Lots of Surprises Lately! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

2Likes
  • 2 Post By ubertalldude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Lots of Surprises Lately!

So 2 weeks ago I went to start the bike and got nothing. Battery was sitting at 12.5 but would not crank the bike and was weak for weeks prior so I knew it was time to replace. Went ahead to autozone to get an ETX15L but both of the batteries they had in stock were dead, so I went with the charge it yourself Yuasa and was good to go.

Last weekend I was a dummy and ran it out of gas. Called AAA but found a little in the reserve to get me to the next gas station 6 miles out before the guy got to me, and fueled up. Then the bike started acting weird but I realized it was running on one cylinder intermittently. I thought for sure it was a carb issue but it ran well enough to get me home 90 miles or so, so I let it sit.

This weekend I'm heading out at 6:30 Saturday to get 3 hours out to my uncles and go for a group ride with him. Starting the bike was weak, but it behaved until about an hour in and then started losing a cylinder again. Worried I'd have to go home I pulled into a parking lot in a small town and took out the tools.

Pod filters off, run the engine and Rev it running on only the rear cylinder, I can clearly see gas spraying from the front cylinders carb. Pull a plug, no apparent shock like when it's running right, what gives! Pull the side cover in front of the gas tank and VOILA! I see the ignition coil power wire is only touching the connector, just hanging on by the rubber shield. Plug it back in and it runs fine. I almost would never have guessed, and I haven't touched that in a while so I wonder just how long it ran fine like that!

Battery replaced, coil connected, and remembered to put gas in it, and she did me well all weekend. Phew! We'll see how it does taking me back to Jax tonight.
Spockster and Thorn like this.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-DashTwo-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 02:08 PM

That's a good problem to have. My bike died once and turned out to be the positive battery connector came loose because it didn't have a washer. Easy to fix but my BP went way up as the bike coughed it's way to the side of the road LOL

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:09 PM

Wow glad to see I'm not the only one with this BS luck!!Crazy a loose battery connection can leave ya sittin...eh??Question...pull that "larger" cover off to swap out the Stator...what about that smaller three screw cover...??It coming off to??

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:58 PM

What cover? I heard the stator is an engine pull job. Are you saying you got stuck somewhere with a stator out?

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:43 PM

Garage
wow
WilliamTech3

Originally WilliamTech
Since May 2011
86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock -Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
Jardine Fwd Controls, Custom Fenders w/Rails
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery, Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !

...have a Vulcan good day !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement