Confession time: lost an air filter - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
You might not even need new jets. Seriously it's an easy job. The only hard part is if you want to remove the center airbox under the tank in one piece. Most folks just cut it out.
Oh, so that airbox will be removed? Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

1986 Vulcan 750
Purchased June 2018, as a first bike.
Put 1,300 miles on it so far.

AGM Battery, Iridium Plugs
SeaFoam does wonders, and I'm protected by Ride-On
Back tire: Dunlop Challenger.
Front tire: Dunlop Challenger, but about to replace it with a Kenda Cruiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readparse View Post
Oh, so that airbox will be removed? Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.
Yeah, cut that B---- out man. You slap the air filters right on to the carbs. My filters seemed to be slightly too tall and the tank bent it down on the one side, but you wouldn't even know it by looking at it. Make the jump. We're here if you have questions
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 12:48 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post

Am guessing someone has the part numbers for the pod filters that fit along with a link ???
For Readparse:
These are what you need though you may find them cheaper elsewhere:

1 ea
Imgo crankcase filter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the K&Ns. You need two, of course. They've really gone up in the last few years, but there is another foam pod filter that some folks are using that are a lot cheaper, however the K&Ns will last for years and they look cool. You'll have to add a quarter inch in washers and a longer bolt under the rear of the fuel tank in order to clear the left K&N filter.
I don't know about the foam pods.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some folks use a sawzall to remove the plastic air box. I don't recommend it. It's too wild and you risk scraping the top of your front head and making an ugly mark. I used an 'endless hacksaw', the handle on one end and one end of the blade sticking out wild. You pull it to cut.
You could also drill a few holes in a line to get started and make it quicker.
Spockster says you can remove it in one piece by removing the wiring harness and moving the thermostat housing.
I weighed all the parts that I removed in the earshave and it totaled fourteen pounds.
One of the rubber tubes which you will no longer need has a right angle bend and can be cut to length to replace the current crankcase tube that plugs into the air box. You can mount the imgo filter on the lower screw hole for the left ear and route the modified tube to it from the crankcase.
I recommend getting a pair of eleven inch needle nose pliers to disconnect and reconnect the various hoses.
Don't try to remove the hose clamps, you'll just deform them. Instead, grasp the hose firmly with the needle nose pliers just beyond the nipple and pull them off. Push 'em back on the same way.

PS: If you decide to cut the airbox, drive some tapered wooden shims between the top of the front cylinder and the bottom of the airbox to keep it stationary.

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob

Last edited by roadpouring; 08-15-2018 at 12:51 AM.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey, guess what! I found the air filter screen. Spockster said it either fell out, or was in the first 2-3 inches of the carb throat, and that I should be able to touch it.

I know it's been several days, but I actually haven't ridden at all since Friday (pretty crazy, since I normally ride nearly every day). I had a bunch going on over the weekend and early this week.

Anyway, it turns out it was there, and I actually could touch it, as long as my finger reached up a little (I had tried to feel for it last weekend, but it didn't seem to be there then. I used a little mirror tonight to look around the corner of the intake and I saw it. To pull it back far enough that I could get it out, I used an interesting rig: One of my rubber mallets has a hook in the end of the handle. I unscrewed that hook out of the handle and lashed the straight part of the hook (which is pretty long) to my index finger, using some electric wire. Use what you've got, right?

Finally it was close enough that I could use my finger to coax it out.

I have tried and tried to get these bolts out of the air filter that has the stripped receiver nuts (or whatever you want to call them). shark88 said he had some luck with vice grips on those nuts (which are actually under some rubber or plastic or whatever, so you can't actually get to the nuts themselves). I can't find my vice grips, for some reason. But I was squeezing the holy hell out of the thing with a pretty good wrench and made no progress on those bolts at all.

So I'm still contemplating what to do about that, though I did ride the bike tonight, since I'm not going out riding in the dirt and I'm not riding in the rain. I could certainly cut the bolts off with an angle grinder, but then I would have to find a way to get their stubs out. I could buy a whole new air filter case, but that seems stupid.

Especially since everybody is telling me to do the ear shave. Yeah, I probably should, but I'll keep thinking about it.

I'm just glad I went for a ride tonight. Oh, and I had the POGS issue, but I couldn't remember what to do about it. So I decided to pull over and look it up on this site, and I remembered it's the carb vent hose. I checked my temporary workaround -- since that's the ear I'm missing. I had actually tucked the hose up under the tank and taped it to the tank with -- uh, electrical tape (sorry). That tape had come loose enough that I guess the hose was getting whipped around at speed, and my POGS was pretty bad.

So I taped it back up, made sure it was fully under the tank, to stay out of the breeze, and I was on my way. The POGS went away and I stayed out for a long time. Wonderful ride, great temperature, and I didn't want to stop. I love this bike.

Yeah, yeah... ear shave. I know Thanks guys.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpouring View Post
For Readparse:
These are what you need though you may find them cheaper elsewhere...
Thanks for the encouragement, roadpouring. Lots of good info here. I didn't see this comment until just now.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonianjorel View Post
Yeah, cut that B---- out man. You slap the air filters right on to the carbs. My filters seemed to be slightly too tall and the tank bent it down on the one side, but you wouldn't even know it by looking at it. Make the jump. We're here if you have questions
Ha! I like the way you think. You guys might convince me after all.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readparse View Post
Ha! I like the way you think. You guys might convince me after all.
Just do it. You obviously have the knowledge to do it. As for your POOGS issue, make sure it is POOGS. Go for a ride with the gas cap unlatched. POOGS is caused by a clogged vent in the gas cap. I'd think it might be because of your missing air filter. If you get some uneven wind fitting your air intake, it'll mess with it and cause the bike to lose power. Sometimes on the highway in the windy stretch of RT 15 in Maryland, I get a little rev dip from the wind blowing at me
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonianjorel View Post
As for your POOGS issue, make sure it is POOGS. Go for a ride with the gas cap unlatched. POOGS is caused by a clogged vent in the gas cap.
I didn't have a problem once I re-taped the carb vent hose under the gas tank. Well actually, I opened and shut the gas cap also, just in case.

So you're saying that riding with the gas cap unlatched should work around the POOGS issue, right? I do keep meaning to take off my gas cap, disassemble, inspect, clean, etc. That sounds like a pretty easy job. Anyway, I'm glad it went away. The first part of that ride sucked. The POOGS was so bad I felt like it was gonna jerk me off the bike eventually. So then I pulled over, looked it up on this site on my phone, did a couple of things, and was fine.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:36 AM
Old Fart

Garage
POOGS has nothing to do with the carb vent hose, that's a separate issue. Riding with the gas cap open would not have helped you.

The carb vent hose end must be in still air so it's at atmospheric pressure. Air moving past the end of the hose can raise or lower the air pressure in the carb, resulting in either fuel starvation or over rich conditions.
Google "how an atomizer works"

POOGS occours when the tank is about half empty and the gas cap isn't replacing the loss of fuel as the bike runs with incoming air. This creates a vacuum in the tank and fuel slows or stops flowing.
Take a full bottle of water with the cap screwed on tight an punch a tiny hole in the bottom with an ice pick. A few drops of water may run out but it will stop flowing. Now unscrew the cap. The water will now run out in a stream.
Same concept with the fuel in the tank.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:48 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

@readparse

I wouldn't rely on tape to secure the vent tube. It'll let you down again at some point.

The vent tube naturally points forward to the front of the bike.
Bend the tube backwards in a U-shape so that it's pointing towards the rear of the bike and then zip tie it(without collapsing it) to the wiring harness and just behind the thermostat housing.

Some plug the vent tube into a plastic nipple underneath the tank.
I don't do that since I don't like wrestling with the vent tube when removing and reinstalling the tank... especially when it's full of fuel.

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement