Videoing a ride-&-Camera mount help...??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Question Videoing a ride-&-Camera mount help...???

A bit earlier I saw a video someone had done on a ride and it got me thinking about doing some ride videoing...
Anyone have experience, or some advice on mounting a video camera...???
I have a Sony (consumer) video camera, it is a "Handycam" DCR-TRV39 and has super steady shot, and uses Mini DV digital video cassettes, it is pretty small but not as small as the newer tiny ones... Would it be ok for this... I am assuming that it would need to be mounted with something that would absorb some shock, and mounted on a shock & sprung part of the bike, such as the handlebars...
Any & all advice appreciated, I am a newby at videoing especially something like doing a ride...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Senior Lurker

Hey Old Dog,

Check out this page for some inspiration: http://jr_allas.tripod.com/documents/EC2004.htm About 10 pictures up from the bottom of this very long page there's a 22 minute long flash video of a ride on a 750 Vulcan through Deals Gap. The riding technique and the lines taken through the turns aren't the best, but you get the idea.

Looks like the video camera is mounted on the engine guards, not the handlebars.

-Sloppy

----Edited----

OK, after posting that comment I watched that video again. Man, this guy's riding skills are just awful. In 22 minutes he manages to go over the double yellow line four times. It's scary watching the video. I sincerely hope he goes and takes the MSF ERC course before he injures himself. At the end of the video he says he wants to improve his riding skills to reduce his time through on that road, but he'd be better off focusing on improving his riding skills to increase his overall life expectancy.

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Küryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Küryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328

Last edited by Sloppyburpfest; 03-31-2009 at 09:35 AM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Kawika

I know first hand, the handle bars are really shakey and you will need some kick-but image stabilization to keep from wanting to barf when you replay the video...the engine guard is much more stable, but too cramped with my feet. you can use make a simple mount with 1/4-20 bolts, washers, an old footpeg clamp and some rubber hose.

good luck and let us know what works for you....I can't purchase a better cam right now.

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
A bit earlier I saw a video someone had done on a ride and it got me thinking about doing some ride videoing...
Anyone have experience, or some advice on mounting a video camera...???
I have a Sony (consumer) video camera, it is a "Handycam" DCR-TRV39 and has super steady shot, and uses Mini DV digital video cassettes, it is pretty small but not as small as the newer tiny ones... Would it be ok for this... I am assuming that it would need to be mounted with something that would absorb some shock, and mounted on a shock & sprung part of the bike, such as the handlebars...
Any & all advice appreciated, I am a newby at videoing especially something like doing a ride...

I strongly advice not using the video camera with "moving parts", you will ruine it. I broke two of my miniDV cam like that...i guess too much vibration.

PEACE!!!

2005 Vulcan 750
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM

i am using this, it work great...and no moving parts
go on ebay.com and check this item # 290305233549

PEACE!!!

2005 Vulcan 750
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppyburpfest View Post
Hey Old Dog,

Check out this page for some inspiration: http://jr_allas.tripod.com/documents/EC2004.htm About 10 pictures up from the bottom of this very long page there's a 22 minute long flash video of a ride on a 750 Vulcan through Deals Gap. The riding technique and the lines taken through the turns aren't the best, but you get the idea.

Looks like the video camera is mounted on the engine guards, not the handlebars.

-Sloppy

----Edited----

OK, after posting that comment I watched that video again. Man, this guy's riding skills are just awful. In 22 minutes he manages to go over the double yellow line four times. It's scary watching the video. I sincerely hopes he goes and takes the MSF ERC course before he injures himself. At the end of the video he says he wants to improve his riding skills to reduce his time through on that road, but he'd be better off focusing on improving his riding skills to increase his overall life expectancy.
I thought he did pretty darn good, especially if he was pretty new to that road...
I grew up in the mountains of E. Tenn. many moons ago and we always crossed the yellow lines when there were any, but only when we could see clear, thats how we made time in those old trappy cars...lol...
I worked at Fontana Dam in the early 80s and drove 129, but the bikers were not there then... I have only rode it once, about 2 yrs ago but it was like a new road to me by then...
I still think I would like a bit higher angle than he had, and maybe a bit wider on the lens... I think the higher angle would show the curves and road ahead better, not sure but would like to try it...
BTW-He said he stayed over night in Caryville Tn., what he should have done was head west out of Caryville up mountain road over to Stainsville on hwy 116 and he would have wished he was back on the dragon, and 116 would have felt like a cruise...lol...
I don't know what I will do yet, just thinking it over, I was thinking about maybe cutting some pieces out of an old auto or truck tire to use to help with the viberations, don't know, all is in the thought & planning stage at the time...
[Edit]- I am new to video, the camera I have was bought several years ago right before the ones that use the mini discs came out, and I have not done one complete tape on it (in other words an old but new camcorder)... I do shoot some still photos though with DSLR cameras, but no video, just thought that would be something to try...lol...

Last edited by Old Dog; 03-27-2009 at 05:39 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:01 AM
At Least I Can Spell!

Helmet Cam! Helmet Cam! I've done it, and while the camera I used initially turned out to be crap, in helmet camera mounting is possible, safe and is quite good. I expect my replacement camera to arrive in today's mail, after which I will be creating an all new video production.

While there are many ways to do helmet cams, here is one example of the mounting and use of the helmet cam. This one references the Creative Vado HD. (there are more if you search youtube for motorcycle helmet cam setup)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ev6rG7JSY

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------

Last edited by msh1156; 03-28-2009 at 10:04 AM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh1156 View Post
Helmet Cam! Helmet Cam! I've done it, and while the camera I used initially turned out to be crap, in helmet camera mounting is possible, safe and is quite good. I expect my replacement camera to arrive in today's mail, after which I will be creating an all new video production.
While there are many ways to do helmet cams, here is one example of the mounting and use of the helmet cam. This one references the Creative Vado HD. (there are more if you search youtube for motorcycle helmet cam setup)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ev6rG7JSY
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...on_Pocket.html
I believe this is the one you are refering to, right...??? Does the top swivel...??? It appears to me that the lens is on the top front flat side, if it was on the top edge it would be easy to fix to the outside of the helmet, but maybe a person could make an outside holder for it even with the flat side forward... Anyway I may be biting off more than I want to chew... If I can't come up with a way to use the camcorder that I have, I probably won't do it, can't see buying another camera when I don't even use the one I have, although I may...lol...
[Edit]-Also it don't have image stabilation as I don't think most of the ultra small helmet type cameras have it do they...???

Last edited by Old Dog; 03-29-2009 at 09:30 AM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
At Least I Can Spell!

That's the unit, yes. But we're talking strictly mounting it to the inside of a full face helmet using velcro. Basically an it sees what you see scenario. I bought last year's FAR less expensive non-HD model of this unit from Amazon and tested it out just yesterday. Professional film making it ain't, but it's pretty cool.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

The only ride video's I've made were with my cell phone (doesn't make for a real good video!!!)
I had the phone in it's case, then mounted that to my home made mount for my communicator, with a bungee cord.
What was nice with using the phone, was the amount of video I could take. I had at least 6 hours of video on a 1 GB micro SD card.

Since getting a better digital camera, with video & audio, I've been trying to figure a better way of mounting it.
Haven't looked into the RAM mounts yet, but I'll probably end up making my own mount.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement