YAVQ (Yet Another Vibration Question) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

YAVQ (Yet Another Vibration Question)

I've searched through some of the earlier threads on diagnosing and fixing the source of vibration, but I'm not sure where my particular case falls.

I have both a '94 and a 2004 VN750, the latter to replace the former once I get some paint work done on it. One thing I've noticed though is that the '04 bike, while generally as smooth or smoother than the '94, vibrates a lot more than the '94 one, but only at engine RPMs over 3,000. Under that and it's fine, but once it hits 3K on the tach, something vibrates, seemingly primarily in the front right side of the bike but I haven't tracked it down yet.

Any suggestions? I can duplicate it on the centerstand so it's not something that requires resistance on the wheels. I'm hoping it's a frame or handlebar bolt somewhere, though they all seem pretty tight to me.

"Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea." (Despair.com)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 12:06 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

I was going to suggest that you look at and make sure the motor mount grommets (rubber) are in good shape, but I am sure that you have already inspected them??? Good luck

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
All bikes run differently. The more miles ? on the older one may be the reason it seems less smooth. The rubber in the mounts may simple have compressed more over time and allow it to vibrate a bit more.

My suggestion is to stop worrying about little freaking issues and go out and ride.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 02:57 PM

My suggestion is that if it bothers you (and if it didn't you wouldn't have requested input), try to track down the cause and eliminate it, if possible.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

The odd thing is that it's the NEWER bike (with 26,000 fewer miles on it) that is rougher. Today I went over the bike and tightened all the bolts I could find on the headlight, forks, engine mount, etc., and it does seem better...

It could also be that I feel the vibration more through the still-stock grips than the Kuryakyn ones I put on my older bike (still waiting for the Kurys for the new bike to arrive). After doing the bolt-tightening I parked the two side-by-side and revved their engines up to 4-5K, they seem to cause pretty much the same level of vibration on the frame.

What's really keeping me from riding it now is that I'm also still waiting for the windshield for the new bike to arrive. Riding at 50 MPH without one really forces me to hold on to the grips, and the stock grips are so thin (I have pretty big hands/long fingers) compared to the Kurys I'm used to!

"Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea." (Despair.com)

Last edited by robardin; 03-22-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement