HELP!! Bike died on me today - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy HELP!! Bike died on me today

Howdy Folks --

I need your help! My Vulcan died on my while riding today and I had to have it towed home. Fortunately, I subscribe to AARP towing service, but I was stranded by the side of the road for over an hour in a not-so-nice neighborhood. Everything went dead as I was cruising along. It behaved as if I hit the emergency red "off" button. I checked this first but of course the button was in the "on" position.

When I turn the key on there is nothing--no lights, no instrument panel indicator lights, dead start button, etc--nothing.

This bike is a 94 with about 9k miles, and it's been sitting somewhat neglected for quite a while. I would imagine it's probably something electrical.

The only thing I've done recently is last night I degoated using the Scootworks bypass kit. The only thing different is that the center stand rests in a different spot than previously.

I'm truly electrically challenged. I've read about checking all the electrical connections, but I'm not sure where they all are.

I really need your help! Thanx in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:35 PM

I suggest that you check the "master" or main fuse (30 amp). It's located in the fuse box under the left-hand plastic side cover.

'02 VN 750
>67,000 miles
stator replaced @ 50,570 miles
forks rebuilt @ 58,900 miles
currently on third battery & sixth set of tires
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If the master fuse is good check to make sure the wire connector did not fall off the kickstand switch. Does the dashboard light up when the key is on? Does the bike crank when you push the starter button? If there is no electrical at all, take off the seat and check to make sure one of the battery cables did not disconnect. You have to give more symptom information to be able to narrow the possible problem. Good luck

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twtinkertoy View Post
I suggest that you check the "master" or main fuse (30 amp). It's located in the fuse box under the left-hand plastic side cover.
Thanx TW -- I'll check the fuse box first thing tomorrow!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemguy View Post
If the master fuse is good check to make sure the wire connector did not fall off the kickstand switch. Does the dashboard light up when the key is on? Does the bike crank when you push the starter button? If there is no electrical at all, take off the seat and check to make sure one of the battery cables did not disconnect. You have to give more symptom information to be able to narrow the possible problem. Good luck
Thanx Gemguy--

I'll check the kickstand switch and battery cables!

1. dashboard does not light up when the key is on

2. the bike does not crank when I push the starter button

Everything is totally dead.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 12:00 AM

Garage
I had the same problem with my 94. The main 30a fuse blew. I traced it down to a wire rubed through and shorted out the circuit. You don't have to be electrically challenged to find an exposed wire. There should be a diagram of the fuses under the cover when you pull it off. You probably have a spare under there and don't know it.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Now what

Mine went dead on the road because the battery cable came loose Check that first because it's incredibly easy. Like shark88, my main fuse kept blowing because a screw head rubbed through the insulation. There's a harness that runs from one side of the bike to the other. It goes across, behind the battery. Mine was zip tied tightly to the frame and that was what caused it to rub one of those screws that are right there. I loosened it up and all's been fine since.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Blown Fuse--You Guys were Right!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Mine went dead on the road because the battery cable came loose Check that first because it's incredibly easy. Like shark88, my main fuse kept blowing because a screw head rubbed through the insulation. There's a harness that runs from one side of the bike to the other. It goes across, behind the battery. Mine was zip tied tightly to the frame and that was what caused it to rub one of those screws that are right there. I loosened it up and all's been fine since.
Hey Ironman, Shark, Gemguy, Tinkertoy and fellow Vulcaneers --

Your advice was right on the money!!! I replaced a blown fuse and it cranked up immediately. However, I am confused about a couple of things.

1. My fuse box has installed four 10 amp fuses and two spare fuses (one 10 & one 30). There is no installed 30 amp fuse, only the spare 30. All four installed fuses are 10 amps.

2. The diagram under the fuse cover also shows the same thing ( four 10 amp fuses and two spares)

3. The diagram on page 340 of the Clymers manual shows 4 installed fuses. However, it shows three 10 amps and one 30 amp, the 30 being the main fuse.

4. It appears that the fuse that blew is in the 30 amp main fuse location.

5. Do I replace the blown 10 amp fuse with a 30 amp? Is the diagram wrong? Are there supposed to be three 10 amp and one 30 amp?

6. Is it possible that the 10 amp fuse blew because it's too small and needs to be a 30 amp, or do I need to keep looking for a frayed wire? I could not find any frayed wires in the harness around the battery area. Are these fuses available at the Auto Parts stores?

I'm not riding again until I hear from you guys!

I was really disappointed and P.O.ed last night left stranded on the road, but with your help I'm feeling better about Mr. Spock once again! I sincerely appreciate the help you've given me!

--
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:27 PM

Garage
I'd say it's possible that the 10a fuse just blew because it was overloaded. I went through 3 main fuses before I found my short. Give it a try, but be sure to carry a spare pack. They are usually sold in packs of 5 or more.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
The Professor

Replace the blown main fuse with a 30A and you will be good to go.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS