock up higher on the passenger backrest (the tall one). Since then I have gotten into the habit of simply leaving my sissy bar luggage on the bike so that covers up my newly positioned locks. To that end I paid a visit to my local Home Depot and bought a good length of their plastic-covered cable (don't remember the size) and made myself a series of lockable lanyards.

Longer ones lock the sissy bar bag down and a shorter one that I drape over the handle bar that takes care of my helmet.

I NEVER, EVER leave the bike in an unsecure position.

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
Fork mounted tool bag (now hard mounted)
Relocated rear turn signals
LED turn signals, brake lights and running lights
LED license plate frame
Engine Guard and Highway pegs
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers (nice)
Custom seat (made by a local guy)
Iridium plugs (DPR7EIX-9)
Shenko 230 Tour Master tires at 11,123 miles
Splines lubed at 11,123 miles
Luggage rack
Light bar with LED lights
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I just never leave mine in an unsecure location. It is for recreational use only, I don't park it in a Walmart parking lot and leave it there for an hour. It would either be gone or laying on it's side, lock or no lock. I have uses a gun lock to lock my full face helmet to the handlebar. I wrap the cable around the chin bar, not just the D ring. They always seem to put helmet locks where either the helmet or bike or both will get scratched up. I bought a used bike once, the seller had used the helmet lock, it allowed the helmet to hang down on the exhaust. Melted plastic all over the exhaust, and a big melted place on the helmet. He offered to give me the helmet. I declined. It was not easy getting all that melted plastic off the exhaust. On my '02, I had the oem Kawasaki saddlebag mounting/turn signal relocator brackets, which required the helmet locks be removed from the seat rail. For a nice clean look, I took a Dremel and cut off and ground down the helmet lock brackets. There was a place on the accessory saddle bag mounting/turn signal relocating bracket to mount the helmet locks, but I used those holes to mount a flag holder, since I am a member of the Patriot Guard Riders.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:46 PM

Ah ok, thanks for the clarity. I have a top box mounted on my luggage rack. As long as its not loaded I stash my helmet in there. As far as the steering lock I’ve always just turned the key all the way to the left with the handlebars fully turned to the left as well. I’m curious now so when I get the bike out of the shop (dead stator) I’ll mess around with the key positions.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pittenger View Post
I'm confused why you wouldn't use the steering and helmet lock. I understand not relying on them, but why not use them? I figure a helmet won't come off the lock from a wind gust or a person bumping into the bike (with their body, not a car). A young kid won't try on your helmet for fun.

I don't want the unknown of my helmet falling and a well meaning person putting it back up. If it hit hard enough, it's no longer safe to use, but I'd be none the wiser.

Locks don't prevent theft, they keep honest people honest. The best theft prevention is owning a bike that's worth only $1k. 🙂

I have no sympathy for people that have things stolen from their unlocked car.
Tend to always lock the bike with an alarmed disc lock and slot the helmet over the sissy bar with a chain through the helmet lock. After much wiggling of the key and handlebars having the steering lock work is that extra bit of security 👍🏻 I'm in the UK and there's a huge issue with youngsters on mopeds stealing bikes whilst they're being ridden...not much you can do to stop that other than ride quicker!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 PM

Garage
I was at a biker breakfast this weekend and was surprised how many people were locking their helmets. While others (like me) just hung them on the bike.
Now if I'm going to a large event such as bike week, I'll Cable lock it.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement