Mileage missing from my new title - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Although I provided the mileage on the back of the previous title, I was told at the counter that no mileage certification is required for a bike this old. However, I was surprised when the new title arrived and did not have any mileage listed at all. Should I be concerned about this when it comes to resale value?

I should point out that the mileage on this bike is very impressive. It’s a useful sales feature (8,000 miles on an 86)

1986 Vulcan 750
Purchased June 2018, as a first bike.
Put 1,300 miles on it so far.

AGM Battery, Iridium Plugs
SeaFoam does wonders, and I'm protected by Ride-On
Back tire: Dunlop Challenger.
Front tire: Dunlop Challenger, but about to replace it with a Kenda Cruiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:45 PM

They just stop tracking mileage after a certain number of years.

If you want to document it, a pic of the odometer with a date stamp should do it.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:44 PM
2014 KLR 650!

I've never looked at the mileage on the title when buying a bike.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
In Oregon you don't need an odometer disclosure for vehicles older than 10 years. I never look at the title odometer listing when buying, but rather the vehicle. An older vehicle could have low mileage, but still be a rusted, banged up, and poorly maintained piece of junk. I would prefer to see a older motorcycle that is well maintained, in great shape, and with about 1K miles for ever year it is old.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:32 PM

Odometer. Nobody cares about mileage on the title.

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:46 PM
Old Fart

Garage
8,000 miles on a 30 year old bike is not a selling point to me. It means the bike sat a lot and wasn't ridden. So the mystery is how long did it sit unused, where did it sit, and why wasn't it ridden.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
8,000 miles on a 30 year old bike is not a selling point to me. It means the bike sat a lot and wasn't ridden. So the mystery is how long did it sit unused, where did it sit, and why wasn't it ridden.
That's a good point, of course. It is ridiculously low mileage. The story I heard is that he rode it regularly, but just not very far. Who knows the full truth, though. The in-between owner only had it a couple of years, and he sold it because he wasn't riding it enough. The first owner was apparently a career Air Force guy (retired as Colonel), so riding on and around the base. Hardly ever a long trip. I have his contact info, and I was in the Air Force also, so I'm thinking about reaching out to him just to tell him I have the bike now, and maybe I can get some more back story.

This is a first bike for me and it was pretty cheap and seems to be in good shape. However, I will admit that I haven't take it into the shop yet for a once-over. I'm planning on doing that later in the season.

Thanks for the contribution, though. I hadn't thought about the downside of mileage this low, but that makes sense.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:38 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by readparse View Post
That's a good point, of course. It is ridiculously low mileage. The story I heard is that he rode it regularly, but just not very far. Who knows the full truth, though. The in-between owner only had it a couple of years, and he sold it because he wasn't riding it enough. The first owner was apparently a career Air Force guy (retired as Colonel), so riding on and around the base. Hardly ever a long trip. I have his contact info, and I was in the Air Force also, so I'm thinking about reaching out to him just to tell him I have the bike now, and maybe I can get some more back story.

This is a first bike for me and it was pretty cheap and seems to be in good shape. However, I will admit that I haven't take it into the shop yet for a once-over. I'm planning on doing that later in the season.

Thanks for the contribution, though. I hadn't thought about the downside of mileage this low, but that makes sense.
"However, I will admit that I haven't take it into the shop yet for a once-over" What's a shop?

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 11:50 AM

I don't automatically get suspicious of low mileage. Many people buy bikes and don't ride as much as they thought they would.

I suppose first, I'd look for signs of repeated mechanical work. Bolt/screw heads always tell a story.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 PM

Garage
You don't need to take it to any shop, just read the Versys and ask questions here. We can all play nice most of the time, lol. Most shops don't want to mess with older bikes anyway.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement