tell me it isn't as bad as it seems!!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

tell me it isn't as bad as it seems!!!!

As mentioned before in the driveshaft maintenance section I was thinking of purchasing a 2003 with 1900 miles.

After coming to the maintenance section and seeing the many posts on issues with the Vulcan 750, the coolant is leaking, the reservoir blew up, the clutch is grinding, the driveshaft is worn, on and on, naturally I am concerned.

I read before coming here the Vulcan was one of the most relable bikes out there and now I wonder.

Please tell me it isn't as bad as it seems!

J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:50 AM

Thumbs up Re: tell me it isn't as bad as it seems!!!!

You are getting the wrong impression. A lot of the people on this site run serious miles up on thier bikes. I myself run any where from 6,000 to 15,000 per year. I also plan to increase that number soon. This forum is a great place for all Vulcan owners to share info. In my humble opinion the Vulcan is one of the most solid designs I ever worked on or seen. Yes I said worked on. I own a 1986 Vulcan VN750 that was badly abused by it's previous owners, and it still seems it wants to run misconfigured or not. I bought my present Vulcan for $1200. I last week regreased the driveshaft and swingarm bearings on a fellow 86 Vulcan VN750. His bike was in great shape, and I believe it had what appeared to be the original coolant in the system. Needless to say we scheduled to change the coolant and flush the system. His bike has not missed a lick. His 86 VN750 bike has a total of 5,000 mile on it. If I have any gripe on the VN750 it is that Fuel injection and belt drive would great changes...Which brings us to the new VN900 belt drive................
Good Riding no matter what you buy
ED Dallas
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 10:44 AM

Re: tell me it isn't as bad as it seems!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbiker
As mentioned before in the driveshaft maintenance section I was thinking of purchasing a 2003 with 1900 miles.

After coming to the maintenance section and seeing the many posts on issues with the Vulcan 750, the coolant is leaking, the reservoir blew up, the clutch is grinding, the driveshaft is worn, on and on, naturally I am concerned.

I read before coming here the Vulcan was one of the most relable bikes out there and now I wonder.

Please tell me it isn't as bad as it seems!

J.
If you go to any brand-specific, or better yet, model specific site and read the tech sections...you'll soon learn the strengths, weaknesses and 'problems' of any bike. But just like in life, bad or negative info seems to circulate faster and wider than anything positive...so you just can't get a handle on things like frequency of problems.
Except for maybe the stator issue (which, actually, motivated me to dump my 750 in favor of the BMW Roadster I had been lusting after for 2yrs), I found the Vulcan to be a rock solid ride in the nearly 4yrs and 36000mi I owned it.
IMHO, for 6grand new, it is a super bike...w/ a few things you need to maintain (easily done yourself) and maybe only one to be 'concerned' about.
Bottom line...most come to the Tech forum for help or to share help, so that's what you are going to read about. You don't read so much about the thousands of other 750s that are just cruising along...
Would I buy another one, given the same cirumstances as 4 yrs ago?...
a definite 'yes'.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Search Goddess

It isn't as bad as it seems. When things do come up, we talk about them and we fix them. I put 14,000 miles on my bike last year and will probably put that much if not more on next year. A lot of that will be long distance solo riding. As a woman I need a bike I can depend on. My splines have always been lubed. My stator did go out at 18,000 miles but I am sure that is because of a slow death caused by the battery acid leak from the prior owner. Cjances are if it had come off the showroom floor with a maontenance free battery my OEM stator would be fine. As it is.. I placed a stator from an 86 in as a replacement!
What we do talk about are preventative measures to make sure your bike stays running smoothly. Things that help the electrical, things that dealers tend to miss in what should be regular maintenance.
I firmly believe that a well maintained bike will see you through. But you have to put some regular time into your bike. I think a lot of problems discussed here are from prior abuses. Granted there are some lemons. there are lemons in every brand and chances are you will find them talked about in their forums too.
My coolant isn't leaking, my reservoir is fine, clutch is quiet and smooth, driveshaft lubed and all the teeth are fine. I have a maintenance free battery and a voltmeter installed that will eliminate a lot of the potential electrical problems. I'd buy another, in fact I have *L* I am also working on a project bike and it's a VN750.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 11:26 AM

I look at finding a site like this is a blessing as you can learn all you want/need to know about your bike. For me, I want to know the strengths and weaknesses of anything I buy before I buy it. Knowing you can gain an in depth knowledge of your 750 from members here should inspire you to enjoy owning one. I know it has done that for me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

I sure appreciate the replys and I felt they would explain things as they have.

I have also located a 1986 model with 11,200 miles for about 1000 bucks.

Probably would have to turn a wrench or 2 on it but that would be expected.

Seller is a multi-bike owner and has the clymer manual too so hopefully it has been well maintained.

But he won't answer e mails!!!!!!

Ugh.....

Thanks again.

(yeah that stator issue is scary)
J.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

So if I go ahead and replace the battery and grease the splines I should be good to go for quite a few miles.........?

I was over at a Yamaha v star 650 forum and in some cases that bike seems to have an even worse history of shaft issues with sometimes multiple failures.

I take it if the vn750 shafts are well maintained it should last well into the bikes usable lifetime.

Right?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Search Goddess

I've never heard of a spline that had been greased with the reccommended Moly failing. A good application of the Moly will keep the splines spinning just fine with no gear tooth wear. Every instance of failure has been because if dry splines. In a lot of the cases it was the dealer that had neglected to grease them under warranty service. A few apparently came out of the factory dry but could have been caught in time.
It is something easily remedied (well.. getting the rear wheel off may not be super easy but it's an hour's work well spent!)
Also relocating the Regulator/Rectifier to a spot over the left passenger footpeg bracket helps keep it cooler. Another easy fix. (Most bikes have them on the outside anyway).
You are going to find quirks with just about any bike.. least we know what they are and how to prevent them in most cases *S*
I'd much rather know about what to look for and prevent then to be caught by surprise.
I don't consider myself mechanically inclined but I know my bike.. and work on it, doing the regular maintenance as well as a few fixs. I'm convinced my stator failure was a long term result of a spill by the prior owner and the battery acid corroding a couple of the connections.
With the repairs now done I DO expect many more trouble free miles with the bike.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:50 PM
"ya can't live forever"

Just knowing that Kawi has been making the same bike for 25 years with only
minor modifications shows that the reliability is there. Most of the major repairs I've heard about are from lack of maintainance and not the fault of bad design.( well except for the regulator placement ).
I know a few Harley riders that honestly envy my Vn 750 !!!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've seen this thread on just about every forum I've ever been a part of, and what the newbee doesn't realize until later is that most users frequent these forums to discuss and find solutions to problems. What good would a forum be if everyone was only allowed to say how great their ride was? It is a stock pile of technical help waiting to be used. If there were no forum for these 750's, I'd be hesitant to buy one! This is a valuable addition to owning one! (soon!)

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement