96 750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

96 750

Hey guys . I have a 96 750 . It was around 12000 miles on it. The other day I was riding and I heard a knocking noise and then it died . I was able to fire it back up and it would run for about a minute then shots back down. The knock sounds like it is in the top end . Can anyone point me in the right direction? Btw I pulled the engine and took the valve covers off to see if anything look out of place but nothing does. Tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome. Did it run ok before or is this a bike you just acquired? Are you a mechanic? There are a lot of thing that could be wrong that would not be obvious if you didn't know what you are looking for. Usually a knocking noise is cause by a failed crankshaft or con rod bearings. But neither one of those would likely cause the engine to die. It would just keep running until something broke. It could be cam chain noise. The Vulcan 750 has had defective cam chain tensioners from the very beginning, Kawasaki never fixed the problem. Also, since the engine died, check to see if it may have been running on one cylinder. This has also been a common problem with the Vulcan 750 when first started. I don't know if anyone has ever figured out what causes it. The Vulcan 750 is a quirky machine. But that seems to be part of the reason some people like them so much. Next time you start it, rev it up a bit if it will. If it is firing on one cylinder, the extra vibration may make the other cylinder kick in. I believe it is caused by a carburetor issue. It is almost always the rear cylinder that won't fire to begin with. This issue is more common with bikes that have been sitting for a while. Try it with and without the choke.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

I bought the bike last year. And it my first bike . She ran like a beast . I'm not no mechanic by any means but I have worked on alot of cars in my life. I've rebuilt engines and what not. But I never worked on a bike .when I bought the bike the owner said it has been sitting but he would fire it up from time to time . I rode it from pa to va and back in the end of April. Then it sat for about 2 weeks ( rain and work schedule) but this happend on the first day of riding it after the two weeks. I have the engine pulled and I dont want to tear the whole thing down if I dont have to.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:13 AM
2014 KLR 650!

If you have the engine pulled you're already there...

Everyone needs to do the tw200 petcock replacement. That fixes most of the issues here.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement