Too good to be true... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Too good to be true...

Well seemed to have a battery/charging issue...had to walk my a** home couple months ago.Shop says "needs a battery",so I dropped in a sealed battery.Figured worries over...start/ran great!Then 2-3 weeks go buy...Vulkan draggin that starter,wont start!!Nothin but Rrr,Rrr,Rrr....!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 02:51 PM

Time to give the battery a nice slow, low amp trickle charge, then test the stator and r/r. Quick, higher amp charging is death for small batteries or deep cells.

Might be time for a stator, r/r, or the black hole in the JB has been activated. Two-wire mod helps with the last one, but the other two have to test good.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:34 PM

Garage
Do you have a multimeter? Check the battery voltage before starting, and after starting. The voltage should go up to indicate that it's being charged.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 02:09 PM

Garage
It probably wouldn't hurt to check the starter also. My first VN750 had a somewhat slow crank that I figured was just a characteristic of the bike. So much so that I didn't really notice that sometimes the starter almost seemed to have a dead spot. Seemed like it was just the engine was hard to turn over. When overhauling it the starter finally stopped working completely. I thought it was an electrical issue and only tested the starter after exhausting all else because it never occurred to me. I have never had a bike starter go out on me before. I had it rebuilt and its a night and day difference. Now I picked up a second VN750 and the starter is very weak. I recognized it right away and am only waiting on nicer weather to replace it.

- "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

'92 VN750
AGM battery, Iridium Spark plugs, Repaired/upgraded wiring per Mcinturff method, RLU removed, Repaired shift linkage, Exhaust baffles removed, Black ISO grips installed, installed SH775 R/R, Ignition coil relay mod, replaced stator housing.

Future projects: whatever it takes to keep riding

Currently working on: Light bar, LED upgrades, Dash cleanup/paint
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:25 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Usually not the starter. I've taken this one apart and rebuilt and it is built pretty solid. Testing the battery under load would tell you if it's probably the stator. If the battery is fine the I put money on the ignition switch.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:30 AM
I'm a rider

Garage
You can do the pickup shave mod to mask a lot of start issues if you want to ride ďmostlyĒ troublefree until you figure out the real source. Iíve found that when you only need half a rotation to start the engine your chances of it starting are much greater even if bump starting it. That covers most anything, but If itís ignition switch related nothing will help until you address it.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.

Last edited by One1; 02-22-2018 at 05:32 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks....seems like my new battery good for 4-5 starts...then rrrr,rrrr,rrrr.Yes its showing "GREEN" on a battery tender...full charge.Start drove to work,start leave work for lunch,start leave (Subway) for work,start leave work for town....then I noticed the rpm's drop and she quits.No restart!!Like most people you ride out...you eventually would like to make it home!!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 12:33 AM
I'm a rider

Garage
Is the battery dead or will it restart after cooling?

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:19 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Some batteries are bad out of the box. I got a cheap Chinese battery for the Vulcan and it lasted 18 months. It showed 12+ volts, but had zero amps. Got a USA made replacement battery, and it's still good almost 10 years later.
OleDirtyDoc likes this.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Took the bike by Advance Discount,kid said battery tested "bad",so we dropped in a new one.Next day to "double check" took bike to shop...after 10 min and 35 bucks they said "Bad news,its the STATOR".Now I'm screwed...cant put 5-6-7 hundred into that repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement