Rubber disc fell off my premuffler (goat's belly) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rubber disc fell off my premuffler (goat's belly)

I happened to be down on the garage floor, looking at something on the bike (completely unrelated), and I noticed this little rubber disc. I tried to figure out where it came from, and it appears to have come from the premuffler, which so many refer to as the goat's belly.

So anyway, what is this disc for? It is a problem that it fell off? Thoughts on how I might reattach it without losing it? I have done a reasonable amount of searching, both on this forum and on Google, and I'm not seeing anything, though I did find a decent shot of the bottom of a premuffler on ebay, and it appears to have this same rubber piece attached.

Here's that ebay listing with the photo of it, for the curious. It's the third photo: https://ebay.to/2K6nsXD

Update: Oh, it's actually on the parts diagram, as a "damper" (92075). Surely this little thing isn't able to absorb enough energy to alter the vibration and/or noise in any way, but hey -- what do I know? I know practically nothing about exhaust systems.

Last edited by readparse; 07-29-2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Found out it's a "damper" of some sort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I took a couple of photos and completely forgot to attach them. Here they are.

Also, I found another eBay listing... this one for just the damper itself. Now it's clear why it fell off, because the damper is shaped fits into the hole kind of like a button, I guess. And somehow the bottom got torn off. Weird that this happened and the damper still managed to hold on, before falling off in my garage.

Here's that ebay listing (oh, a Canadian listing, it turns out. Whatever) https://bit.ly/2LXniDj

Anyway, I'm still not sure why this damper is useful, but I might as well consider replacing and/or fixing it, unless de-goating is high on my list of priorities (it's not. I have factory exhaust and I'm fine with that, for now).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery_part.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	45037  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh, I figured it out. When Googling this, I found a few entries that called it "damper, main stand". The reason I didn't think about this being for the center stand is because I always keep my bike on the center stand.

I took it off the stand and saw that the left leg of the center stand touches that damper (and, when the rubber damper is missing, it just goes up against that metal square which is welded to the pre-muffler. The whole point of that platform and the damper is to prevent that side of the center stand from hitting the pre-muffler.

Oh, maybe it helps with road vibrations from the center stand also. If I hear anything out of the ordinary, then I'll have my answer.
roadpouring likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:25 PM
GDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by readparse View Post
...because I always keep my bike on the center stand.
It's my opinion that the side-stand is more stable than the center stand. It's also a lot easier to use. . . . I only use the center stand when I'm parking in my garage to save space, or for servicing such as checking oil or working on the back tire, cleaning the wheels etc.

Why do you prefer the center stand?

GDI
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I can understand people preferring not to use the center stand, for multiple reasons, but I'm very surprised to hear you say that you feel like it's more stable on the side stand. My bike is still on the side stand right now, from when I put up the center stand to check that damper thing. It makes me nervous just to look at the bike on the side stand, actually.

There's a reason for this. It's not that I don't trust side stands in general. I had this one time when the side stand didn't extend all the way, and the bike fell. I had only had the bike a couple of weeks at the time, so it was certainly partially my fault. But, once bitten twice shy. I still use the side stand when I first get off the bike, but I am very careful to make sure it's down all the way, I'm hesitant when I get off the bike, and I leave it on the side stand only long enough to put it on the center stand, at which point I feel like the bike is secure. The center stand has never given me any reason not to trust it. That doesn't mean it won't. But it hasn't yet.

I find the stability of the center stand to be very impressive. My 18 year old daughter was so excited when she first saw the bike in the garage that she ran right over and jumped up on the seat. I had no concerns about it, because it was on the center stand. That doesn't mean you CAN'T knock if over if you're determined. But it's very difficult to knock it over, and I'm pretty sure it's easier to knock over a bike that's on a side stand (I'm not saying it's EASY, because I don't really know. Just easier.)

Still, though. I'm not trying to convince you. I was just surprised at that particular argument. However, the guys who don't use the center stand because they're intimidated by it... I totally get that. I had to learn how to use the center stand, and I was a little concerned my first couple of times.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 12:42 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I use both of 'em confidently.

To be certain of the side stand, park it in first gear so it can't roll and park it either on a level spot or slightly headed up hill... never headed down hill. With the bike parked in this way and the bars locked to the left, it is very stable, that is, provided you have at least a four inch square, half inch plywood pad under the foot on soft ground or hot pavement.

Same with center stand, however if facing up hill very much, it may be difficult to un-stand it.
readparse likes this.

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob

Last edited by roadpouring; 07-30-2018 at 07:36 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:06 PM
GDI

I guess maybe with the Vulcan it's kind of a wash in terms of stability--not sure about that really. Troubles start to appear when you're on uneven terrain, parking on new asphalt, or parking in a field or something.

I've heard the most stable configuration is in first gear on the side-stand as roadpouring mentioned. I mostly leave mine in neutral on the sidestand, but I am particular that it is headed uphill.

I guess we all have our preferences.

GDI
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:25 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
My bike will roll forward off the side stand if the wind blows....... maybe not, but it's stupid easy to knock it off. I've caught the handlebars with my shirt before and had to catch the bike in mid fall (Recommended and fun if you like pulling your back out). I also parked it on a crack in the pavement and it rolled the crack and tried to fall last year. Now I always kick the wheel sideways full lock to persuade it to sit still. I never use the center for anything but servicing, but I do know the side stand is sketchy on my bike. I've caught it no less than 4 times rolling forwards off the stand.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:00 AM

My son's vn750 had a sloppy side stand.
We removed it, measure the male part of the hinge for thickness, placed the female part in a press and squeezed it 'til it fit the male part tightly.
Did the same to mine, though it wasn't as sloppy as his.

They both are much more stable on the side stand now.

I think a lot of vn 750s are probably like that.

To test, place the bike on the center stand, then extend the side stand and wiggle it up and down.
If there's much wiggle, then that's a whole lot of the problem with instability.

You can also take it off and give it a whack with a ball peen, but that way it's easy to squeeze too far.
It can be done that way though. Just start with light taps and progress 'til it fits tight.

**Edit: Oh, I forgot the hard part! The spring! It's a bear!

Got it off with visegrips, but getting it back on is a different story.
Note how, where and direction the hooks of the spring are attached.
Best to have two people to get it back on.
Hook the spring to the stand leg, then with the leg closed against the frame, hook a narrow rope to the hook-to-frame end, wrap the rope around the horizontal tube of the center stand and pull the rope towards the rear of the bike. As the hook gets past the nub on the frame, the other person guides the hook on to the frame nub.
We used hay bailing twine because the rope/twine gets pinched between the hook and the nub. We just cut the twine and the strands worked out of the pinch easily.

There are likely other methods.

Last edited by roadpouring; 07-31-2018 at 11:21 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:08 AM

I reckon this thread has been run totally off the rails... should be called "The kickstand/centerstand thread".
readparse likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement