How to load a 750 into a pickup truck? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
How to load a 750 into a pickup truck?

Have an older pickup with 8 foot standard bed. Pair of 7 foot aluminum ramps. Looking for devices or methods used by forum members to safely load a 750 into truck (alone-no helper) without backing into a ditch or up against an earthen embankment? TIA.

In God we trust. All others pay cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Garage
I would never do that alone, and I've done many.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
I would never do that alone, and I've done many.
^ That

I can't think of a safe way to do it yourself.

Your ramp, is it flat and solid, or one with a grid design? The grid usually fights you.

Remove both back wheels from the truck and lower it as much as possible? I'm kinda kidding, really.

Honestly, you'd have to not care about the bike, truck, ramp, and your body to attempt it. It's just too much for one person, that's why you see videos of people crashing when they try to ride up a ramp into a truck.

When I was using ramps with my truck, I made pins that stayed tethered to the ramp, and drilled holes in the tailgate for the pins. Why? Because I flipped a Polaris Sportsman over backward off the truck when I spun the ramp out from under me.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:15 PM

Garage
If you have no choice, I would place the ramps fairly close to each other, and walk it up with the clutch. VERY Carefully mind.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:52 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Get Help.

Seriously, do not attempt to ride it up the ramp. Ask a neighbor (or two) to help you. Buy them a six pack if need be, but get help.

Do to the angle and wheelbase of the bike, the edge of the truck will hit the lower frame unless you have a ditch or something to make the ramp level with the truck bed. You'll need someone on both sides of the bike and really need one more to help lift at his point.
So....

Get Help.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 01:10 PM

Looking around, I see there are powered one-man loading ramps available now. Only about $2200. *cough-cough*

This guy says he has $50 in this one-man loading ramp.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...CTOw16pyp_18aD

Last time I looked, it cost almost $50 for a ramp kit at Lowe's (two alum. brackets and two 2x6 boards). We'll probably build the one in that link for my buddy's box truck, if we don't find an aluminum ramp.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 12:58 AM

Garage
I loaded a non-running 750 into truck bed using one friend, harbor freight aluminum ramps, and backed up to a slight hill (maybe halved the distance to the ground). Couldn't have possibly done it alone. Could have used a winch to pull it up the ramp, if things had gotten desperate, but like KnifeMaker said, the angle of the ramp and the tailgate will cause the bike to bottom-out hang up, and most likely fall over.

I did manage to load a 750 into a black widow hitch carrier from level ground by myself, but it was a functioning bike and I was able to feather the clutch while walking beside the ramp. Was uncomfortably dicey, so I had a friend help push it up the ramp without motor assistance the next time I loaded it.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:21 AM
GDI

I used to regularly load motorcycle into a pickup by myself. I backed up to a hill and then pushed (slowed?) the motorcycle down as it rolled in to the truck bed. Would use 2 x 6 or such to transition from hill to vehicle.

It wasn't too bad because I had a good spot to do it. I agree would be pretty treacherous without!

GDI
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK - I think I "got" it.

Was thinking I could make a "rack" of some sort & fasten it to truck bed. Then have a winch to help me pull bike up. After reading the responses, I'm going to forget trying to load the bike without a helper or two. Thanks for all replies.

In God we trust. All others pay cash.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

helper or 2 is just about required, as if the bike fell down on top of you without someone around, we may loose a valuable member..

remember, Shiat happens
boscoe likes this.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement