Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

OEM color match issue

695 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Knifemaker 
#1 ·
Hi fellow riders!! I'm restoring a 1993 Vulcan 750 in the Candy Atlantic Blue with the Pearl Teal Green ( which is actually light blue). I bought new paint (Candy Atlantic Blue) with base and clear coat. I did a spray test and compared it to one of the fenders and it looks much bluer than the original paint. Ugh! That paint was expensive!! Has anyone else had color match problems and what did you do? Thanks, Nick

#2 ·
I am getting mine repainting right now. I haven't seen what it looks like. I hope the colors match.

Are you sure your current paint is original? For your test, did you spray the base coat, top coat and clear coat? Not having any one of those would affect the final look. Also, paint ages and oxidizes over time, just like everything. When looking at the back fender, can you tell a difference between the back half, which is open to the air and sun vs. the front half that is somewhat protected under the seat? maybe sit your test piece outside in the sun for a week or so and see if it darkens at all? Normally you think about the sun bleaching out color, but if the clear coat has yellowed just a little from the UV rays, then it could make the blue look darker with out it being noticeable that the clear coat has yellowed at all. also, it could just be a bad color match. not much you can do about that. If all other things are equal, then you might need to reach out to Color Rite (or wherever you got your paint) or a Kawasaki dealer. There may be an easy answer as to why it doesn't match, but more than likely there isn't one... other than matching 25 year old paint is hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.