Insurance - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Insurance

What company do you guys use, what coverage do you have, and what is an estimate of what you spend annually?
Last year I had Progressive, the middle level liability, comp/collision with a $250 deductible, and I paid $550 for 12 months. Seems too high.
I have NO money for insurance his season, but am dying to ride, literally. What other companies should I look at?

'99 VN750 with 8900 miles and growing (3,111 when I bought it 03-22-08)
Ear shave with Unipods
Drilled mufflers and degoat
TOC springs
N/C Street shield EX windshield
Jumbo Saddleman Highway Studded saddlebags
Willie and Max Saddlebag mounting kit
License plate turn signals
Home made sissy bar
Luggage Rack from Scoop
http://youtube.com/user/99vulcan750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I use Allstate and pay a little over $200 yr.

Alot of other riders I know around here like State Farm too.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Unfortunetly where you live , your age and driving history make comparing other folks rates useless. The first part, "where you live" matters alot. I know from a friend in the insurance business that in some cases just moving a block down the street can save you 100 bucks a year.

Personaly I hate Progressive, I currently have Liberty Mutual, but will likely switch to Geico (as soon as those speeding tickets fall off the chart...lol)

If you are looking to save money, just get whatever insurance your state requires and nothing else. Most companies have minimum policies available. This of course means if you wreck your bike , It will not be covered, only other property you might damage would be. If someone hits you of course, (and are insured) they would pay repair costs (if it found to be their fault).

Most folks I know with older used cars or used bikes go this route. No sence insuring the thing for theft if you are fairly certain no one would want to steal it anyway...lol

Since my bike is new, I carry the higher end insurane with a low deductable. I pay around 800 a year (on a $14,000 bike) but, as I mentioned you can't compare others rates unless they live next door to you, are the same age, and have the same driving history. I know folks that are in my age group that pay less and some that pay almost 2 times what I pay....only because they live somewhere else.

Bottom line is shop around, most companies have online estimates available, you can also call a insurance broker, who will do all the comparing for you.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 03-08-2009 at 04:51 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

KM- I know that the personal information will make a solid answer almost impossible. I solely wanted to get an idea of the companies people are using and an approximate price range for the company. I already planned on taking into consideration the age, location, driving history, and months of use per year. There is a great possibility of me moving to NE Wyoming in May or June, that will change the availability of companies and the price as well. so, I was curious about the companies available what what people are pleased with. If they chose a certain company over others, it's usually because it's coverage is better/cheaper.

'99 VN750 with 8900 miles and growing (3,111 when I bought it 03-22-08)
Ear shave with Unipods
Drilled mufflers and degoat
TOC springs
N/C Street shield EX windshield
Jumbo Saddleman Highway Studded saddlebags
Willie and Max Saddlebag mounting kit
License plate turn signals
Home made sissy bar
Luggage Rack from Scoop
http://youtube.com/user/99vulcan750
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:16 PM

On my 99, i pay $140 a year. Could of got it for $75 a year, but that was the basic plan. I use Georgia Farm Bureau.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Dairyland in wyoming is a good company. I use an on line company and spend about
$160 a year and have several tickets in my record. I used progressive through USAA and was over $400 a year. When I get home I can give you the name of the online company if you wish.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns

Last edited by rckmtn; 03-08-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:31 PM

i paid $90.00 for the year, progressive. clean record. been with them for 4 years now. whin i first got the bike it was $130 a year.

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

http://youtube.com/user/cm4cm5
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Old Truck Junkie

This comming year I will be paying 76$. I use liability and person covereage. It also covers a passanger. The bike is not covered, for 2000$ bike I will buy another one, then again I may not buy anything more. But you know what I am saying. Oh yes from Dairyland cycle Insurance.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

My Ins. has been running around $180-$200 yr. for hefty liability (CRS) and $500 deduct plus uninsured motorist which I think is a good thing...
With Progressive and GEICO also... I do have a good record also, being in my 2nd childhood didn't hurt me I don't think...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99vulcan750 View Post
If they chose a certain company over others, it's usually because it's coverage is better/cheaper.

Better/cheaper are of course two different things. I think most folks only rate their insurance on what they pay, and then...maybe...on how well they handle claims. Many switch from one company to another solely based on cost, and have never filed a claim with any of them. This makes what happens when you really need them there for you questionable.

All I can say is when I got rear-ended in my car, my insurance company, Geico , was extremely nice to deal with and went out of their way to make sure I was completely satisfied. I know on our cars we are saving around 300 a year since we switched to them. I have had other insurance companies that were not as quick to respond, although I have not had any particular problem with them, given the fact that in my life I think I have only filed two claims...

My question on some of the "discount" online insurance companies would be how good their service is, when you need it.

Those that do have what they think is good coverage are sometimes surprised to find out that alot of stuff they thought might be covered , is not.
So make sure you ask specificly things like:

How much am I allowed for accessories I added to my bike? Or or they even covered? (That 600 dollar GPS may or may not be covered)

In an accident is my protective gear covered by replacement cost? (Helmets, Jackets , may or may not be covered)

If your motorcycle is your only means of transportation, you should consider having a rental or loaner car feature.

Sorry, I was not trying to imply that you were not aware of the vast differences in cost due to age or location, just pointing it out for all eyes here.
Insurance is a bit like an oil thread, there will be those that say their company is best and others that might say they did not care for them. The majority as memtioned will talk about savings on cost, but have no real clue on what the company is like to deal when filing a claim. And there is always someone with a horror story about some company.

My feeling is , much like oil...to stick with companies that have a well known name , Like Shell. Mobil , Farmers or Geico. But no ones reccomendation will mean anything if your estimate is higher with them than someone else, especialy if cost is you major criteria.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement