Cranking issues this morning - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Cranking issues this morning

Generally keep the moto on a battery tender, although it might be a "jr battery tender" - light is green, you would think moto would crank - nothing else drawing off the battery - the lights are flickering - seems like it's not getting enough juice - gonna try to crank it again at lunchtime - might jump it -
are there fuses, or something i should be checking? it just sputters, - choke on, fuel in the tank, petcock on reserve and kill switch "on" - temp was about 60 degrees this morning.

I think I may sell this thing once it's cranking - I just don't seem to have very good luck with carburetor motorcycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirnibor View Post
Generally keep the moto on a battery tender, although it might be a "jr battery tender" - light is green, you would think moto would crank - nothing else drawing off the battery - the lights are flickering - seems like it's not getting enough juice - gonna try to crank it again at lunchtime - might jump it -
are there fuses, or something i should be checking? it just sputters, - choke on, fuel in the tank, petcock on reserve and kill switch "on" - temp was about 60 degrees this morning.

I think I may sell this thing once it's cranking - I just don't seem to have very good luck with carburetor motorcycles.
how old is the battery? an old crusty battery, even on a tender, is likely to fail.

1995 VN750
Ear Shave Mod
2-Wire Mod
Blue Wire Mod
RLU Bypass
SH847 R/R
Degoat
V&H Pipes
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:25 PM

ya, try jumping it over with a car battery (DO NOT have the car running when you do this)

that'll let you know right quick in a hurry whether your battery is the culprit

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:00 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

"I just don't seem to have very good luck with carburetor motorcycles" I wouldn't own or ride anything BUT a carbureted motorcycle. They are the best, and cheap and easy to diagnose problems and work on. EFI is an expensive nightmare. It's only there to satisfy the EPA. I bought a new 2013 Royal Enfield Bullet with EFI. The $500 electric fuel pump failed in about 2 months. I replaced it with an Amal carb with a carb conversion kit. It ran a LOT better, has more power, much better throttle response. It was choking and wheezing with the EFI. The carb richened up the air/fuel mixture considerably. It now has a nice throaty sound. The whole conversion kit including the carb was $100 cheaper than a new fuel pump, including shipping from the UK.

It sounds like you have an electrical problem not a carburetor issue. Either a bad battery or a bad charging system, or both. Hopefully not a stator. I have 6 bikes (running) and a couple of parts bikes. I keep battery tenders on all of them. One word of caution. Do not start the engine with the battery tender connected. It can damage the tender. I used Battery Tender Jr.s for years, and ruined 2 of them doing that. I replaced them with these. https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...earchText=dl2d These are both a 2 amp charger and a maintainer, and they have worked very well for a couple of years.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

moto cranked right up at lunchtime - about 72degrees - did nothing different than this morning - bleh
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:28 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
AGM or acid filled battery?

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

it's a 1 month old AGM battery - i think what frustrates me is the cranking - on all of my other FI motos, just crank and go - this one i feel like i have to sweet talk and make promises to take her out to dinner to get her to crank for me. it's very irritating!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:06 PM

do you have a voltmeter? check a couple of things:

1. battery voltage w/everything off after letting the battery sit overnight without charging (should be 12.6v+)
2. battery voltage while cranking (shouldn't fall below 10v or so)
3. battery voltage while running (should be 12.5+ at idle, 13.5+ at 4000 rpm)

outside of that, sounds like you have an intermittent connection issue somewheres. super check the battery cables, the frame ground, the ground to the engine, the positive wires to the starter, and we might be able to help with some of the smaller wiring (like the starter relay system, there's come mods that can help)

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement